Sanjay and Craig

Started by Avaitor, May 24, 2013, 01:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

A new Nicktoon that isn't based off of a Dreamworks movie or other existing property? And is produced by the creators of Pete & Pete? Get out of town.

It airs tomorrow, and early word is that it's fun. Enjoy the show while you can before they relegate the rest of its order to 6 am on the weekends.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Silverstar

I'm not sure what to make of this show. I don't particularly care for the art style, the promos and ads for it make it look like just another show about a duo of Totally Rad Dudes TM, plus the spots for it have been relentlessly loud and practically scream "LOOK HOW WEIRD, ZANY, CRAZY AND AWESOME WE ARE!! WE SAID THE WORD 'BUTT'! LAUGH!!!!!", but the buzz on it by those who've seen S&C has been positive, heck, even Jerry Beck gave it his approval, some talented people are working on it and one review said that it was smart and seemed more like a Comedy Central show than a Nick show, so there may be more to Sanjay and Craig than what Nick has been promoting.

I plan to watch the premiere tomorrow morning, since the Teen Titans GO! encore this week is one I can miss (it was only a half-premiere this week and I didn't care for the new short.) Whether I watch anything beyond that remains to be seen.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

Goldstar

I've about had my fill of "awesomely rad dude buddy" shows, but there are some talented people working on this show, including Thurop Van Orman (The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack) as producer. Plus, one of the title characters, Sanjay, is biracial (his mother is white, while his father is Indian), which is something that's rarely seen in animated cartoons, or even on TV in general, so I'm going to check this out.

I'll refrain from making any commentary until after I've seen a full episode.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

gunswordfist

The commercial made it look like a Regular Show ripoff. :thinkin:
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

The Shadow Gentleman

Quote from: gunswordfist on May 24, 2013, 03:31:03 PM
Being a ripoff doesn't mean it will be bad. Honestly, I could see it going either way.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: gunswordfist on May 24, 2013, 03:31:03 PM
That's the template for a lot of modern comedy, so it isn't very surprising.

I'll give it a shot if I can remember to tune in.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Y'all can go ahead and tell me how bad it is then. :sly:
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Silverstar

Just saw the premiere this morning. My verdict: Eh.

It was basically what I expected: loud, hyper-kinetic, sprinkled with gross-out jokes and heavy on the "dude-bro-ness".

I did kind of like how Sanjay's mom was a fun character rather than just being a cardboard authority figure or a bland, boringly perfect cipher.

Not the worst cartoon I've ever seen, but not the sort of show I'd go out of my way to watch.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

Goldstar

The constant jokes about butts, toilets and bird poop I could've done without. The pilot episode tried much, much, MUCH too hard to be funny but didn't really succeed. Still, this wasn't the worst thing that I've ever seen. The title duo are kind of obnoxious, but I guess that they're supposed to be. They're no Mordecai and Rigby. Those 2 have a genuine interplay, as well as some contrast in personality. Sanjay and Craig on the other hand, offer no such distinctions; they're both the same idiot, and as a duo, they offer too little contrast from one another to really stand out.

Like Silver already said; I'd watch this as an alternative to nothing, but I wouldn't go out of my way to see it.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

Rosalinas Spare Wand

I didn't know Thurop Von Orman was involved.

Didn't really help the show much since the episode was kind of mediocre.

Lord Dalek

Yeah this was pretty bad, and no nostalgia goggles aren't working Viscardi and McRobb.

Silverstar

Everybody on Toon Zone is having a fangasm about this show. If you go by their comments, this is the Holy Grail of animation. I'm like, were we watching the same show? All I saw was a kid and a talking snake being loud, gross and dumb nonstop for a half-hour. They're just the latest set of hyperactive sugar-high tween/teen boys who a) come in pairs, b) talk like ironic surfers and c) strive to make dumb seem appealing. Plus, I didn't like the art style: all of the characters had the exact same face, the big bulging eyes and the long string bean noses. When I first saw the anal neighbor guy, I thought he was supposed to be Sanjay's dad, since they have the exact same face.

LumRanmaYasha

My problem with the art style is that it is basically the same as Regular Show's, but with a hint of Bob's Burgers thrown in. The combination makes it look super generic. The writing is also not nearly as strong as Regular Show or Gravity Falls, and I'm not even a huge fan of those shows. Unless this takes a massive rise in quality, I'll probably skip it just like I do with all of Nickelodeon's current lineup.

Avaitor

Well, it was a nice hope, but I guess this won't be the next thing after all. Oh well.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

Using a bayonet on a ball pit filled with children would be more entertaining than this.

I'm also questioning the portrayal of an Indian kid whose best friend is a snake while he eats Curry-Os.