Steven Universe

Started by Daikun, May 22, 2013, 02:05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daikun

An entire hour's worth of episodes (read: 4 episodes) will air in a row on May 29 at 7PM.

The first episode is available early on CN Video.

Peanutbutter

The Steven Bomb this week had quite the cliffhanger. I'll try and give my usual short reviews for each episode, I've been a bit distracted mentally because I was getting over a cold. Thankfully, I have plenty of time because the next Steven Universe isn't until Memorial Day.

Peanutbutter

Sigh, well so much for me getting around to it before Memorial Day. Honestly, I don't write for this site anyway so what does it matter?

Anyway, the Wanted arc was LIT!!!  :huh: :shakeshakeshake:

Daxdiv

My favorite episode from yesterday was The Trial. Mostly because it did kinda open my eyes to who might have killed Pink Diamond. You do have to admit, she did make an interesting point that her killer probably had to be someone close to her.

Peanutbutter

Yup, The Trial was the best episode. All of this arc was really, but that stood out the most because it unexpectedly advanced the plot in a way I think few predicted. Shame Zircon isn't likely to appear again for quite a while if at all.

The rest of the episodes with Lars getting more character development (FINALLY!!!!) was good to see. Steven turning Lars' hair into a portal to that weird realm raises some interesting questions about Lion and Rose.

Daikun

LumRanmaYasha

The show is still really popular, so I didn't see it ending after season 5. Odd that they cut down the season length down from 52 quarter-hours in contrast to previous production cycles - though I guess to look at it another way you could say they increased it from 26 quarter-hours to 32 based on how they now organize the seasons. I'm just hoping we get some major narrative progression soon and season 5 ends in a place that'll necessitate season 6 being more plot-focused with less fillers.

Peanutbutter

Quote from: LumRanmaYasha on September 09, 2017, 12:03:21 AM
The show is still really popular, so I didn't see it ending after season 5. Odd that they cut down the season length down from 52 quarter-hours in contrast to previous production cycles - though I guess to look at it another way you could say they increased it from 26 quarter-hours to 32 based on how they now organize the seasons. I'm just hoping we get some major narrative progression soon and season 5 ends in a place that'll necessitate season 6 being more plot-focused with less fillers.

Considering the previews for the next episodes a while ago from conventions, I'm guessing they're steering the show towards getting heavy with the plot. This is usually how Steven Universe goes, they do a wave of slice-of-life episodes then do a plot heavy arc. I have a feeling the gaps in between are going to become shorter.

LumRanmaYasha

I feel like we're at a point where the slice-of-life episodes should stop being a thing Or if they're going to do them, at least have them be poignant and meaningfully develop characters. Beach City episodes in particular have been the show's weakest link for far too long and I'm tired of having to wade through them to get to the stuff I actually care about.

Peanutbutter

Quote from: LumRanmaYasha on September 09, 2017, 08:45:36 AM
I feel like we're at a point where the slice-of-life episodes should stop being a thing Or if they're going to do them, at least have them be poignant and meaningfully develop characters. Beach City episodes in particular have been the show's weakest link for far too long and I'm tired of having to wade through them to get to the stuff I actually care about.

Most of them have been doing that though.

Daikun

Quote from: Peanutbutter on September 09, 2017, 11:09:15 AM
Quote from: LumRanmaYasha on September 09, 2017, 08:45:36 AMI feel like we're at a point where the slice-of-life episodes should stop being a thing Or if they're going to do them, at least have them be poignant and meaningfully develop characters. Beach City episodes in particular have been the show's weakest link for far too long and I'm tired of having to wade through them to get to the stuff I actually care about.

Sure...during the show's earlier days, when Beach City was all we knew and Gemworld was barely a blip in everyone's mind.

Now we're five seasons in and we're so entrenched into Gemworld that Beach City episodes feel like a waste of time now. I don't give a shit about the twin sisters. I don't care about that smiley guy from the Zoltran episode or Onion's annoying friends. These people are meaningless in the main story. Steven's circle of friends from the earlier seasons are the only important characters in the show nowadays. When they try to add new characters or fail to develop existing ones, I'm left wondering, "Okay, when is Gemworld going to invade again?"

Peanutbutter

Quote from: Daikun on September 09, 2017, 03:15:52 PM
Quote from: Peanutbutter on September 09, 2017, 11:09:15 AM
Quote from: LumRanmaYasha on September 09, 2017, 08:45:36 AMI feel like we're at a point where the slice-of-life episodes should stop being a thing Or if they're going to do them, at least have them be poignant and meaningfully develop characters. Beach City episodes in particular have been the show's weakest link for far too long and I'm tired of having to wade through them to get to the stuff I actually care about.

Sure...during the show's earlier days, when Beach City was all we knew and Gemworld was barely a blip in everyone's mind.

Now we're five seasons in and we're so entrenched into Gemworld that Beach City episodes feel like a waste of time now. I don't give a shit about the twin sisters. I don't care about that smiley guy from the Zoltran episode or Onion's annoying friends. These people are meaningless in the main story. Steven's circle of friends from the earlier seasons are the only important characters in the show nowadays. When they try to add new characters or fail to develop existing ones, I'm left wondering, "Okay, when is Gemworld going to invade again?"

You don't, but that doesn't mean others may not. Not every fan wants the action episodes all at once either. And while Frowney hasn't been back yet, it doesn't mean he won't pop up. Andy already was used in the first part of the Save Greg arc. It should be noted that seasons two and three AND four and five are actually two whole seasons that CN decided to break up for unknown reasons. That fact helps a bit in looking at the pattern of episodes I find.

Peanutbutter

Nice! Was wondering when the hiatus was going to end! Can't wait until these are on TV as well.

Daikun

Six new episodes are up.

However, the app posted the episodes out of order. Here's the recommended viewing order:

Dewey Wins
Raising the Barn
Gemcation
Back to the Kindergarten
Sadie Killer
Kevin Party