TV Tropes

Started by Peanutbutter, May 22, 2013, 12:54:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peanutbutter

Here's the setup....

QuoteUnfortunately yes, that's it. The sad reality about animated shows is that they are merchandise driven, especially action shows like Thundercats, Young Justice, and Sym-Bionic Titan. If a toyline doesn't produce money the show won't stay on air.

It really sucks though.

QuoteMany a good show have died due to the merchandise heavy nature of Animation.

Quote@Lionheart. Symbonic Titan was a tad unfair as it did not even have a toyline.

QuoteSo why did they cancel it?

QuoteNo toyline.

Call it an excuse if you want, but those type of shows cost money to produce, and a toyline is required to keep them on the air. It's been that way for years, it being a show you like being the one put on the chopping block doesn't change that.

QuoteHell currently most action shows are funded directly THROUGH there toyline.

Most of Young Justice was paid for via it's Toyline and without it, it became unprofitable enough that they found the better move to just make a different show instead of season 3.

Snyder's not the devil, just a Businessman doing his job.

Blame Mattel.

And now the punchline....

QuoteActually that's not the reason. The real reason was a contract dispute between Genndy and CN. They made up the thing about the toy line as an excuse because if lack of toy sales was the problem they should have just made a toy line rather then pull the plug.

Quote[citation needed] on that.

QuoteOur very site.

QuoteOur site that prides itself on not needing sources for information? That site?

QuoteWhere's the actual proof of the contract dispute though. Hell, just saying it was a contract dispute is vague in and of itself since no one actually knows what the dispute was.

QuoteWell I don't know if the rumor is baseless considering its on the main page of the show on this site and has not been removed.

>_<

Indeed, for a long while that rumor was on their page, until the mod who happened to be in this conversation pulled it. Just one of many examples of how screwed up TV Tropes is. Discuss away.

gunswordfist

I'll miss. One of the best recent shows.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Daxdiv

I always felt that the "no citation/source" needed is probably one of the biggest double edge swords on that site when it comes to editing. For me, that encourages making shit up or just listening to rumors without any source.

Other than that, I do go there from time to time to look up info on some shows and games I like to play/watch.

Peanutbutter

Here's a Tumblr that provides a great amount of good criticism  directed at TV Tropes.

http://fucknotvtropes.tumblr.com/

Daxdiv

Quote from: Peanutbutter on November 18, 2013, 06:51:07 PM
Here's a Tumblr that provides a great amount of good criticism  directed at TV Tropes.

Reading this guy's page, I actually agree with most of, if not all of the criticism. Especially when I found this guy's opinion on what Nightmare Fuel page on TVTropes has devolved into. Seriously, I may have some fears, but I wouldn't list what those fears were on the nightmare page, if only because what scares me, doesn't scare everyone else. On a serious note, I find the whole notion of Mr. Mime's character model in Pokemon X & Y to be rather funny than something that gives you a nightmare, don't know why someone put that on the page.

Peanutbutter

Dr. Insomniac

"anti-intellectual"
"apparently needs to take lessons on cultural sensitivity from Something Awful."
"How dysfunctional does a site have to be that the people in charge think that parroting the KKK is more acceptable than being mean to a Neo-Nazi?"

Quaint.

Rynnec

While I agree that TVT has its fair share of problems, the guy running that blog just comes off as a self-righteous prick to me.

Peanutbutter

Quote from: Rynnec on August 08, 2014, 04:02:38 PM

While I agree that TVT has its fair share of problems, the guy running that blog just comes off as a self-righteous prick to me.

How so? He might make a quip at some people question his site's use, but how is he a prick?

Dr. Insomniac

Because at this point, complaining about TVTropes' editors is like complaining about Wikipedia's editors. The majority of people who do so don't complain about a lack of information, but out of claims of "liberal/nerd bias" or some other signs that they're insecure of what other people say. Yes, there are legitimate problems going on with both sites and many other sources of information on the internet, but these issues are often disregarded and replaced with someone's social justice vitriol. It's like how John Byrne tried to get his Wiki entry deleted for apparent sedition, when it only detailed facts regarding his history with other people. Or those right-wing nuts who made their own wiki out of a delusion that the other was propaganda against their beliefs. Or how the great Hope Chapman thought her TVT article was a personal attack against her for bringing up her hostility towards anybody who likes Korra.

Also, the tumblr user seems kind of off. They complain the plot to MST3K is confusing.

Rynnec

Exactly. Occasionally he and one of the askers will make a good point regarding the site, such as their LGBT tropes (TVT has been getting progressively more conservative since their so-called "pedo purge") and how dickish the staff can be, especially to people with mental issues. But most of the time he mostly just looks down on the site and just complains about random shit the tropers do. Like complaining about The Ugly Barnacle page or their haiku pages.

He also has a habit of deflecting any criticism in the typical obnoxious tumblrite way.

No-Personality

Everyone looks obnoxious to someone.
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Daikun

Peanutbutter

Yeah, apparently Fast Eddie has ditched the site, and the place is under new management. By whom, I have no idea. I just hope they crack down on the pedos stinking up the forums and other parts of the main site, and won't punish the wrong members just for standing up to trolls or other harassers.

Daikun

The site has been completely redesigned.