South Park

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, December 31, 2010, 01:23:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I fully agree. And that doesn't just go for politics either. South Park rarely ever paints any subject matter of controversial nature in a purely negative light. On the contrary, it goes out of its way to point out how much of what it criticizes is not inherently a bad thing in and of itself. It's how deluded people get with concepts which they believe in to such ridiculous extremes that the show tends to make fun of.

Case in point: religion. I've seen people ignorantly label South Park as an anti-religious show. This is despite the fact that Trey and Matt have gone on record numerous times stating that they are not against religion. And in fact upon actual scrutiny of the show's commentary on religion, it becomes clear that very little of it is focused on making fun of any given religion itself. Instead it's always the extremists and religious zealots along with blind and ignorant followers that get lambasted by the show. Just like everything else, religion by itself is not portrayed as a bad thing.

South Park clearly takes the same stance with politics, as far as I can see.

Daxdiv

This totally slipped my mind, but the Season 20 premiere is tonight. In case it slipped anyone else mind, here is your reminder.

Peanutbutter

Already knew about it. Their first target is Colin Kapernick, and possibly Black Lives Matter. Can't wait to see if they continue off of last season's story arc. Either way I hope PC Principal is back tonight!

Daikun

Jeez. Season 20 already? It seems like season 18 was only a few months ago.

LumRanmaYasha

Really loving how they're handling their storyline this year. Gerald is becoming one heck of a villain, and in a real-world kind of sense too, and it's going to be interesting to see how he'll be outed and how the ramifications of his trolling will affect South Park beyond the girls breaking up with the boys. I actually felt really bad for Cartman in the recent episode: this is one of the few times where he really wasn't doing something wrong, and he was wrongfully punished. But I'm really enjoying how their tackling people's obsessiveness with their online personas and how they can't separate it from real life. Funny enough, Gerald seems the most well-adjusted and capable of separating his online self from his real life self, in spite of the fact he's a malicious monster on the web. I'm really curious to see where they'll go with this. And of course, I really want to know what the deal with the Member Berries is and how they'll factor into everything.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

This season is already everything that I hoped it would be. South Park is continuing with the season-long story arc route, and it's absolutely nailing it.

I love the joke about how quitting social media is seen as the same thing as suicide among the townsfolk of South Park. A really good jab at how over-obsessed our culture is with trying to stay online at all possible times.

I'll be interested to see Cartman's character arc this season since this is one of those rare instances where he didn't do anything wrong....well, OK, he did publicly humiliate the girls, but he's not the one doing it online.

Peanutbutter

Never thought one of the main character's dads would become the main villain (though Randy went hog wild being PC Principal's right-hand man, but that doesn't count because PC Principal wasn't a full villain). But I'll be darned if Gerald hasn't been killing it. People wanted South Park to mock the other side of people who use free speech to be scummy, well who fits that role better than Skank Hunt?

The funny thing is: other than trolling, Gerald hasn't even done anything destructive yet. He's so far only caused chaos to Kyle's school indirectly. I can't help wondering if this won't lead to something bigger especially with Mr. Garrison's campaign still going.

The best thing is they've actually found a way to make Cartman sympathetic. It helps a bit that he didn't do anything that bad all last season, but this time he's become a victim. What Stan and Kyle with the gang did was low, even in a real world sense breaking someone's stuff without hearing them out is terrible. I won't be surprised if they drop more crap on Cartman to the point of making the fans DEMAND he get his vengeance.

Dr. Insomniac

Well, no new episode next week. Especially sucks because of that cliffhanger.

Peanutbutter

I don't mind because it wasn't bad as last week's. Also, this just means its going to have two post Election episodes at the end.

Dr. Insomniac

Dr. Insomniac

Now I'm hearing right-wingers on 4chan complaining that South Park's shilling Hillary, as if calling her a turd sandwich several times and portraying her as unable to make up her own mind is really in favor of her. One thread in particular I'm reading is calling Trey Parker a degenerate for having a black stepson. Jeez.

Daxdiv

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on October 27, 2016, 12:02:15 AM
Now I'm hearing right-wingers on 4chan complaining that South Park's shilling Hillary, as if calling her a turd sandwich several times and portraying her as unable to make up her own mind is really in favor of her. One thread in particular I'm reading is calling Trey Parker a degenerate for having a black stepson. Jeez.

So... were you reading /pol/ or was /co/ being invaded by /pol/ in this instance?

Peanutbutter

Eh, 4Chan is going to be 4Chan. Whichever way it is, best we just talk about this season instead of worrying them.

I like that the Member Berries thing is coming to a head and now they're their own characters now. Cartman's fantasies were great. I loved that Kyle brought up his past through his Internet history. Obviously, Cartman is going to revert back to his normal self but part of me is hoping it won't be because of losing his girlfriend. I really like Heidi.

LumRanmaYasha

God, I hope they keep Cartman and Heidi together. Cartman being in a mutually loving and respectful relationship in spite of the kind of person he is is so interesting and has a lot of potential for humor and character dynamics outside of this season.

It's going to be interesting to see how they handle the post-election episode this year, as well how they'll use Garrison and Clinton in the remaining half of the season. But I really can't wait to see Gerald get a outed as a troll and the karmic payoff that'll come of that.

Daxdiv

I would find it funny if Heidi turned out to have a couple of personal demons like Cartman has. Who knows, maybe she hates Jewish people as well.