My webcomic reviews blog

Started by Daikun, June 05, 2013, 03:29:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daikun

Webcomics are my favorite hobby on the Internet, and in late 2011, I started a blog at RevolutionSF where I review and recommend some of my favorites.

http://www.revolutionsf.com/revblogs/daikun

There's no real set schedule. I tried to make it a weekly thing when I started out, but life piled up, so I just sort of do it as a side-project.

Recommendation #0: Intro post
Recommendation #1: Happle Tea
Recommendation #2: Fusion
Recommendation #3: The Abominable Charles Christopher
Recommendation #4: Three Panel Soul
Recommendation #5: Subnormality
Recommendation #6: Buni
Recommendation #7: Kiwi Blitz
Recommendation #8: Atomic Laundromat
Recommendation #9: Dueling Analogs
Recommendation #10: Greenberry (Cancelled, but I still have the review up.)
Recommendation #11: Axe Cop
Recommendation #12: Evil, Inc.
Recommendation #13: The System
Recommendation #14: Cucumber Quest
Recommendation #15: Romantically Apocalyptic
Recommendation #16: Ctrl+Alt+Del
Recommendation #17: Erstwhile
Recommendation #18: Everblue
Recommendation #19: Two Guys and Guy
Recommendation #20: SPECIAL! Axe Cop: The Animated Series (Part 2)
Recommendation #21: Crunchy Bunches
Recommendation #22: Trying Human
Recommendation #23: Gunnerkrigg Court
Recommendation #24: Life and Death
Recommendation #25: SPECIAL! We Bare Bears

Editorial: Get a proper host!

You're welcome to leave requests, criticisms, responses, or anything else in this thread or in a blog comment.

Lord Il

You have some good quality stuff listed here. Good comprehensive reviews.

Ever see any of the titles at Snafu Comics before? If you have, just curious what you thought of their works. What first brought me there was their original retelling of The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy. It has more depth than the cartoon could ever hope to achieve. Different is good.

Daikun

Quote from: Lord Il on June 08, 2013, 10:35:48 AMEver see any of the titles at Snafu Comics before? If you have, just curious what you thought of their works. What first brought me there was their original retelling of The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy. It has more depth than the cartoon could ever hope to achieve. Different is good.

I have an on-and-off, love/hate relationship with the Snafu Comics family. It doesn't help that the authors go on ridiculously long hiatuses (sometimes even up to THREE YEARS at a time) or stop updating their comics altogether. Why couldn't they archive the dead ones and clean up some space on that giant mess of a navigation bar on top?

I was really looking forward to ones like Ever After and TIN. They both suffered Multiple Hiatus Syndrome and died prematurely. Another one that had potential was Sugar Bits, but then they borrowed a page from the Bleach handbook of writing ungodly long fight scenes. (Oh, and that contrived SB/EA crossover? Ha ha, fuck you, Bleedman!) Oh, and the main flagship comic simply titled Snafu? I personally find it rather boring, and wouldn't you believe it? That comic doesn't update anymore, either (and neither do the rest of Dave's comics, for that matter)! They should just rename it Bleedman Comics; we all know who REALLY runs that site nowadays.

Snafu Comics is a mystery box. It can either be decently written fanfic or poorly written original material (because let's face it, all the good original material just dies off without question), and you'll never know what will be updating at the time. I find it to be a strenuous experience.

Lord Il

^I'd have to say that your thoughts are pretty accurate and was glad to have your opinion!
My discovery of Snafu was around five years ago when I was first drawn in by some of their artworks. The writing, unfortunately, has been merely a hit-or-miss roller coaster for me - probably a lot to do with dragging on tired events which should've been put to bed long ago.

It's not that all of their ideas are bad, but I think they'd be better off purposely not serializing with as much story continuity when considering how sparse the updates can be. Not having regular updates, and thus, putting continuity in limbo, is indeed their greatest of downfalls. All this does is create a huge monster with little direction to go.

In short... they need a tune-up. Big time.

Daikun

Daikun

For my 20th review, I tackle Axe Cop. Again.

This time, it's the animated series on this special edition!

Daikun

Yay, update!

My newest review is Crunchy Bunches. I also briefly discuss part 2 of Axe Cop season 1.

Daikun

Valentine's Day is next week, so I thought I'd review a romantic comedy...with aliens!

Latest review: Trying Human

Peanutbutter

I'd like to see one for 8-Bit Theater. I know there's a backlash on sprite comics, but Brian Clevinger did a fantastic job using them to convey the characters' personalities. Plus, it was always funny and sharply written.

Daikun

Not an update, but I received this comment.

Daikun

...Damn, it's been half a year! I should probably do something about that.

Check out my review of Gunnerkrigg Court.

Daikun

Daikun

Daikun