The Looney Tunes Show

Started by Avaitor, February 13, 2011, 02:07:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goldstar

Quote from: Lord Il on June 26, 2013, 06:17:12 PM
Thanks for your insight Goldstar.
So it appears there's still some possibility for a continued run of the series. I do want to see it continue for a little while. Just have to hope the writers won't screw things over too much and make me regret it.

But if I were running things, Daffy would be less pathetic of himself and moved out of Bug's house. His financial situation still wouldn't be great but would be good enough to get him by; He would only be nearly broke as opposed to his current completely broke status. He would instead become Bug's annoying neighbor who tends to wear out his welcome from time to time. Speedy can stay at Daffy's house upon which Daffy can collect rent money from him - Speedy can't be hurting for cash considering he's in the restaurant biz these days.

I just don't agree with Bugs carrying Daffy around like he currently does. He needs to put his foot down and grow some carrots.

Got to hand it to Tina, however. She's not with Daffy for the money!

Those are good suggestions, Lord Il, although I don't necessarily think that Daffy needs to move out of Bugs' house, since I like the idea of this 1 house being the centerpiece of the mayhem and the home base for the central characters. I would keep Daffy and Bugs as roomies but make the situation between them more balanced. Instead of Daffy being broke and living off Bugs, the 2 of them could more equals. Bugs could still make the most money, but Daffy wouldn't be completely dependent on him.

Another thing that I would do differently is to go back to having shorts (either two 11 minute shorts or three 7 minute shorts per show) rather than each episode being a 22 minute story. The Looney Tunes characters just seem to perform better in shorts, as the shorts don't need to be so plot heavy. With those, you have a premise, a series of gags and a punchline, which is all you really need. The Looney Tunes shorts were never heavy on plot, nor did they need to be. In many cases, the "plots" were little more than set-up for the jokes.
The Star Twins + cartoons + geek speak =Twinsanity!

LumRanmaYasha

Last night's episode was another great episode. I really like the show's take on Cecil; he makes for a fun antagonist, probably the smartest one the franchise has ever had. I was quite surprised when he pulled out the gun. I can't believe standards and practices allowed that to happen, but it was a pleasant surprise nonetheless. In any case, I hope the last six episodes are just as entertaining and send this show off on a high note.

Lord Il

Quote from: Goldstar on June 26, 2013, 08:31:51 PMAnother thing that I would do differently is to go back to having shorts (either two 11 minute shorts or three 7 minute shorts per show) rather than each episode being a 22 minute story. The Looney Tunes characters just seem to perform better in shorts, as the shorts don't need to be so plot heavy. With those, you have a premise, a series of gags and a punchline, which is all you really need. The Looney Tunes shorts were never heavy on plot, nor did they need to be. In many cases, the "plots" were little more than set-up for the jokes.
Agreed. This current sitcom format works but only to a point. The pacing/length of the episodes is making things feel too dragged out. I'm yearning for more slapstick comedy from these characters which shorts can surely deliver.

Quote from: Cartoon X on June 26, 2013, 10:08:41 PM
Last night's episode was another great episode. I really like the show's take on Cecil; he makes for a fun antagonist, probably the smartest one the franchise has ever had.
Just saw this episode last night. Well, well... I do believe Cecil's evil smirk become a tribute to Chuck Jones' character design for The Grinch That Stole Christmas for a sec! Wonderful!!  :swoon:

Quote from: Cartoon X on June 26, 2013, 10:08:41 PMI was quite surprised when he pulled out the gun. I can't believe standards and practices allowed that to happen, but it was a pleasant surprise nonetheless. In any case, I hope the last six episodes are just as entertaining and send this show off on a high note.
That surprised me as well with how stringent things tend to be these days. WB has demonstrated that they've grown some balls. But, hey, if Cecil can pull out a gun and point it at both Bugs and Porky, I say Yosemite Sam should get his revolvers back to shoot at his smoke alarm when the low battery warning sounds. I mean... c'mon.

And with that said, I wouldn't be surprised if this episode never airs among the reruns again. Such a thought makes me sad. But.. who knows.

Some other fun things featured were the mentioning of the infamous "Corinthian Leather" term to describe the material of Daffy's recliner. This description of leather was created by an ad company which Ricardo Montalban was hired to help advertise for Chrysler many moons ago. While the term sounds cool, in reality, such a type of leather is debatable of even existing. This always gives me a chuckle whenever I hear this term used.

Also, in the Merry Melodies segment, a playful reference to The Kinks' - "Lola"
Nice!

hobbyfan

From what I saw of season 1, Daffy & Bugs as housemates is just a knock-off of The Odd Couple, but without Daffy being an Oscar Madison-esque slob (I think). Taz could be used better than being the house pet, though.

Silverstar

Quote from: hobbyfan on June 29, 2013, 01:51:28 PMTaz could be used better than being the house pet, though.

Well, the last time WB tried to portray Taz as an anthro a la Bugs, Daffy, Porky et al in Taz-Mania, the studio caught heat from a pressure group who accused them of using the character as a way of poking fun at kids with Down's Syndrome. Making Taz-Boy a pet was probably the best way the writers could work the character into this show's domesticated setting.

I don't mind pet Taz that much myself, as it gave us season 1's "Devil Dog" and season 2's "Ridiculous Journey", 2 of the best episodes of the series, IMO.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

hobbyfan

Quote from: Silverstar on June 29, 2013, 03:55:57 PM
Quote from: hobbyfan on June 29, 2013, 01:51:28 PMTaz could be used better than being the house pet, though.

Well, the last time WB tried to portray Taz as an anthro a la Bugs, Daffy, Porky et al in Taz-Mania, the studio caught heat from a pressure group who accused them of using the character as a way of poking fun at kids with Down's Syndrome. Making Taz-Boy a pet was probably the best way the writers could work the character into this show's domesticated setting.

I don't mind pet Taz that much myself, as it gave us season 1's "Devil Dog" and season 2's "Ridiculous Journey", 2 of the best episodes of the series, IMO.

First I'd heard of the controversy over Down's Syndrome. What bunch of know-nothings made up that claim?

gunswordfist

the superman(rabbit) episode that just went off was pretty good and actually a decent deconstruction of the character.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Daikun

LumRanmaYasha

Judging by the trailer, it looks like they are reusing the character designs from the show, but it's not connected to or set it the same universe as the show itself.

Anyways, looks pretty fun. I'll keep an eye out for it.

gunswordfist

When the fuck did Lola become a favorite?

I saw nothing in the news story that said it was connected. Did it say so in the trailer I didn't watch?

Edit: If it's good as the Daffy Duck Zod movie, then count me in.

Daikun

Quote from: gunswordfist on May 04, 2015, 12:17:49 AMWhen the fuck did Lola become a favorite?

This show completely revamped Lola from the blank slate we saw in her Space Jam days. People either love the new Lola or hate her.

gunswordfist

Funny enough, she was a total idiot from what I remember.

Silverstar

Kids love silly characters. Hence the popularity of SpongeBob and Patrick. TLTS Lola may be a Valley Girl flake, but at least here she has a personality and is, you know, loony. The LT franchise has no use for an unfunny character.
Twinsanity - the Star Twins' blog. Cartoons. Pop Culture. Comedy. Opinions. Commentary. Analysis. Geekiness.

gunswordfist

Those characters are actually good though. :thinkin:

Lord Il

I thought Lola was made into a fun airhead for The Looney Tunes Show. I thought it worked well.