Unpopular Opinions You Hold About Web Series/Reviewers

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, June 08, 2013, 02:38:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: GaryPotter on June 08, 2013, 09:50:13 PM
I despise Internet reviewers in general because of their ability to retcon reality.

What AVGN does, and to a lesser extent Nostalgia Critic, is to take something made long before their audience was born and shape what the "correct" opinions of those things should be. I really don't like that.
If you mean the fans of angry reviewers being the biggest problem with angry reviewing then I'd agree.

James and the like aren't trying to retcon reality, but the fans take what he says at gospel even when he says its only his opinion blown up to make it entertaining. He even said he likes Castlevania II, but if you ever see anything about Castlevania II these days AVGN fans will dogpile on it calling it a terrible game.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

I think the Nostalgia Critic is at his best when he touches on kid's stuff. Doug seems very passionate on quality entertainment for younger audiences, and a lot of his best spiels come from material that's meant for them, rather than when takes on things like The Room or Pearl Harbor. Sadly, that's what he would rather review nowadays, but when he does takes on kid's stuff, like the King and I and Cat and the Hat, this is where he gets some of his better material.

That's not to say that everything he reviews that are meant for older audiences comes out weak, though. I think his Patch Adams review has some of his best stuff, and that's clearly for adults.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

The Shadow Gentleman

-I agree that Doug's best moments usually come from short videos about kid's stuff. He really shines there.

-While I far from hate them, I'm not really found of some of the newer Red vs Blue seasons.

-I hate Moviebob, but I like Yahtzee. Then again, I don't take Yahtzee all that seriously and just watch it for the entertainment value.

Nel_Annette

Yesterday, someone told me I was wrong for not liking Bastion specifically because Yahtzee liked it. I like Yahtzee too, but Christ.  :unimpressed:

Although I don't think I've actively watched Yahtzee since 2010.

No-Personality

I've seen Let's Plays fail before - so I'm pretty sure I know what you're talking about - but, I'm telling you, try PushingUpRoses! - http://blip.tv/pushinguproses/let-s-play-shortys-psycho-4864370 (this is a perfect intro to her crossover Let's Play's with Paw Dugan, those two are dynamite together)

I can't stand Bennett the Sage either. And, I think it very much has to do with him as a person. He has extremely iffy taste and then gets a serious attitude about it. Then, watching him and FilmBrain try to make humor out of his bad attitude (the Batman Returns crossover)... I'm sorry, but who does he think he is?
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

talonmalon333

I like the Nostalgia Critic's Editorials more than his current regular reviews.

Silverstar

Doug's Nostalgia Critic reviews are pretty good when he has a good subject or concept. They tend to run kind of long now since he incorporates the Demo Reel actors Malcolm Ray and Rachel Tietz into all of them (not that they're an unwelcome addition, but having to accommodate additional actors all the time just naturally means having to pad the videos), but when they work they can be pretty darn entertaining. Like Aviator said, Doug really shines when he tackles kids' movies and franchises; this week's Turbo: A Power Rangers Movie review was one of his best yet.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

talonmalon333

I don't mind the Demo Reel actors, either. I think they are pretty funny. The problem is that Doug feels the need to have these long skits in his videos, and it just causes his reviews to drag. For example, I barely remember any review in his Catwoman video. All I remember is the skit.

His Editorials are some of his only good "serious" videos, to me.

Silverstar

Quote from: talonmalon333 on June 26, 2013, 12:36:07 PM
I don't mind the Demo Reel actors, either. I think they are pretty funny. The problem is that Doug feels the need to have these long skits in his videos, and it just causes his reviews to drag. For example, I barely remember any review in his Catwoman video. All I remember is the skit.

I agree. I already stated this on page 1, but I'm generally leery about reviewers who incorporate stories, especially extended stories, into their reviews, as they tend to bog things down and long stories tend to bore me. The worst offender IMO is Linkara; though I love his insight, delivery and humor, the stories and sagas he likes to incorporate into his reviews just drag on for me and slow down what are otherwise decent segments.

The best internet videos I've seen are the ones which are either all insight and information or all skit from cover to cover. Rare is the contributor who can do both equally well. It's an art, and few are its' masters.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

No-Personality

I used to hate the skits on the series I watched regularly. But now, unless they go on for minutes, I find they're not so bad when I rewatch the videos.

I'll tell you something- they must get a lot of positive feedback from the people who watch them because they do go to conventions and people do tell them what they like in their videos. They would get the message pretty quickly that everyone hated their skits.
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I actually don't mind the skits in NC's videos since they usually only last for a couple of minutes at most (the one exception being his review of Pearl Harbor). That's not to say that I find all of them to be funny, but more that they just don't bother me too much. I think Linkara's skits can get a bit too overbearing, though. I remember seeing him do a review of a Pokemon comic (I think that was the review), and IIRC, the beginning was a really long skit and it took him a good 10+ minutes before he even started review the comic titled in the video. Now that is something I personally have a problem with. I came into the video expecting a review of what the title said he'd be reviewing. I didn't come to see him continue some story arc that he started several videos ago and that I have no investment in whatsoever.

Foggle

talonmalon333

I mostly don't like the NC's Catwoman skit. It seemed longer than the review.

Avaitor

A LOT of people seem to hate Doug's screaming voice. I actually don't mind it, probably because I've seen all of his reviews so many times that it's imbedded into my mind, but I still think that some of his best bits comes from his screaming.

You know what I do hate though? His little kid voice, which I'm very thankful that he dropped since the NC's return.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

talonmalon333

Quote from: Avaitor on November 10, 2013, 07:47:21 PM
A LOT of people seem to hate Doug's screaming voice. I actually don't mind it, probably because I've seen all of his reviews so many times that it's imbedded into my mind, but I still think that some of his best bits comes from his screaming.

You know what I do hate though? His little kid voice, which I'm very thankful that he dropped since the NC's return.

I think he tends to scream too much. It just comes off as overacting/overreacting which I feel he tends to do often. Also, what little kid voice are you referring to?

As for an unpopular opinion of mine, I have to say that, for some reason, I'm kind of slowly feeling like I'm getting "over" the TGWTG site. I mean sure, there are only three shows that I watch there, but I'm getting tired of two of them. First is the Nostalgia Critic. Every since he returned from his "retirement" I feel that he's gotten a new-found energy and is actually funnier then he was in the previous few years. But his videos get so unbelievably long nowadays that I honestly have no interest in sitting through them. I'll go onto his site and see he has a new video, only to check it and see it's 40+ minutes long. I just don't have any interest in sitting through a video that long. Not to mention, I'm sure that a good chunk of those videos are just skits which are a bore to sit through for me. And I don't mean any offense to his two Demo Reel actors because I actually think they are pretty funny. It's just Doug's skits get dragged out too much when all I'm interested in is watching a review. The Catwoman review, for example, seemed like 40% skit to the point where I barely even remember a legit review in there.

Then there's Lindsey. I don't know why, but for some reason I'm having more and more trouble stomaching her over time. Maybe it's her friends. Every time they show up, her video officially dies to me. What's especially grating is when she takes her crew and calls it "Team Nostalgia Chick".