Book Recommendations!

Started by Foggle, December 18, 2011, 12:08:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Ask for and give book recommendations in this thread! Oh yes!

My well of depressing existentialist literature is starting to run dry, and I'm now looking for recommendations for my other two loves:

• Nonfiction about the Mafia (Triad, Yakuza, etc. are good, too). Fiction is also fine, but please none of the obvious stuff (e.g. no Mario Puzo).
  • Anything with a genuinely witty narrative and/or clever dialogue. A healthy dose of sarcasm is appreciated (in the text, not in your response, silly goose!).

Thanks guys!

Dr. Insomniac

I know that David Simon wrote a nonfiction book based on his life as a police reporter (and it ended up being the framework for a certain show that had gangs in it). That might be something you'd like. As for books with good narrative, Terry Pratchett's Discworld, of course.

Foggle

Sounds like good stuff. I'm in.

Avaitor

So I've been meaning to ask, are The Hunger Games books worth reading or not? I hear so much about them and all to the point that the fanbase makes me sick.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

If you like dystopic fiction, I guess. The sequels get stupid though in how it's portrayed.