Steven Universe

Started by Daikun, May 22, 2013, 02:05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

Quote from: Silverstar on November 07, 2013, 07:55:52 PM
I've stated my views on the opener here:

http://twinsanitypop.blogspot.com/2013/11/life-steven-universe-and-everything.html
"While it's nice to get our first ever CN original toon created by a woman, and it's equally nice that the central cast are a team of ladies, the protagonist and the star of the show is still a boy. Why couldn't it have been Stephanie Universe?"

Ugh, not this again. I already addressed this so I won't repeat myself.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Peanutbutter

Here are my thoughts about the latest episode.

Lars has so far been the only character I've disliked, as he's come across as a one-note jerk who always rags on Steven for little to no reason. But that said, it was nice seeing him get some development. The part where Steven called him out for calling his mom "weird" was nicely done. If you don't count the last episode with Steven's aging, this was the first moment we've ever seen Steven stick up for himself to Lars. It's also the first time we ever see him angry too, come to think of it...

Jenny, Sour Cream, and Buck Dewey were actually pretty cool. They all had individual traits that set them apart from each other. I love that they weren't a typical group of bullies or spoiled kids like how other shows or cartoons tend to do episodes like this. I hope all three of them appear again down the line; especially since one of them is the Mayor's son and the other guy is voiced by the dude behind Octus.

Also, I have to say it was a nice touch that even Steven's mom Rose got some development. She hasn't appeared in so much as a flashback (I'm 100% positive that will be a future episode in the future), but already we have some pretty good ideas what her personality was like thanks to the writing behind this episode.

By the way, sounds like next episode will feature the enigmatic Onion. Can't wait to see what that episode will be about!

Silverstar

Quote from: gunswordfist on December 02, 2013, 08:48:24 PM

http://twinsanitypop.blogspot.com/2013/11/life-steven-universe-and-everything.html
"While it's nice to get our first ever CN original toon created by a woman, and it's equally nice that the central cast are a team of ladies, the protagonist and the star of the show is still a boy. Why couldn't it have been Stephanie Universe?"

Hey, we all have our preferences. Some people want more action cartoons, I'd like to see more shows with female and non-Caucasian leads. To each his/her own and all that.

Anyways, as far as Steven Universe goes, I don't even care anymore. I jumped off this show's bandwagon weeks ago. SU is just so bland and unfunny, and Steven himself just doesn't possess a leading man's aura, so he totally doesn't work as the show's star.

Some folks on the interwebz are really digging this show, and that's cool if they're into that, more power to Ms. Sugar, but it's not for me. I just got bored with it, and now I'm done with SU.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

Peanutbutter

Quote from: Silverstar on March 13, 2014, 08:49:29 PM

Hey, we all have our preferences. Some people want more action cartoons, I'd like to see more shows with female and non-Caucasian leads. To each his/her own and all that.

Anyways, as far as Steven Universe goes, I don't even care anymore. I jumped off this show's bandwagon weeks ago. SU is just so bland and unfunny, and Steven himself just doesn't possess a leading man's aura, so he totally doesn't work as the show's star.

Some folks on the interwebz are really digging this show, and that's cool if they're into that, more power to Ms. Sugar, but it's not for me. I just got bored with it, and now I'm done with SU.

It's not bland or unfunny. And Steven works just fine as the lead character. The Crystal Gems are in just about every episode, so they get plenty of focus.

LumRanmaYasha

I think the show has been doing great with the drama/emotional aspects, myself. I don't think it's laugh out loud hilarious, but I find it a sweet, fun series to watch nonetheless.

Peanutbutter

Quote from: Cartoon X on March 14, 2014, 06:59:38 PM
I think the show has been doing great with the drama/emotional aspects, myself. I don't think it's laugh out loud hilarious, but I find it a sweet, fun series to watch nonetheless.

Exactly. The thing with Adventure Time and Steven Universe is that they're not supposed to be milk-out-your-nose comedies. Adventure Time is an adventure series with some comedy while Steven Universe is a slice-of-life style adventure series that focuses on emotion while also having comedy. I think both are great in their own ways as they give CN some variety.

Peanutbutter

Pity Rebecca Sugar said they aren't going to have any major villain in this cartoon, because that Onion kid would be a perfect nemesis for both the Gems and Steven.

Maybe she'll change her mind later and they will make him a villain? Stranger things have happened in the animation world.

toonyboy12

hounestly steven universe is the best cartoon on CN since fosters home for imaginary friends for me

the artstyle looks fantastic lots of well drawn characters (that dont use the spaghetti leg thing like adventure time and regular show thank god) and some really nice affects and a pretty colour palette to boot which really make the show look really apealing to the eye (unlike adventure time which i find to  have a mediocre art style)

i like that the wierdness dosent overlap the actual plot and it dosent go overboard like adventure time so the wierdness comes off as more creative than annoying it is proof surreal stuff can be done well

the characters are pretty well written aswell (my fav being pearl) and none of them have annoying voices or obnoxious personalitys like other Modern CN shows do (not all i mean most)

the writing in general is good without talking down to its audience(something shows like breadwinners should be doing) and the humour is just as good for adults as it was for kids something kids shows seem to forget if your gonna make a show make it fun so all ages can enjoy it

in my eyes steven universe is a amazing show and i can see rebecca sugar is a very talented animator i hope it gets a second season

toonyboy12

Quote from: Silverstar on March 13, 2014, 08:49:29 PM

to be hounest steven universe is ment to be a kind of slice of life drama to be hounest its more down to earth than most CN shows get

and i woudnt call ti unfunny it just the show has more verbal comedy rather than actual slapstick comedy and the humour comes out naturally instead of being there for the sake of it

i respect your opinion of course i do but remember this show is ment to be a more heartwarming show

Daikun

So, after a seemingly long hiatus, the show returns on August 21.

Avaitor

I watched a couple of episodes on demand the other night, and while SU isn't all that funny so far, I can see myself getting into it when I get some more time. It seems more stooped in Adventure Time's world-building as opposed to Regular Show and Clarence's wackier approaches, which is fine for me, even if I do like a good laugh as well.

I don't have too much of an opinion on any of the characters so far though, but I do think that Steven's a little bland so far. I'm more interested in the girls right now, but we'll see.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Avaitor

I've been watching more of the show lately, and I think I like just about everything in regards to the show, but Steven himself. And honestly, I'm kind of with the Star bros, there's no real reason that the show needed him to begin with. The female Gems are honestly strong enough to keep the show entertaining, with Amethyst in particular being similar enough as a raucous character to fit as a lead.

I get that Steven is meant to be an audience surrogate of sorts to help introduce us to the world of the Gems, but that's also the thing- audience surrogates are kind of tired. I wouldn't mind jumping straight into their world for a change. My other problem with Steven is that his VA isn't that great. He's actually kind of painful to listen to at times.

But I don't even hate Steven! I feel like I've seen him before, but he fits the show, kind of. I just think that I'd like the show better without another Chowder, Flapjack, or Finn. Actually, I'd say that my feelings on the show is present in the theme song, which is easily my favorite part about the show (actually, the music in general is! Sugar brings her A-game to the score)- the female Gems already have a strong enough dynamic to hold their own, but you could take Steven away and it'd be just as good, if not better.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Avaitor

Did anyone catch the most recent episode? It was pretty good. Garnet and Amethyst's dance moves may have been the highlight, while the musical sequence was also a cute little tribute to similar tracks. But really, this episode is important as it helped to explore Pearl's insecurity in her strength and leadership roles, which made for a fascinating return for the series!

New blog!

Daikun

Man, seeing this show again was quite a treat.

Frankly, I'm just glad to see something else new on the Thursday schedule. Give AT/RS a bit of a rest; CN has played too much of that already.

Avaitor

I'm already missing Clarence, myself.

I have been trying to get back into CN's recent stuff lately, though. I've been enjoying SU and Clarence, while I've finally been going through Adventure Time in order (I may wait for season 3 to hit Netflix, or just watch the rest online after I'm done with 2. I'll see how I feel after I'm done with it). I even like what I've seen of Gumball okay.

New blog!