South Park

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, December 31, 2010, 01:23:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, I can imagine that Trey and Matt are getting pretty tired of doing South Park for so many years. Hell, I'm actually pretty surprised that they even renewed their contract to go up until 2013. I was actually predicting that 2011 would be the year of their last season, and now its 2011 and I hear that they are going to continue up to 2013. Well, while I am one of the few people who think a lot of complaints about the current state of the show are BS and that it still gets out some really quality episodes each season, I do think it should end soon before it really kills its tune and dies out from a lack of any good episodes at all. Right now its still one of my personal favorite animated comedy shows, so I'd rather that Trey and Matt quite while their ahead (well, at least while the show is still watchable) and get it over with by 2013.

Daxdiv

Part two of the current season starts today/tomorrow and from the description I've seen on South Park Studio website and my cable provider, they're tackling Asperger's Syndrome. Short version description I've seen for it is that Cartman has to cope with having AS. That and it does seem to have a plot point with Stan trying to get his life on track.

I'm actually quite curious to see how they'll be touching this issue of Apserger's and if Cartman either legitimately has this disease, if he's going to try to fake and milk the hell out of it like he did with Tourette or considering how there are probably a good number of people that are misdiagnosed with having AS if Cartman having this disease is just a mere misdiagnosis.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Interestingly, when I was a kid I was once misdiagnosed with ADD. I then saw another doctor about a year later who diagnosed with with Asperger's Syndrome (I was about 9 or 10 at the time), and that was basically on my school records for a few years. Later on a more sensible neurologist said that I don't exhibit most of the behaviors associated with Asperger's Syndrome but for some reason didn't actually have the authority to retract that diagnosis for some legal reasons or some shit like that. So, my official legal records still say that I Asperger's Syndrome but really while I had certain behavioral issues as a kid which might have convinced an earlier neurologist that I had such a condition, I think it was really just some issue that I had when I was younger that coincidentally had some of the behavioral patterns associated with the condition. Really, I'm perfectly normal now, but that diagnosis does still come in handy since it gets me some pretty convenient accommodations in school, lol.

Anyways, its always nice to see new episodes of South Pak are coming. I'm really interested to see how Stan's particular part of the story-line set up from the mid-season finale will end up panning out. I'm certainly glad that Trey and Matt aren't copping out, though, and totally resetting what happened in that episode, because it now makes for a really interesting character arc.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

New episode airs tonight. I wonder if anyone else besides me plans on checking it out....yeah, probably not.

Dr. Insomniac

I do want to know how they'll explain that cliffhanger from last episode. Will they just ignore it, will Stan be gone this season, or what?

Commode

I actually probably would watch it, except I don't have cable*.  Yeah, it sucks.

*Well, the ship has cable when we are in port, such as right now, but it's all shitty, the picture is fuzzy, and we only get like a third of the basic cable channels(and Comedy Central ain't one of them).
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Daxdiv

I'll be watching it. Right after the 9:30 repeat of the last episode.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, here is a list of Trey and Matt's top 15 personal favorite South Park episodes and their top 53 worst.

Aside from a couple of episodes in their favorite list which I just thought were trash (like Eat, Pray, Queef), I do generally like most of their picks for the best episodes. Also, while I enjoyed the Smurfs episode, I personally feel that "Breast Cancer Show Ever" is by far their best Cartman vs. Wendy episode.

As for their worst, I agree with them that in retrospect the first 2 seasons aren't very good, but personally I found Season 3 to have quite a bit of good in it, personally. At the very least episodes like Chinpokomon and Sexual Harassment Panda still get some decent laughs out of me. It is still very different from the direction that the show went in starting with season 4, but to me season 3 was at least the pinnacle of the more classic style of South Park, and while most of classic South Park wasn't very good, I felt that Season 3 was the one that managed to mostly get it right.

As for their other worst picks, I agree with most of them except for Stanley's Cup, which is an interesting pick on their part since based on their comments they don't even seem to hate it themselves (they even say that they love the ending), so I'm not sure why that episode is here, when I can think of much worse episodes to replace it (such as "Mystery of the Urinal Duece" or "The China Probrem").

Foggle

I hate Eat, Pray, Queef. Probably the second least funny episode of the entire series after A Million Little Fibers.

I still love the first three seasons. I'm hard-pressed to think of more than 10 episodes out of the entire 14.5 season run-time that I don't find hilarious.

South Park Is Gay and Stanley's Cup are great episodes. No idea why they're on here.

Avaitor

You know, I've never seen "Not Without My Anus". Comedy Central refuses to air it based on the controversy, and I never got season 2 on DVD or anything.

If I'm bored enough, I'll try to finally check it out.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on October 09, 2011, 01:07:08 PM
I hate Eat, Pray, Queef. Probably the second least funny episode of the entire series after A Million Little Fibers.

Well, at least they put "A Million Little Fibers" on their worst list. So, even they acknowledge that it sucks.

QuoteSouth Park Is Gay and Stanley's Cup are great episodes. No idea why they're on here.

South Park is gay is an alright episode. I don't think its great, but its certainly not one of their worst from my perspective, either. I love Stanley's Cup, though. It would honestly be one of my top 15 favorite episodes in the series.

Speaking of which, I'm thinking of doing my own "top" list of South Park's best episodes, but I'm not sure if I want to just do a straight top 15-25 or instead just do a list of my favorite episode from each season so far.

Foggle

Quote from: Avaitor on October 09, 2011, 01:41:22 PM
You know, I've never seen "Not Without My Anus". Comedy Central refuses to air it based on the controversy, and I never got season 2 on DVD or anything.

If I'm bored enough, I'll try to finally check it out.
Here you go. It's incredibly stupid, but then again, that's the point.

Avaitor

I like the rest of "South Park is Gay", but I do think that the Crab People thing was too much for me. I think that's when the "blame it on a cult or conspiracy" angle got played out for my taste.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on October 09, 2011, 01:47:07 PM
Speaking of which, I'm thinking of doing my own "top" list of South Park's best episodes, but I'm not sure if I want to just do a straight top 15-25 or instead just do a list of my favorite episode from each season so far.
I like the second idea. Makes for more diversity and would be a good read. :)

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, I was leaning more towards that one myself. Also, I was thinking of making it into a blog entry rather than just a regular post for this board, mostly because I don't contribute too many blog write-ups these days, but that's up to Avaitor if he's OK with me doing that or not. I'm fine with doing it either way, myself.