The Looney Tunes Show

Started by Avaitor, February 13, 2011, 02:07:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Insomniac

My dad watched this show once, and laughed, saying it was the same thing as the Looney Tunes he saw when I was little. That said, he neither speaks English nor knows much about cartoons, but it still shows that the series has at least some appeal.

Goldstar

Honestly the only real issues that I have with The Looney Tunes Show are the lack of slapstick, Bugs being so neutered (as in a straight man/rabbit), and the lack of background music. Hopefully, Spike Brandt and Tony Cervone have been listening to viewers' complaints and will fix some things for the shows' 2nd season.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

Goldstar

I don't know if anyone here has been watching The Looney Tunes Show lately, but season 2 has definitely been a step up from season 1 so far (and I personally don't think that season 1 was all that bad). Last night's episode "Customer Service" saw the return of Bugs' old nemesis, Cecil Turtle, here portrayed as a jerky customer service rep for a TV cable company who enjoys selecting random customers and basically messing with them. His latest target is, guess who? After getting trolled by Cecil during much of the 1st half of the story, Bugs utters his famous line "Of course you know, this means war!", and then proceeds to mess with Cecil to get the turtle to turn his cable back on, via being 3 steps ahead of Cecil and donning disguises, and also with a little help from Daffy, who gets a job at the cable company when he finds out that he can annoy people and get paid for it!

This was the best episode of season (so far). It featured humor similar in style to the old shorts and is the best portrayal of Bugs since season 1's "Jailbird & Jailbunny". This ep was even better than "Casa DeCalma", IMHO. Let's have more episodes like this one, please.

Commode

I saw the episode where Bugs chipped his tooth and Lola didn't want him to be in the family photo because of it.  The one thing I noticed is the art style has changed, all the backgrounds used to be more detailed, now they are more abstract, similar to a 50s Chuck Jones short.  Thought it was kind of interesting.

And yeah, Bugs is grey again.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Lord Il

Fun fact: June Foray, who had done voice work on the original Looney Toons shorts, is STILL voicing Granny at 95 years old! A recent episode I saw had Daffy getting piano lessons from Granny with fun results. While her voice is now somewhat seasoned (not necessarily a bad thing when considering the character), it's still very distinguishable and a real treat to hear. Nostalgia for the win!

Avaitor

Yep, that's her. Pretty awesome.

I would say that I'm disappointed that she's not voicing Witch Hazel as well, but eh, near the end of his life, Mel Blanc had to drop Yosemite Sam and Foghorn Leghorn. I can see how Hazel would be a little much for her now.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

hobbyfan

Haven't seen any season 2 eps yet, and eventually, I'll catch up via On Demand.

One of my favorite season 1 eps was more Granny-centric. They gave her a backstory as a secret agent, for cryin' out loud! That was wacky in and of itself, but then I find they cast the Progressive insurance babe to voice Granny's younger self. Ohhhh, man! Talk about underrated!

Sad to say, but as has been discussed by some of us over at ToonZone, season 2 is the end of the show, which is just plain lame. Apparently, CN suits think the audience is more interested in in-house creations like Regular Show, which is fine, don't get me wrong, or Gumball (which I'm not a fan of) over Bugs, Daffy, and co.. I just don't get network suits.

Lord Il

Quote from: Avaitor on June 14, 2013, 04:30:27 PMI would say that I'm disappointed that she's not voicing Witch Hazel as well, but eh, near the end of his life, Mel Blanc had to drop Yosemite Sam and Foghorn Leghorn. I can see how Hazel would be a little much for her now.
Seems that a lot of people were more surprised at Warner Bros' decision at changing Witch Hazel's voice as a black woman. I was surprised only at first but the change grew on me with time.

And with Yosemite Sam having a personality which is so aggressively loud, "Great horny toads," a person would really need to be in good physicial condition to bellow out such rantin and ravin.

Just had to post this vid... Mel Blanc interview by David Letterman. Mel was so hilarious, a natural at what he did best.
  :worship:

Quote from: hobbyfan on June 23, 2013, 02:12:26 PMSad to say, but as has been discussed by some of us over at ToonZone, season 2 is the end of the show, which is just plain lame. Apparently, CN suits think the audience is more interested in in-house creations like Regular Show, which is fine, don't get me wrong, or Gumball (which I'm not a fan of) over Bugs, Daffy, and co.. I just don't get network suits.
You have to be kidding me..

And here I was just starting to get into this latest Looney Toons incarnation. Yes, it's become a lot like a sitcom now, but this is the best I've seen of these characters on TV in a long time. Damn it.. O_o

Commode

Have mixed feelings about this really.  I wasn't the biggest fan of the show, but if CN doesn't have faith in the show then what's saying they have faith in the characters at all?  Don't really want to see a similar situation that we had for years where the network was afraid to run the shorts because they don't think people are interested in them.

And I thought that, despite the lukewarm reception from a lot of people, the show got pretty decent ratings.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Goldstar

Just to clear things up, The Looney Tunes Show wasn't canceled, per se. Evidently, Warner Brothers and Cartoon Network never intended to go beyond 52 episodes for The Looney Tunes Show. CN ordered 52 episodes in order to keep the LT characters relevant and fresh in the viewers minds and also because 52 is the magic number for a show to get a weekday run, so the network could run the series throughout the week, but CN only ordered 52 episodes and that's all that WB gave them (It's the same deal with Scooby Doo: Mystery Incorporated, btw). The shows' ratings are strong, so if CN ever wants more episodes of TLTS, they could easily order more.

Anyways, new episode tonight: "The Shell Game". This is another "Bugs VS Cecil Turtle" story. I'm going to watch this one because "Customer Service" was one the single best episodes of the series (so far).

Spark Of Spirit

I thought the magic number was still 65? Few shows these days ever go beyond that.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

It seems to go either way, really. 52 is the kid's show equivalent to 88.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Goldstar

Well, for a daily series, 65 episodes is the equivalent to 13 weeks, but many animated shows are getting a daily run after only 52 eps now. To name another example, there were only 52 episodes of Marvel's The Super Hero Squad Show. Basically, networks want enough episodes so that they can run them all in the course of 6 months to a year without repeating.

LumRanmaYasha

52 episodes is standard length for most decently popular cartoons these days. While I've enjoyed The Looney Tunes Show as a new take on the characters (and probably the best one since Duck Dodgers ended), it never could match up to the spirit and energy of the original and suffered some problems because of it's sitcom-y setting. But it was a good show and fun while it lasted and I just hope that we won't have to wait too long before another good take on the Looney Tunes comes along.

Lord Il

Thanks for your insight Goldstar.
So it appears there's still some possibility for a continued run of the series. I do want to see it continue for a little while. Just have to hope the writers won't screw things over too much and make me regret it.

But if I were running things, Daffy would be less pathetic of himself and moved out of Bug's house. His financial situation still wouldn't be great but would be good enough to get him by; He would only be nearly broke as opposed to his current completely broke status. He would instead become Bug's annoying neighbor who tends to wear out his welcome from time to time. Speedy can stay at Daffy's house upon which Daffy can collect rent money from him - Speedy can't be hurting for cash considering he's in the restaurant biz these days.

I just don't agree with Bugs carrying Daffy around like he currently does. He needs to put his foot down and grow some carrots.

Got to hand it to Tina, however. She's not with Daffy for the money!