Daisuki

Started by Daikun, May 16, 2013, 04:21:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daikun

A new legal anime streaming site has launched today. Five big names in anime production have collaborated on this site and they're bringing free shows to the service, sub and dub, old and new.

Here's the list of shows currently on the service:

-Gundam SEED (HD Remaster) Episodes 1-5 sub
-Madoka Magica Episodes 1-5 sub
-Sword Art Online Episodes 1-5 sub
-Zeta Gundam Episodes 1-5 dub
-Prince of Tennis OVA: The National Tournament Episodes 1-5 sub
-Lupin III Series 2 Episodes 1-5 dub

One Piece should be coming to it soon as well as more Gundam shows.

Avaitor

Sweet!

I might take this chance to give more Lupin a chance, or rewatch Zeta.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

LumRanmaYasha

Lupin the Third's first two series and Fujiko Mine were already up on Hulu, so unless they get the third series I'm sticking to that for my Lupin fix. But their offer of lots of Gundam shows has me interested, since I have yet to watch and complete a single Gundam series...

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

As someone who's not a fan of the Gundam franchise, I highly recommend that you try 0080: War in the Pocket. Its a damn good series just for good characters and story, and requires no knowledge of the rest of the franchise to enjoy and appreciate. Its also  really short, at only 6 episodes long, so I'd say its worth giving a look if you haven't already tried it.

LumRanmaYasha

Thanks for the suggestion E-K! I'll watch War in the Pocket first. However, I also want to check out the original, Wing, G, 00, Unicorn, and AGE based on their favorable reputations around the net. Are they all worth checking out too?

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The last time I saw Wing was WAY back when it aired on Toonami. Personally, it bored me as a kid, but so did stuff like Rurouni Kenshin and Cowboy Bebop, which were shows that I came to like when I grew older, so maybe Wing would be in that same vein, but I kind of doubt it.

I also saw G Gundam as a kid and thought it was entertaining, but I have no idea if it still holds up now. Its essentially a very shonen, tournament-style take on Gundam, so its less sophisticated in story-telling and characterization than other series from the rest of the franchise, but you might still enjoy it for the fighting and laughably stereotypical international cast of characters.

As for the other Gundam series, I either haven't seen them or haven't seen enough of them to have a valid opinion on any of them. I have heard great things about Unicorn, though, and definitely plan to watch that at some point in time. I also know that Avaitor really likes the original Mobile Suit Gundam, but he told me to watch the compilation movies for that since they cut out the filler, so I'll probably get on that series whenever I manage to find the movies.

Avaitor

Oh god, please stay away from Wing.

The original, Zeta, 00 and Unicorn are totally worth checking out, though. And I do want to try out G again.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Avaitor on May 16, 2013, 09:26:04 PM
Oh god, please stay away from Wing.

What's wrong with Wing? Isn't that the Gundam series that all the nostalgic Toonami fans love, one of those shows like Dragonball Z and Outlaw Star that is remembered the most fondly from Toonami's golden age?  ???

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Its one of those shows that a lot of people seem to have fond nostalgic memories of, but a lot of actual Gundam fans seem to agree that it doesn't hold up well at all, and is only really remembered so fondly when looked at through nostalgia-goggled. All I can say is that I was one of those kids who just found the series too boring for my taste, but to be fair I haven't seen it in ages, so I can't fairly make a statement about the quality of the series. That said, I've heard plenty of reception on the series from people who's opinions I actually value and trust, and the general consensus is that its a show that's probably best left forgotten, hence why I've never been tempted to give it another shot, myself.

Jay L. Corbell

I have to say that my favorite was 0083: Stardust Memory... I've got it on DVD ;_;

I always tried to stay away from Wing, I found it boring and more of just... bigger BIGGER ROBOTS AND LASERS
Unless I'm thinking of SEED.

Although I've never watched more than two or three episodes of each, I really should give them a chance...

Spark Of Spirit

Wing is boring old-style shonen. Seed is boring new-style shonen.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Rynnec

The only thing I really remember from Wing was that the Gundam's were really cool. And that's pretty much it.

Rosalinas Spare Wand

There's also a survey with a list of potential shows they can pick up the rights to. Tons of unsubbed classics are in there, plus there's glorious Aikatsu.

Avaitor

Yeah, Wing is fun from nostalgia, but on its own, it just isn't that good.

You'd be hard-pressed to find a worse Gundam protagonist than Relena.

New blog!

Lord Dalek

Quote from: Avaitor on May 17, 2013, 11:05:09 AM
You'd be hard-pressed to find a worse Gundam protagonist than Relena.
Spoiler
[close]