Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, May 13, 2013, 06:53:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

I like how my local theater is having screenings of it each week. I'll keep on going until I feel like there's no hope for the show.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

GregX

I'm not liking the show either, but I have hope for it. Which is more than I can way about "Legend of Korra" ... that show can't die fast enough.

Peanutbutter

Thought you said you didn't hate either show on your blog?

GregX

Quote from: Peanutbutter on October 09, 2013, 04:25:13 PM
Thought you said you didn't hate either show on your blog?

I believe I said "I want to like them." I don't hate AoS, I just don't like it yet. I do hate "Legend of Korra" though.

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: GregX on October 09, 2013, 04:31:21 PM
I believe I said "I want to like them." I don't hate AoS, I just don't like it yet. I do hate "Legend of Korra" though.

http://gregxb.blogspot.com/2013/10/shows-i-want-to-like.html:
QuoteI don't hate these shows, but I don't like them either.

:humhumhum:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I don't hate Legend of Korra, myself, but it IS a considerably big step down in quality from The Last Airbender. Personally, though, I did enjoy Book 1, and I think that Book 2 has some positive points to it and generally gets a bit more flak than it deserves, but once again, I'm acknowledging that it has a ton of flaws. Then again, it takes a lot to get me to downright hate something. Stuff like Thundercats 2011 and Teen Titans are shows that I just personally really dislike, but at the same time I don't feel passionate enough about my negative opinions toward them to hate them, either. It takes something that's Ultimate Spider-Man levels of terrible to get me to downright hate a show.

As for Agents of Shield, my biggest problem with it so far is that it's completely unremarkable in every way possible. I know it's just the first season, but I would have expected a Joss Whedon show to be able to come off as a lot more interesting than these first few episodes have been. I mean, yeah, Buffy season 1 wasn't so hot and has aged pretty poorly for the most part, but I thought Angel season 1 was great, and Firefly only lasted 1 season and is arguably Joss Whedon's best show. So, I don't really think that being experimental in its first season is much of an excuse that AoS could have the luxury of using. Still, like I said, I'm going to stick with this series throughout the entire run of its first season. I'm invested enough in the Marvel Movie Universe in order to have faith that this production can step up its game.

Spark Of Spirit

He also did Dollhouse. I don't even think Whedonites think much of that one.

I really enjoyed his work on the movie and was hoping some of that would carry on to the show considering his pedigree. But so far it's just boring. Really, really boring.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on October 09, 2013, 05:53:29 PMHe also did Dollhouse. I don't even think Whedonites think much of that one.

I still haven't gotten around to watching that show, yet, which is why I did't mention it.

QuoteI really enjoyed his work on the movie and was hoping some of that would carry on to the show considering his pedigree. But so far it's just boring. Really, really boring.

I don't really agree that it's boring. I enjoy any moments with Agent Coulson on screen, and I do find that some of the humor comes through every now and then, but for the most part I just get a huge "been there, done that" feeling from the way that these characters, and consequently their development, are being handled. In truth, none of Joss Whedon's shows or movies that I've seen ever really had very sharp story-telling (many of them have a tendency to be all over the place in terms of plot, and feel kind of sloppy upon closer analysis), but they made up for it with great characterization, IMO. I mean, just look at  The Avengers. If you look at the plot, it's just a bunch of superheroes teaming up to fight off an alien invasion. There's nothing remarkable about that in and of itself. The reason it was a great film was because it was all about the characters, their interactions, and their further development. Basically, that's what really made the movie memorable in the first place. With AoS, it doesn't matter that these characters don't have superpowers to rival the big heroes of the Marvel Movie Universe, but it also doesn't mean that they can't be just as interesting, if not even more so, as characters in and of themselves. So far, aside from Coulson, these are the most "meh" characters that I have ever seen out of a Joss Whedon production, but to be fair, that's only so far.

Spark Of Spirit

That's basically what I mean by it being boring. The story is nothing special so far and most of the characters are just dull. There's nothing pulling me into wanting more. Yes, Coulson is nice, but he's really about the only thing that stands out to me.

If it later builds to something good, then I'll be all up for it. But as of now I just don't find it worth spending my time.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Peanutbutter

What about the characters are so dull? Granted I have only seen the first episode, but from the first episode Hill, Coulson, Ward, and Skye I thought were all fun. I'll admit Ming-Na's character didn't grab my attention, and that British duo didn't do much for me either. But what's wrong with the others?  :??:

Avaitor

Quote from: Peanutbutter on October 09, 2013, 06:30:46 PM
What about the characters are so dull? Granted I have only seen the first episode, but from the first episode Hill, Coulson, Ward, and Skye I thought were all fun. I'll admit Ming-Na's character didn't grab my attention, and that British duo didn't do much for me either. But what's wrong with the others?  :??:
Well for my personal tastes, I don't hate Skye. She's easily the best at handing out Whedon-esq quips, besides the MCU regulars obviously. I do feel like her mystery angle is a bit ineffective though, and she almost borderlines on Moffat territory with it, which is where I can see her dislike coming from. Fitzsimmons also have their moments, but their material tends to be more dopey than likable. Fitz in particular bugs me when he says something inappropriate, like the reference to his "thing" in the pilot. That's got to be the most groan-worthy grab for humor I've seen Joss do, and even speaking as a big fan, I can say that is no easy feat.

I have no love for Ward though. David Sims and I agree that he's basically the show's equivalent of Riley, and lord knows we don't need another one of him on a Whedon show. I also don't feel anything for Melinda yet, and they really seem to be building her up to be the show's breakaway character.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

GregX

Quote from: Cartoon X on October 09, 2013, 05:22:19 PM
Quote from: GregX on October 09, 2013, 04:31:21 PM

http://gregxb.blogspot.com/2013/10/shows-i-want-to-like.html:
QuoteI don't hate these shows, but I don't like them either.

:humhumhum:

So, I didn't remember what I said and you found it, congratulations on finding that... I suppose I'll be charged with perjury any minute now.

Times change, things evolve... so do opinions. And in my opinion "Legend of Korra" is a piece of hack shit. The more thought I give it, the more I despise it.

Dr. Insomniac

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: GregX on October 09, 2013, 08:37:26 PM

Times change, things evolve... so do opinions. And in my opinion "Legend of Korra" is a piece of hack shit. The more thought I give it, the more I despise it.

Well of course opinions change. I'm no stranger to that myself.

The reason I pointed that out was because I found it humorous that you went from not hating Legend of Korra to thinking it's utter shit in only 4 days. I mean, not even an hour ago you've just called it a "piece of hack shit;" was that something you thought you would have said, or would be saying, a week ago? Opinions sure do evolve quick, don't they?  :il_hahaha:

GregX

Quote from: Cartoon X on October 09, 2013, 09:29:56 PM
Quote from: GregX on October 09, 2013, 08:37:26 PM

Well of course opinions change. I'm no stranger to that myself.

The reason I pointed that out was because I found it humorous that you went from not hating Legend of Korra to thinking it's utter shit in only 4 days. I mean, not even an hour ago you've just called it a "piece of hack shit;" was that something you thought you would have said, or would be saying, a week ago? Opinions sure do evolve quick, don't they?  :il_hahaha:

Your point?