"Superman" (1978) Talkback (Spoilers)

Started by Lord Dalek, June 11, 2013, 03:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Dalek

YOU'LL BELIEVE A MAN CAN FLY

"They can be a great people, Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you... my only son." - Jor-El

Release Date: 12/15/1978
Studio: Warner Bros./Salkind Internatonal
Director: Richard Donner
Aspect Ratio: 2.40:1 (Panavision)
Starring: Marlon Brando, Gene Hackman, Christopher Reeve, Ned Beatty, Jackie Cooper, Glenn Ford, Trevor Howard, Margot Kidder, Valerie Perrine, Maria Schell, Terrence Stamp, Phyllis Thaxter, Susannah York

Plot Summary: Unable to convince the ruling council of Krypton that their world will destroy itself soon, scientist Jor-El takes drastic measures to preserve the Kryptonian race: He sends his infant son Kal-El to Earth. There, gaining great powers under Earth's yellow sun, he will become a champion of truth and justice. Raised by the Kents, an elderly farm couple, Clark Kent learns that his abilities must be used for good. The adult Clark travels to Metropolis, where he becomes a mild-mannered reporter for the Daily Planet...and a caped wonder whose amazing feats stun the city: Superman! Meanwhile, Lex Luthor, the world's greatest criminal mind, is plotting the greatest real estate swindle of all time. Can't even the Man of Steel stop this nefarious scheme?

COMMENTS?

LD Talkback #216

Avaitor

I think I'd like this one more if it wasn't for Gene Hackman.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

talonmalon333

Still a classic. I kind of like it more than Superman II as well. Reeves is great.

I do hope that Man of Steel turns out great.

talonmalon333

My friends wanted to see this and its sequel before we go out and see Man of Steel in theaters, so we're doing that.

This movie's awesome, probably better than I remembered. I don't even care about the effects being dated. I still think Christopher Reeve and Margot Kidder are perfect. A scene that I especially took note of this time was the "Can You Read My Mind" poem. Very well done.

We'll get to Superman II within the next few days.

Lord Il

Fantastic movie. This was (and still is) the height of live action Superman. Christopher Reeve was indeed the best.
Such a damn shame things had to go on a steady decline of quality with each movie.

Quote from: talonmalon333 on June 22, 2013, 12:53:28 AMWe'll get to Superman II within the next few days.
Recommended that you do! Man of Steel is somewhat of a marriage of both movies - Superman, and Superman II. This'll give you some fresh cross-comparison material with how things were changed in Man Of Steel.

talonmalon333

So I was thinking about this movie and other DC live action movies. Now, first of all, it's worth noting that when comparing the live action movies to the DC animated shows, I generally prefer the characters in the animated shows (Batman/Wayne, Lex Luthor, etc.). But there are some characters in the live action movies that can be equals with the animated counterparts or at least on same level (Gordon and Alfred in TDK trilogy).

However, I find Lois Lane in Superman I and II to be one of the very few characters that I prefer in the live action movies. She's just more interesting and memorable than her Superman TAS counterpart. Also, Margot Kidder is great. I've seen her in very few movies (mainly Superman and Black Christmas) but she's perfect whenever I see her.

Then there's the matter of Christopher Reeves' Superman, compared to Superman in the animated canon. And this is a really tough comparison for me. Because even if I were to ultimately choose the animated Superman as my favorite (specifically as he is in Justice League), Christopher Reeves is still perhaps the best live action Superman that ever will be, and he's probably my favorite Clark Kent overall.

Daikun

This movie is the main focus of the latest "Really That Good" episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bitnitV078U

Daikun