Steven Universe

Started by Daikun, May 22, 2013, 02:05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hobbyfan

Steven Universe debuted Monday, but I waited until yesterday for an afternoon replay. Only caught the 2nd half.

Steven's eager to join his sisters in battle, but must wait "'til he's older". Meh, been there, seen that. I like the enthusiasm and energy put into this show, and it continues the trend of late of creating in-house programming high on imagination and whimsy.

Now, if only CN could finally get their act together and play nice with certain corporate siblings........

Daxdiv

I enjoyed the first two episodes myself. Kind of refreshing to see Rebecca Sugar get her own show on Cartoon Network, since I will admit that I kind of liked her run on Adventure Time. She was the person that gave us such episodes as "I Remember You" "Simon and Marcy" and "Jake the Dog" With this show, it really doesn't feel like Adventure Time, it's more of a comedy that handles action and the serious moments pretty well.

The one thing I do hope is that Steven figures out how to activate his gem powers by the end of the season, since if that gag continues to run through the show's run, that will be sucky gimmick.

Peanutbutter

All right, I finally saw the pilot on On Demand. I like that the Crystal Gems have some more traits to them than the online pilot I saw. Steven seems okay so far, easily nervous but I don't find him annoying or obnoxious. I really like Pearl so far, since she was very motherly to Steven. Amethyst has some things in common with Steven, but I don't have opinion on her or Garnet yet. I'd have to see how they are in some more episodes first.

The first episode wasn't spectacular, but it was decent. I did love the moments between Steven and his dad, plus I hope we find out more about his mom and how he got involved with the Crystal Gems a bit more. Some people criticized for being too similar to Adventure Time, but I don't feel that way with it. It's humor and writing aren't based on randomness.

Oh, and I have to say I love the art direction the best so far in this. The background and character designs are nice to look at, and the colors are pleasant.

Silverstar

Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

Peanutbutter

If Rebecca Sugar based Steven on her little brother, than I think it's clear Cartoon Network didn't force anything about Steven. She likely chose to make him the main character herself.

Lord Il

I'm now four episodes in. It's been a fun start. Steven comes off as being a bit whiny to me at times ("Together Breakfast" comes to mind), but he might grow on me better with time.

Quote from: Daxdiv on November 07, 2013, 01:26:57 PMThe one thing I do hope is that Steven figures out how to activate his gem powers by the end of the season, since if that gag continues to run through the show's run, that will be sucky gimmick.
I'm hoping for the same or maybe sooner. Otherwise this series could get tired for me rather quickly. I'm wanting to see some good backstory material as well.

Silverstar

Quote from: Peanutbutter on November 08, 2013, 04:28:20 PM
If Rebecca Sugar based Steven on her little brother, than I think it's clear Cartoon Network didn't force anything about Steven. She likely chose to make him the main character herself.

Perhaps, but that still doesn't change CN's hypocrisy, and it still leaves kind of a bad taste in my mouth. I still would have preferred it if they had gone one of the ways I described.

Plus, the show's not that funny. It's mildly amusing at best. I get that it's not supposed to be of the belly laugh variety, but I prefer belly laughs.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

Goldstar

Quote from: Peanutbutter on November 08, 2013, 04:28:20 PM

Still, you have to wonder if Cartoon Network would have been so gung-ho about green lighting the series if it had been Stephanie Universe.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

Peanutbutter

They had no problem shelling out money for Totally Spies 5th season, and it's movie, and even it's spin-off The Amazing Spiez (sp?). Which is also coming back pretty soon for it's sixth. Also, that I Heart Tuedays show is still featuring a female lead. They added a male twin, but she's still the star as far as I know.

Daikun

Nel_Annette

I kind of like it. Steven's a bit annoying, but the three girls are awesome.

Peanutbutter

I don't consider Steven annoying. A bit overboard in how he does things, but he hasn't annoyed me so far. Plus his heart is always in the right place. I think he's fun enough. My favorite character is Pearl, her expressions were hilarious. I also like that she's not overprotective of Steven despite being the mom of the group.

Goldstar

Quote from: Peanutbutter on November 15, 2013, 04:04:11 PM
They had no problem shelling out money for Totally Spies 5th season, and it's movie, and even it's spin-off The Amazing Spiez (sp?). Which is also coming back pretty soon for it's sixth. Also, that I Heart Tuedays show is still featuring a female lead. They added a male twin, but she's still the star as far as I know.

Totally Spies! was a proven ratings success in the past, although Cartoon Network was under different management when the network first acquired the series. Clearly, TS has done well enough for CN in the past for the network to want to air the new season of it.  The Amazing Spiez focuses on 4 siblings, 2 of which are boys, so Cartoon Network wouldn't be hesitant to green light it, but nonetheless, I see your point. As for I Heart Tuesdays, I don't think that it was ever officially stated that the main girl's twin was going to be a boy, just that the character was going to be given a twin. Many people read the news and made the assumption that the twin was going to be a brother because the current regime over at CN doesn't seem very likely to green light a series starring 2 girls.

Honestly, at this point, I have my doubts that I Heart Tuesdays is going to happen at all. We've gotten no updates, no screen caps, no sketches, no character bios or any news about the series in about 2 years, and Ne Yo has stated that he wasn't aware of how difficult the process of making animated series is. At this point, my belief is that I Heart Tuesdays is going to be another case like Santo, that luchador cartoon that was going to air on CN at one point, but never did.

Getting back to Steven Universe, I likewise don't find Steven to be annoying. Yeah, he's kind of a spaz, but he's a cute spaz. I like the fact that he's not an annoying brat just for the sake of being one. Rather, I find the character's dweebishness to be fairly amusing. As for the Crystal Warriors, if I had to pick a favorite, I guess that it would be Amethyst because of her fun personality, although I think that Garnet has the coolest weapon of the 3.  Also, I love Steven's shirt. It's such a simple, but brilliant design. The timing and story structure of SU is a little weird and is going to take some getting used to, and honestly, it could be a little funnier. I can't say that I'm in love with this series, like many of the fans on Toon Zone seem to be, but I can watch it for a half hour and not complain about it.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

Silverstar

Quote from: GoldstarThe timing and story structure of SU is a little weird and is going to take some getting used to, and honestly, it could be a little funnier.

One thing I like about SU's story structure is that the stories actually have conventional beginnings, middles and endings. It's not like Adventure Time, which is random shit happening for the sake of random shit happening while hardcore fans keep telling me (and telling me and telling me) that this is high frickin' art and I just don't get it. But I agree the show could be funnier.

Steven's a cute creation; I find him delightfully dorky, and I like that he's a young boy character who for once isn't a loser, a slacker, a moron, a braggart or a hellion. There's an innocence and sincerity to him that you rarely see in boy characters nowadays. He's energetic, but he's not a hyperactive tool like Sanjay from Sanjay and Craig who's always shouting about butts and vomit. He's a good, nice, friendly kid, but at the same time, he's not boringly perfect like Arnold from Hey, Arnold! or annoyingly PC like Doug Funnie. Steven's sort of the anti-Bart Simpson. I just wish he wasn't the star of the show. I'd have rather he be one of the main characters in it, but not the central character. Steven's adorable, but he just doesn't possess the aura of a leading man.

Peanutbutter

Just watched "Frybo". This show is getting better and better. They're very good at making every character endearing. I honestly hope Petey comes back soon, his mid-life crisis speech with Steven was good. I liked that Steven's first idea to help him wasn't to use Pearl's shard, but to wear the costume for him. It was a quick gag, but it establishes how helpful Steven is that he'll help out himself before he uses something special like that shard. This also had some funny lines.

And of course, Pearl was awesome when she stabbed that costume in it's eye. The way they deal with the monster was unexpected but funny. This may be my favorite episode thus far.