Garfield & Friends

Started by Spark Of Spirit, April 11, 2011, 07:38:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

You know, as a kid I was a Garfield fan. I mostly enjoyed the earlier comics and the animated show, but as I grew older I began to hate pretty much every other aspect of the franchise. The movies were awful, the comic became a pale imitation of itself (not even written or drawn by the author), and the CG show was a piece of shit. Basically, I didn't really like it much anymore.

So what surprised me was that I actually went back and watched some of this show (which is now available in full on DVD... need to get on that) and was surprised that I still liked it quite a lot. I'm not sure what it is specifically about the show that makes it way better than any other incarnation of Garfield, but I would assume that the writing, timing, and general voice acting gives it a tone that isn't really like Garfield at all, giving the animated version its own voice.

For examples of what I mean, check out episodes like Learning Lessons, Mini Mall Matters, Lemon Aid, Dessert In The Desert, Binky Gets Canceled, Multiple Choice Cartoon, and Binky Gets Canceled Again are some of my favorites. How about you?
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

I've enjoyed what I have seen of the show in recent years, but I haven't spent much time on it as I should. I'll take the episodes you listed into consideration when I get the time.

I was a pretty big Garfield fan when I was younger as well, and I still enjoy the earlier strips. I haven't liked a thing related to him in years, but I do still like the original stuff.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

I just recently had the urge to rewatch some of the show, and even the US Acres stuff holds up quite well. There's a reason it lasted 7 seasons on CBS (only reason it was canceled is because of the Saturday Morning purge), and so long in syndication.

The surprising thing to me is that apparently the same people that worked on this worked on the new Garfield show, and I just don't see it. The new one is just terrible compared to this. Also, no one can do Garfield as well as Lorenzo Music.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Desensitized on April 11, 2011, 07:38:23 PM
the comic became a pale imitation of itself (not even written or drawn by the author)
Haven't heard this. I figured Davis just developed a mental disorder after the 80s.

Can you elaborate?

Avaitor

Davis just lets various writers and artists from his company take over the strip for him now. I don't think Davis has touched it himself in a long time.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on April 11, 2011, 10:57:39 PM
Quote from: Desensitized on April 11, 2011, 07:38:23 PM
the comic became a pale imitation of itself (not even written or drawn by the author)
Haven't heard this. I figured Davis just developed a mental disorder after the 80s.

Can you elaborate?
This was a while ago (I think I learned this around the time of the first movie), where it was learned that he no longer wrote or drew the strip and that it was someone at his company that did it and had been doing it for a long time. I know Garfield became a merchandising giant around the late 80s and early 90s, and I assume probably around that time he became more focused on the business aspect and left the cartoon strip on the backburner as some kind of revenue stream.

Edit: What Avaitor said

Kiddington

I honestly can't believe I haven't bought the G&F DVD sets myself. I loved this show as a kid, and the fact that I've put it off for this long is pretty pathetic. If only money wasn't so tight right now...

...and I second your thoughts on the currently running Garfield series. That might be one of the worst cartoons I've ever seen, and not even as something that pertains to Garfield; it just sucks as a whole. The writing is fucking awful, and the CGI animation could give Video Brinquedo a run for its money. To this day, I still can't believe how bad it turned out.

Angus

Jim Davis is still around; saw a Must Love Cats episode where they visited his empire and interviewed Garfield.

The newer CG ones are average to bleh, but at least they have Frank Welker voicing Garfield.

You can probably find G&F at the library or Netflix if you prefer to rent it.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Angus

Was watching the other comic strip cat, Heathcliff. One of Mel Blanc's cartoon roles in the 1980s.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Kiddington

Which Heathcliff are you watching, by chance? I'm assume it's "Heathcliff and The Catillac Cats", as I don't believe the the Ruby-Spears rendition from 1980 is even on DVD (unless you're watching that via some other means).

Angus

Yeah it's the DiC one with the three cats and Riffraff.

Avaitor

Great theme song, mediocre show.

New blog!

gunswordfist

Garfield used to be my favorite show. Lasagne became my favorite food just because Garfield loved it.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

gunswordfist

Quote from: Desensitized on April 11, 2011, 08:52:11 PM
I just recently had the urge to rewatch some of the show, and even the US Acres stuff holds up quite well. There's a reason it lasted 7 seasons on CBS (only reason it was canceled is because of the Saturday Morning purge), and so long in syndication.

The surprising thing to me is that apparently the same people that worked on this worked on the new Garfield show, and I just don't see it. The new one is just terrible compared to this. Also, no one can do Garfield as well as Lorenzo Music.
OH MAN, I am sick of original team's failing to deliver these days. What the hell happened?
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Angus

At least they got Frank Welker to do the new Garfield voice. Can't say the same about making it all CG. The jokes could also be as stale as the current comics...hard to tell since I haven't read them since the 1980s.