The DVD Shelf Movie Reviews

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, May 27, 2013, 10:28:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

His Godzilla review is actually my favorite one of his, so far. This may be where I personally have just far too different a taste in this stuff than both you and No-Personality, but I actually LIKE the history lesson aspect of his videos. As I've said, "reviews" aren't really the best thing to call these, even if Rose himself inappropriately refers to his videos as reviews. They come off more like retrospectives to me, but in the realm of retrospectives, I like highly detailed videos, and don't really mind the length in them.

The length of the Godzilla review would have bothered me if the whole thing was a slog, but as someone who actually had a genuine interest in everything Rose had to say about the history behind this movie, I never got bored while watching the video, myself.

Avaitor

I'm a little surprise, because I thought he was going to go into greater detail about the franchise, and while he does talk about the later films, Rose primarily sticks to the original, which is what movie he was tackling, and gets into great detail on it.

It's good enough for me to consider picking up the film while Barnes & Noble is having their annual Criterion sale. I love it, but it wasn't THAT high on my list until recently.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I also really want to pick up the original film myself. It shouldn't be too hard or expensive to find online, so I'll get around to that at some point in time when I get the chance.

Daikun

Daikun

He has started a new series called Foreign Flix.

These aren't super-long like his normal episodes; these episodes are about 10 minutes long.

Avaitor

This is David's? When I went on the site the other day, I swore I saw that another reviewer is doing this series.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Daikun

Quote from: Avaitor on September 09, 2013, 08:26:30 PMThis is David's? When I went on the site the other day, I swore I saw that another reviewer is doing this series.

Yeah, you're right. I didn't watch the video before posting the link.

Avaitor

Yeah, tbh, your average foreign film doesn't seem to be the kind of thing that Rose would be interested in, some obvious exceptions not withstanding.

I'll watch this tomorrow. I'm definitely interested. I also have yet to see the last main DVD Shelf review, as well.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I just watched the first episode of the spin-off series for foreign films. Eh....It's obvious that this new guy doesn't have much experience, yet. He talks a bit too sporadically for my liking, and while it was fine to spend a little bit of time in the beginning to introduce the main concept of the show, he barely spent any time at all covering the movie itself, and failed to get me interested in it the way that David does with his full-length reviews. I'll probably give this guy a chance to come into his own, and maybe check out the next video or two that he posts, but if it still doesn't work out for me, then I'm probably not going to bother with this series at all.

Meanwhile, I still eagerly anticipate David's next main video.

Daikun

No-Personality

Quote from: Daikun on September 02, 2013, 04:00:57 PMNew mini-review: Piranha 3-D
A positive review about one of the most pointless remakes ever made? No thanks.

(The original Piranha is one of the most underrated horror films ever made.)
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

His Falling Down review should have been 2 separate videos. The first 30 minutes or so is about the film itself, and the rest of the video is about films of a similar theme. I'm fine with that, but it's a bit misleading to call the whole video a review of that one movie. Thanks to the video, though, I am interested in checking out a few movies that I wasn't previously aware of.

Daikun

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, it certainly took long enough. I'll check it out in about an hour or so.

LumRanmaYasha

I hadn't watched of of this guys' reviews before, so I decided to check out his newest episode. Overall, I really enjoyed it. I appreciated how in-depth he went into the backstory of the movies as well as their use and connection to their Hawaiian setting. I thought his thoughts on the movies themselves were concise and qualitative, which was nice since many internet reviewers have a bad tendency to ramble. What most interested me was that it didn't feel like a typical review show, but more like a behind the scenes/travel/information show that'd air on something like the Discovery Channel or something like that. I like those kind of shows, which is probably why I found this video highly entertaining beginning to end despite it's nearly two hour length. I'll try to check out his previous reviews sometime soon.