South Park

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, December 31, 2010, 01:23:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

That would be a great blog entry! I thought it was going to be one in the first place. ;)

Avaitor

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on October 09, 2011, 02:11:02 PM
Yeah, I was leaning more towards that one myself. Also, I was thinking of making it into a blog entry rather than just a regular post for this board, mostly because I don't contribute too many blog write-ups these days, but that's up to Avaitor if he's OK with me doing that or not. I'm fine with doing it either way, myself.
I don't see why it would be a problem. Go for it. :)
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Alright, I'll start working on that later tonight.

Oh yeah, speaking of tonight, I believe the making of South Park documentary is supposed to air tonight on CC as well. I'll make sure and try and remember to check that out. It should be pretty interesting.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Earlier I had a post with some of picks revealsed (mostly episodes that I was deciding between), but Avaitor wisely pointed out that it would be giving too much away to potential readers so I removed it accordingly. That said I still may ask for opinions of others in just a few cases when I have trouble deciding between episodes if only because there are a couple of seasons in which picking a favorite is way too hard or me to do myself. That said its still my own list so it'll still pretty much be my favorites, especially since I believe its nearly impossible to be "objective" about top picks for a series such as South Park, as different episodes mean radically different things to different people.

Daxdiv

Out of their worst episode picks, I'm sort of surprised to see Chef Goes Nanners, since that basically started their whole act structure where they tried to tie the main story to all the characters and I believe it was one of the few that started the "Tackling a current event" angle, since that story was based on the Georgia flag being deemed racist. In fact, all of season 4 started that angle with the earliest being the Quintuplets with them be a satire of the Cuban boy Elain Gonzalez.

I will say that I do agree with their top picks, like Trapped in the Closet, Warcraft, Weapons, T&P and Woodland Critter Christmas. WCC is my favorite Christmas episode that South Park has produced. I pretty much break out the season DVD it's on around Christmas time and watch it like the other holiday specials as well.

Out of their picks, I do question Eat, Pray, Queef as well since I thought it was boring episode as well. I get the message was about double standards and everything, but I can't remember anything funny about this episode. It's just there for me.

Mr. Big

I watched the documentary when it aired last night and ye-gads! That has to be one of the most grueling, back-breaking production process in a animated show. Having to stay overnight at the studio just so they can deliver the show on time? Which is Wednesday morning, just few hours before the show is set to air?

I also found it interesting that much of the voices are heavily manipulated on computer. Cartman's voice is REALLY different coming from Trey's mouth.

Daxdiv

That documentary was an interesting watch. I knew most of the stuff before hand thanks to their appearances on other shows like 60 Minutes and past interviews and such. I did figure that their scheduling would force them to do things quickly since they do only have a week or so to get the episode to Comedy Central.

I did like how they showed how certain ideas came to them, like the HumancentiPad, where it's inspiration came from a normal occurrence from Trey saying that iTunes had yet another update, he just clicks on the ToS and didn't read it. Then he wonders if anyone else does read it and got an idea from that.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I've really been enjoying the last couple of episodes of South Park. Last of the Meheecans was a really good Butters episode and Bass to Mouth was suitably hilarious in that over-the-top sort of way where South Park combines normal plot elements with their more ridiculous characters (such as Lemiwinks in this case).

Avaitor

I hear Selena Gomez was used in one of the new episodes. Is that true?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yes....she made a really brief appearance in Bass to Mouth.

Foggle

Just watched 1%.

Holy shit, I think this might be one of my all time favorite South Park episodes. Everything involving Cartman and his stuffed animals had me rolling. I haven't laughed this hard at SP in years.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I had some good laughs with 1% as well. I also find it to be fairly unique since most Cartman episodes either involve him being an ass-hole or somehow gaining a high position of power. This one went a bit into how fucked up his psyche was, which is also a hilarious side of him.

My favorite episode for this part of the season so far was probably Bass to Mouth, with Last of the Meheecans and 1% being pretty funny episodes themselves. My favorite of the entire season so far (with the only episode left to come out being the season finale, this week), has been City Sushi.

Daxdiv

My favorite episodes of this half season are a tie between 1%, Bass to Mouth, and the Broadway Brodown. Maybe it's the part of me that loves going to a Broadway show or poking fun at the "bro" phenomenon, maybe it has something to do with Shelly getting some focus since she is the most neglected member in the Marsh household. Let's face it, when was the last time she got this much focus? I don't know, I laughed my ass off on this episode.

Bass to Mouth was a good satire of the Wikileaks, especially with Stan showing his hypocrisy about the whole thing saying it was OK when it wasn't him, but when it was him he cared and wanted to get the site shut down.

Foggle

Is it just me or has season 16 been terrible so far? Have barely laughed at any of the episodes. Last season's The Poor Kid was also pretty bad IMO.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Uh, I completely disagree with you. Cash for Gold was fucking hilarious. It didn't rely on many cheap gimmick running gags and had genuinely well-written humor, especially with Cartman.

As for the other 2 episodes that have aired thus far, they aren't anything special, I'll give you that, but I'd say they are far from terrible. I notice that most people think of South Park as a hit or miss show, and think episodes either suck beyond belief or are outrageously funny. I must be the only person in the world who can look at a South Park episode and get a decent amount of laughs out of it but not think its anything too stand-out or complete and utter garbage at the same time. Maybe that's why I'm the only person I know who still enjoys the series for what it is. :??: