Web shows about learning.

Started by Daikun, June 13, 2013, 06:12:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daikun

I'm getting rather tired of a lot of web video reviewers (as this thread demonstrates, I'm not alone) and I've found myself growing more attached to web series that provides educational material or analysis. We've talked a great deal about the DVD Shelf in this thread, but what else could there be? :thinkin: Thankfully, there's a TON of material out there to get you thinking!

First off, there's Renegade Cut from TGWTG contributor Leon Thomas. He goes a great deal into film analysis without reviewing the films. He might provide a twisted view on notable plot points, characters, and themes, or offer a differing opinion from popular criticisms (kinda like what we do :sly:). I think the Nostalgia Critic borrowed a page from RC, which is why he's been doing editorials every couple of weeks since his revival. (Personally, I'm glad he did this; I actually like his editorials more than his main show.)

For video games, there's the ever-popular Extra Credits, which delves into education for game design. Ever since that show became a breakout hit on the Escapist, it became an inspiration for several other, similar shows to analyze games in different fields. To list off a few...

Errant Signal - Discusses the social issues raised in the games. Does the gameplay represent those issues or undercut them?

The 4th Wiseman - Asks questions about the future of video games. Where are the industry and consumers headed as technology progresses and the economy changes? (He also does a side-series called "What if...?" which is pretty awesome. He hypothesizes what the industry would have been like if historical events were changed.)

Video Game Symbolism - What it says on the tin.

The Game Theorists - This is actually three shows hosted on one channel. The original, Game Theory, uses real-world science to calculate whether video game physics are possible. (It's kinda like Mythbusters.) The next show is Game Exchange, which shows the references to Japanese culture in their video games. Finally, there's Digressing & Sidequesting, which is...much like EC about game design discussion.

There are so many other shows I'd love to show you guys, but that would make this post uber-long, so I'll save some more for later (it's late and I need some shut eye).

Does anyone else have educational or analytical web shows they'd like to recommend?

Silverstar

I kind of like Egoraptor's Peanut Butter Gamer, even though I've only seen a few of them. He doesn't review the games he talks about, just gives interesting facts and tidbits about them. Black Nerd Comedy is also pretty good; again, no reviews, just funny commentary and opinions on gaming and popular culture delivered by the host Andre. Even when Andre "rants", he doesn't do the typical "angry" shtick, he just gets extra geeky with his opinions and quips.

Assist Me! is also pretty good; again, no reviews, no rants, just straight, simple education on how to play particular games, intermixed with cheesy stories involving characters in wacky costumes playing video game and comic characters, kind of like Game Overhinker. Of course the host (I know they guy has a name, I'm just blanking on it right now, sorry) also has another series in which he does Let's Plays with his sister, which go the usual route of Let's Plays, but thankfully that's a separate series that you can either choose to watch or not watch.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

Daikun

I suppose I should post a few more. These shows don't cover movies or video games, but rather a broader range of topics.

Shots of Awe - LSD-induced, over-the-top philosophy lectures with mind-blowing montage editing.

Fw:Thinking - A series of short videos that look into the probable future of technology.

DNews - News segments hosted by Discovery Communications that cover recent scientific breakthroughs. Updates twice a day, every day.

PBS Idea Channel - A PBS show that examines the connections between pop culture, technology and art.

Daikun

I originally didn't bring this show up when I started this thread because I honestly thought it was cancelled for sure, but now it's back from hiatus and now I'm happy. :swoon:

Deja View is a series that compares U.S.-produced films with their foreign knockoffs. Each episode is very short (usually about 5 minutes long) and the host discusses the cultural and political philosophies that caused the changes in the overseas version.

No-Personality

Oh God, I can't stand Leon Thomas. I mean, I try to give David Rose his due credit because I don't think he's flat-out a bad video producer and I will watch more of his videos in future. But I will never watch another Renegade Cut.
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: No-Personality on July 02, 2013, 02:54:51 PM
Oh God, I can't stand Leon Thomas. I mean, I try to give David Rose his due credit because I don't think he's flat-out a bad video producer and I will watch more of his videos in future. But I will never watch another Renegade Cut.

I agree with this. I REALLY tried to have an appreciation for Renegade Cut, and the actual concept of these videos itself does honestly intrigue me somewhat, but the actual execution is just pretty bad, IMO. The videos don't ever feel like they have any coherent organized flow, and that static voice the reviewer uses for these videos just grates on my ears. I just don't find these videos very interesting. I don't necessarily hate them with a passion or anything, but they certainly aren't for me.

Daikun

New recommendation: I Can Explain EVERYTHING!

Submit the guy a question, he'll answer it using marker doodles on a whiteboard.

Angus

Those fix-it-yourself videos have been useful, at least for home repairs!
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon