Steven Universe

Started by Daikun, May 22, 2013, 02:05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daikun

Cartoon Network released the Steven Universe pilot on their website yesterday, and they took it down after only 24 hours.

Thankfully, a few brave souls reuploaded it to YouTube.

I have a copy for download in case it gets taken down again.

So what do you guys think of it?

Peanutbutter

I liked it. The part where Steven kept going back to insult that doughnut vendor sold it for me. I didn't get a full grasp of what the premise is supposed to be, and I hope those Gem girls show other sides of their personalities, but I think this has potential already.

Silverstar

Eh, it reminded me too much of Adventure Time, and I've gotten my fill of that show a considerable while ago. I will say that it was probably the best of those pilots that I saw plastered on CN's web site this morning, but that's not saying much since I couldn't stand to sit through more than a few minutes of the others.

It'll probably do well when it hits CN, but I'll likely pass on this one.  :unimpressed:
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

gunswordfist

Hmm, I'd like to see a modern comedy show's preview that I'll actually like. I had to get into The Regular Show and Dan Vs. through word of mouth.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Goldstar

I can't find any information about what the exact premise of this show is.

Interestingly, Steven Universe is created by a woman, Rebecca Sugar. I wonder why she made the central character of her show a boy instead of a girl? Not that Ms. Sugar can't make her protagonist whichever gender that she wants, but I just hope that making the central character a boy was her own decision and not one that was forced on her by the network.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

Daikun

Quote from: Daikun on May 22, 2013, 02:05:51 PMI have a copy for download in case it gets taken down again.

And they took it down. That was quick.

As promised, here it is on Dropbox.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Goldstar on May 22, 2013, 05:26:37 PM

Interestingly, Steven Universe is created by a woman, Rebecca Sugar. I wonder why she made the central character of her show a boy instead of a girl? Not that Ms. Sugar can't make her protagonist whichever gender that she wants, but I just hope that making the central character a boy was her own decision and not one that was forced on her by the network.
Wha huh?

LumRanmaYasha

I watched it. Seems like a good change of pace, although it is a little disappointingly similar to it's soon to be contemporaries in the kind of humor it uses and it's overall mood. It has lots of potential though, so hopefully the writing will be top-notch in the series.

However, of all the leaked pilots, this one here was the best of the lot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YGqoo-FW0Q

MAKE THIS A SERIES CARTOON NETWORK!

gunswordfist

I still want Phish and Chip to be a full cartoon.

Goldstar

Quote from: gunswordfist on May 22, 2013, 06:02:34 PM
Quote from: Goldstar on May 22, 2013, 05:26:37 PM

Wha huh?

Allow me to clarify:

I'm inquiring as to why Steven Universe has (or needs to have) a male lead. The show could easily have been Stephanie Universe. Why couldn't the series had been about an all girl team? What does it say about the industry when even a Cartoon Network show that's created by a woman still has to be about a boy? It's very rare when we get even 1 show with a female lead because network suits believe that boys think that girls are "icky" and that they won't watch a show with a girl character as it's star, although the fanbase of My Little Pony:Friendship is Magic suggests otherwise.

It's not a big deal, really. I'm just asking.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

gunswordfist

Maybe she just wanted to make it a boy.

Daikun

All 6 of CN's pilots have been reuploaded.

Check them all out here.

Silverstar

Quote from: Peanutbutter on May 22, 2013, 02:20:23 PMI didn't get a full grasp of what the premise is supposed to be

Yeah, this is probably asking too much considering the show's creator is a member of the Adventure Time camp, but I really we get a formal explanation of this show's premise: who and what these characters are, where they come from, where this show is set and how this universe works, as opposed to the producers just plonking the audience smack-dab in the middle of the proceedings and expecting us to figure everything out ourselves as we go along.

I also hope that Steven Universe will actually be funny, as opposed to...whatever the hell it is that Adventure Time is supposed to be.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

gunswordfist

I don't get AT either.

gunswordfist

Goldstar, I do wish there  was more girls starring in cartoons, though. I'm sure the only girl animated character under 17 that I like is Toph from Avatar.