Popular Opinions You Hold About Anime

Started by Foggle, May 13, 2013, 06:58:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Cowboy Bebop is a classic show with excellent music and action, plus a dub that still holds up very well.

Dr. Insomniac

Gen Urobuchi is a good writer who can utilize mature storytelling without resorting to absolute nihilism to get his point across.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

-Dragon Ball is a true classic that deserves its recognition as not only one of the best shonen anime ever, but should also be regarded among the best of the best as far as all anime classics go.

-Even though I have quite a lot of problems with the current run of the manga (its slowly getting better again, though), One Piece honestly deserves most of its vast popularity. I think you guys who put it down just don't find the appeal in it, which is fine, but when Oda does it right, its a legitimately good series for what it aims to be.

-The "moe" genre is shit with no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

-Summer Wars kicks ass.

-Most older shonen series are generally better than almost all of the new stuff that comes out. Its not nostalgia talking. Its not just appreciation for them for being old and setting the standards of many future shonen series to come. Its not even ignoring many of the flaws that they do have. It just is what it is, in that on the whole, flaws or not, they are generally better written than and far better executed at whatever they set out to do than at least 99% of most modern shonen series that come out today. Stuff like Yu Yu Hakusho will always, always, ALWAYS be better than something like Bleach or Beelzebub. The few naysayers just wouldn't know quality entertainment if it bit their dick off.

The Shadow Gentleman

-Trigun is awesome and Wolfwood is the most badass preacher in all anime

-Madoka is a well told story that puts a lot of modern anime to shame.

Avaitor

Ouran High School Host Club>almost any other anime in its range
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

LumRanmaYasha

Um, is it a popular opinion to like Ranma 1/2 more than InuYasha, and like Urusei Yatsura more than either of them?

In any case,

- Yu Yu Hakusho is the best anime adaption of a children's manga ever.

- One Piece is the best children's manga currently running.

- Bleach's best arc was the Soul Society arc, and everything after it has been total shit.

-Cowboy Bebop is a masterpiece and one of the greatest anime cartoons television series ever made.

- Cowboy Bebop has the best soundtrack of any anime cartoon television show ever.

- Urusei Yatsura is a classic anime comedy that deserves it's lasting popularity in Japan to this day.

- Urusei Yatsura: Beautiful Dreamer is the best Urusei Yatsura movie.

- Pokemon's first season, despite it's flaws, is still the most enjoyable season of the entire series, although the series as a whole is still mediocre.

- Case Closed is awesome and it's sad that the series did not catch on here in America.

- Dragonball GT isn't very good.

- Madoka Magica tells an intelligent and thoughtful story that outclasses most of it's peers aiming at the young girls demographic.

- Trigun's anime is slightly better than it's manga.

- Ouran High School Host Club and Fruits Basket are the best young girls' anime and manga.

- School Rumble is hilarious and should have gotten a full third season.

- Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo's anime should not have been cancelled for the reason that it did.

- Tenchi Muyo's first two ova series were the best of it's franchise.

- Evangelion was Gainax's best anime.

I can't really think of many more of the top of my head right now, but I'm afraid I might have already said unpopular opinions instead of popular ones in any case. Oh well.  :P

Foggle

Quote from: Cartoon X on May 13, 2013, 07:50:34 PM
- Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo's anime should not have been cancelled for the reason that it did.
Why was it cancelled?

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Foggle on May 13, 2013, 08:00:16 PM
Why was it cancelled?

From what I heard, japanese soccer moms complained to TV Asahi that the show was inappropriate for children because it's main characters were not good role models, what with them beating up and abusing each other in comedic ways and whatnot. Also because the series had quite a few sexual innuendos and other risky jokes that were also not considered appropriate for a children's series.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

There are SO MANY other Shonen Jump series that are guilty of all of those claims. Why the hell was Bo-Bo singled out?

LumRanmaYasha

Well...not many other Jump series have main characters who crossdress frequently, have gay subtext jokes with each other, beat each other up in violent ways, most of the time spontaneously, fight with nose hair, and have the sorts of facial expressions the series had. It is also of note that the manga is anime is adapted from is even more over the top with it's violence and innuendos and in fact seems more oriented to older audiences than 7-12 year olds a lot of the time (although at it's core it is meant to be a children's manga). And unlike other series like One Piece and Bleach that have lots of violence but do it in a dramatic way that shows consequences (to some degree) and preach good values like never giving up and the value of friendship and whatnot, Bobobo avoids or subverts such tropes for comedy, and in fact makes fun of a lot of those concepts as part of it's many (often subtle) jabs at the general formula and tropes of shonen action-adventure series.

I honestly don't know why Bobobo of all shows was cancelled for content over other series, especially since in Japan Bleach premieres were aired alongside Dora the effin' Explorer of all things, but I know from what I heard that Bobobo got solid ratings before it was taken off and that the reason it was pulled was said to be from parental complaints.  :??:

SSJ Jake

I will say that I'm surprised the Dundie character (the pair of underwear with a Duck's head and neck...yeah) in Bo-bobo even made it on American television without being edited.

YOU AM NO REAL SUPER SAND

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Here's another one:

-FUNimation is easily the best company in regard to releasing quality English dubs and also in terms of packaging their DVDs into really convenient bundles. There's a reason why companies like Geneon and ADV have went under while FUNimation has been among the few North American anime distributors to still stay alive. Of course, FUNi started out with a terrible DBZ dub, but they have quickly improved since then over time.

gunswordfist

Shonen is addictive. I plan on watching all non-filler Naruto if I ever get a chance. I was going to say Bleach but I see how that could drive me crazy.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 13, 2013, 07:09:22 PM
-Dragon Ball is a true classic that deserves its recognition as not only one of the best shonen anime ever, but should also be regarded among the best of the best as far as all anime classics go.

-Even though I have quite a lot of problems with the current run of the manga (its slowly getting better again, though), One Piece honestly deserves most of its vast popularity. I think you guys who put it down just don't find the appeal in it, which is fine, but when Oda does it right, its a legitimately good series for what it aims to be.

-The "moe" genre is shit with no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

-Summer Wars kicks ass.

-Most older shonen series are generally better than almost all of the new stuff that comes out. Its not nostalgia talking. Its not just appreciation for them for being old and setting the standards of many future shonen series to come. Its not even ignoring many of the flaws that they do have. It just is what it is, in that on the whole, flaws or not, they are generally better written than and far better executed at whatever they set out to do than at least 99% of most modern shonen series that come out today. Stuff like Yu Yu Hakusho will always, always, ALWAYS be better than something like Bleach or Beelzebub. The few naysayers just wouldn't know quality entertainment if it bit their dick off.
Don't most fans think Bleach or Naruto is better? I know there's lots of Toonami era fans but I think the Narutards and etc outweigh us.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Quote from: gunswordfist on May 14, 2013, 03:06:25 PM
Shonen is addictive. I plan on watching all non-filler Naruto if I ever get a chance. I was going to say Bleach but I see how that could drive me crazy.
You should watch all of One Piece. All of it. Every episode and special. In order.