Popular Opinions You Hold About Anime

Started by Foggle, May 13, 2013, 06:58:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: gunswordfist on June 26, 2014, 06:00:05 PM
:SHOCK: It's actually bad? Fuck, I wanted to give Buu saga a try with the Kai version.
The anime is too fundamentally ingrained in order to substantially change it like Namek.

If you didn't like it before, there was really nothing they could do to make you like it now.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: gunswordfist on June 26, 2014, 06:00:05 PM:SHOCK: It's actually bad? Fuck, I wanted to give Buu saga a try with the Kai version.

Kai can't fix an arc that was already adapted poorly in the original anime as it was. Give the Buu saga another try in the manga, instead. You'd be far better off.

gunswordfist

:'( I'll just wait 20 years when someone else reanimates the whole thing.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

LumRanmaYasha

No, no, no. Those are all well and fine gripes and all, but the most aggravating problem is that the damn thing is 69 fucking episodes long. The original arc was 92 episodes long in Z. They aren't even cutting down a third the amount of episodes with this! What's more, the music selection and usage is shitty and the re-editing is crap too. And the most stupid thing is that Japan's version is 52 episodes. Yes, it's 17 episodes shorter than the international version. Yes, Toei made two damn versions of this thing for no goddamn reason. That's the thing I'm pissed off about! Kai was supposed to be all about cutting out the filler, and not only is that barely being done, but it's being executed in a way far worse than the original and it's clear Toei cared as little as possible making this shit since they knew they'd be raking in dough anyway since it's fucking DBZ. It doesn't help that even the opening and ending themes in both versions are shit too (well, okay, the japanese version's ending theme is actually pretty cool).

God I hate Toei. If ruining Toriko's good name wasn't bad enough...

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

This is going into manga territory, but I'm not starting a brand new thread for it:

-The final villain plot twist in Naruto is one of the most godawful pieces of writing in all of fiction, as is most of the final story-arc in general (which, incidentally is over 200 chapters long)

-The epilogue for Naruto is every bit as bad as the notorious epilogue to Digimon Adventure 02, except it has a slight edge over it in that it's unintentionally hilarious

On another note:

-Haikyuu!! (anime) >>>>> manga

It's a generic shonen sports series, but at least the anime improves the pacing, has fluid animation with a sense of style, and has a pretty impressive OST

Spark Of Spirit

The epilogue in 02 is so bad. I finished watching 02 in Japanese and it's no better there. It's just as bad in every way. Whoever thought writing that was a good idea should have been demoted on the spot.

However Tri ends up, they need to make it their mission to render that monstrosity non-canon.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The scary thing is that, from the director of School Days, it could end up even worse....:whuh:

Speaking of which:

-School Days is quite literally THE worst anime that I have EVER seen

Spark Of Spirit

Well, he did direct some Rayearth, so at least he knows the genre. Grasping at straws, I know, but it's not like I can do much else.

The worst anime I have ever seen is Ninja Resurrection. And I hate ADV for lying to me and telling me it was a Ninja Scroll sequel.

gunswordfist

sasuke and aizen have cool haircuts. i have yet to see anything else i like about them though...well except that chidori is cool. that's literally it.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

LumRanmaYasha

I should probably watch the anime for Haikyuu! at some point, but I'm honestly don't feel very strongly towards the series on a story or character level (it took me like 50-60 chapters until I actually started to enjoy reading it), so it's hard for me to get motivated to do so.

As far as new popular opinions I have go:

- Steel Ball Run is the best part of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.

- Toriko hasn't been very good since the Air arc.

- Kenpachi vs. Gremmy is possibly not only one of the worst fights in Bleach, but in any shonen manga ever. I'm serious. It's THAT shitty.

- Death Parade is the best winter 2015 anime.

...and I can't think of any other ones I haven't already said in this thread before that aren't just "this show is amazing/sucks."

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

-While I do tend to feel that Desensitized gives Yoshihiro Togashi a bit more flak than he really deserves based on the fact that his output of quality work still far outweighs his bad writing, I do fully agree that his last several years have shown him to adopt some really cringe-worthy aspects of story-telling and characterization, and that he takes too many breaks and it has become a chore to follow HXH because of it. Even so, I'd still easily call Togashi one of the best shonen mangaka ever. When he's on his A-game, hardly anyone can come up with stories as unique and concepts as interesting as the ones that he does.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

As for Haikyuu!!, you're probably better off just skipping it since you already read the manga. It's more entertaining to watch the anime from a fresh perspective. As for the manga, it's probably the most "just OK" thing that I'm currently reading. I mean, it's mildly entertaining, but I can't fathom its popularity, especially with such lackluster artwork and an unoriginal story. Have none of these people ever read another sports manga besides this or KnB?

Spark Of Spirit

The manga version of the Three Kings arc in Yu Yu Hakusho is abysmal on every front.

The art is unbelievably lazy, go read even the early chapters and watch as Togashi goes out of his way on framing Yusuke's growing maturity in ways the anime picked up on then watch how his composition of everything falls apart around the chapter Yusuke meets Koenma after Chapter Black. If he actually did care about the story at that point, he either went mental and forgot everything he knew about art and manga or he had someone else draw it who had never drawn professional manga before.

The writing is insulting. He tries to build a twist out of one chapter to make it seem like Yusuke was "tricked" into killing "innocent" demons which fails on multiple fronts. First, every demon he fought was well known for centuries of being a terror, this "twist" essentially wants us to believe that the Demon World is full of idiots who can't remember that Rando was actually Joe Smith who worked at the Demon post office three hundred and forty five years ago. Second, this was never even hinted at before, not once, as I said before-- no set up. Third, this adds nothing whatsoever to the story and only detracts from it by being a worthless add-on that makes all the characters look stupid. The anime writers had brains, they cut that crap out. That's only one example.

The worst part, as bad as the art and writing is, is the execution. I liked the idea of Yusuke growing up so much that he was able to be the mediator that stopped a war from breaking out and was finally able to return home a changed man ready to begin his real life. That's what happened in the anime, anyway. In the manga, in the middle of a tournament, Togashi randomly cuts to Yusuke working out of noodle cart, a high school drop out, and basically running around doing odd jobs. There is no drama or sense to it, it just happens and Yusuke runs around looking like a hobo doing nothing of importance. Oh, there's a terrorist bombing or something that happens and the four main heroes are sent in to stop it, which, again, doesn't have any story purpose. Yusuke even utters a really corny line about Keiko that is so out of character that I have to wonder if Togashi knew he was writing something Yusuke Uremeshi would say and not Kuwabara trying to pick up random girls. Then it just sort of peters out.

How this relates to the thread is that, the anime managed to salvage anything remotely good about this arc, dump the mountains of crap (and there is a LOT of crap here) and not only relate it more to the characters (Hiei and Kurama, especially) but give it an ending that actually stays in line with the themes and storyline that was started back when Yusuke first died at the series start and everyone missed him (the flip from the first episode to the last where Yusuke was gone in both was a great idea) and how it all wraps up without any dopey story turns or everyone going out of character.

Whoever is in charge of adapting Togashi's stories to anime deserves a medal. Truly.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I recall Togashi saying in an interview that YYH was "ended out of selfishness." The implication being that he only kept writing it because he was contractually obligated to do so until the chief editor saw fit to end it due to a lack of popularity. If you think about it, the lack of quality of the last arc in the manga makes much more sense if he was purposely writing it to be a piece of shit just so that he could end it. While I think that he should have been more faithful to his fans, from what I hear WSJ editors were notoriously cruel and real hard-asses at the time, and Togashi despised working with them, so what happened with YYH was more of a slight on them than Togashi just forgetting how to actually write a good story.

The point being, though, that much like with any sort of production, it's really hard to tell what goes diwn behind the scenes, hence why I don't tend to point fingers at anyone in instances like this. Personally, I'm just grateful that we got 3 great arcs out of YYH, and the anine staff almost managed to fix the last one.

Spark Of Spirit

So Kubo's being trying to end Bleach since Soul Society?  :hayguyz:

I see what you're saying, but the anime really did it so, so much better. That's why I notice most people who hate Three Kings in the anime have never read the manga version. When they do, they suddenly see the anime version in a much better light. Because it really is well done despite the source material.