Animation Revelation's Top 65 Cartoons Talkback Thread

Started by Avaitor, June 27, 2011, 10:17:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

And in case anyone is even thinking of mentioning Reflection, get the fuck off this site, because you clearly don't belong here. :burn:

Avaitor

But really, in hindsight we should've swapped out Monster with Gargoyles, and YYH with either Evangelion or MGM.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

Doesn't Foggle hate NGE now?

But I do agree on MGM.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, I'd agree with both of those swaps, myself.

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 23, 2012, 08:12:30 PM
Doesn't Foggle hate NGE now?
No, I just find some of the early episodes (and the first Rebuild film) to be bad and embarrassing to watch at times. As a whole, I still love it, especially EoE.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'll just go ahead and be the one to come out saying that I just flat-out don't get EoE, or at least the second half of it (the first half makes for a damn good sci-fi action flick, though). I know its supposed to be deep and intellectual and philosophical, but yeah, none of it makes sense to me. Some people would say that's because I'm "just not smart enough," but really I just don't get it, and I don't think it has anything to do with intellect (though I admit that I suck at philosophy).

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 23, 2012, 09:19:05 PM
I'll just go ahead and be the one to come out saying that I just flat-out don't get EoE, or at least the second half of it (the first half makes for a damn good sci-fi action flick, though). I know its supposed to be deep and intellectual and philosophical, but yeah, none of it makes sense to me. Some people would say that's because I'm "just not smart enough," but really I just don't get it, and I don't think it has anything to do with intellect (though I admit that I suck at philosophy).
The first half is the reason why I love it so much, but the second is really good too. I have a decent grasp on some of what's happening (the most obvious stuff, haha), and the rest is a feast for the eyes and ears. The whole thing's just sublime IMO, even if it doesn't make sense at times.

Spark Of Spirit

I think most people that enjoy NGE just throw the philosophy out the window when dealing with the show. It's too convoluted and nonsensical. Anyone who says they "get" it, don't really since even Anno doesn't even know what he was doing when making it.

But the character relationships, action, and general direction are all pretty top notch.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 23, 2012, 09:25:00 PM
I think most people that enjoy NGE just through the philosophy out the window when dealing with the show. It's too convoluted and nonsensical. Anyone who says they "get" it, don't really since even Anno doesn't even know what he was doing when making it.

But the character relationships, action, and general direction are all pretty top notch.
It's an excellent character study of a depressed teenager and his various relationships with a few cool action scenes thrown in here and there. The "philosophical" stuff is best left ignored.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on May 23, 2012, 09:26:46 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 23, 2012, 09:25:00 PM
I think most people that enjoy NGE just through the philosophy out the window when dealing with the show. It's too convoluted and nonsensical. Anyone who says they "get" it, don't really since even Anno doesn't even know what he was doing when making it.

It's an excellent character study of a depressed teenager and his various relationships with a few cool action scenes thrown in here and there. The "philosophical" stuff is best left ignored.
Yeah, at its base level its a good mecha show with good characters. The basic story is pretty good, too. I think most just leave it at that, because that's what people enjoy the most from it.

It's the fanatics that analyzed the thing to death that made it such a pain to deal with back in the day. Anno was going through a breakdown during production, so he clearly didn't have a "deep" game-plan when making it.

Avaitor

At the end of the day, the manga and Rebuild movies are better ways to get people into NGE, since they don't get as convulted as the anime do and focus more on the character study and action that make it so endearing.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Well, I really liked the first 22 episodes of the TV series. It did get off to a slow start, but I liked the characters and even though I ignored the philosophy (which there wasn't much present of until toward the end of the show), there was still a really good mecha and monster of the week show in there with some good characters and a fair amount of depth. I don't see why some people insist that these are pretentious and unlikable characters. I can see people calling the philosophy of the show an unlikable aspect of it, but the characters themselves are really well-written and I don't downright dislike any of them. Misato is actually the most likable character, especially since she's the first person to ever actually treat Shinji with any sort of respect, even offering him early on in the series to stay with her when she realizes that he's all alone. The rest of the cast is also nicely handled, for the most part. Also, I don't get why people go all-out on attacking Shinji's character. I've heard so many complaints about him being "emo," and after finally having watched the show I was convinced that the people saying that hadn't actually seen the show and were just jumping on the hate bandwagon. I mean, he does have his pathetic moments, which are intentional, but most of the time he's a pretty normal character (relative to the rest of the world he lives in), and he is even upbeat quite a bit throughout the middle of the show. The only time he ever fits the "emo" bill is really in the last 3 episodes of the series, and using that to make a generalization of the whole entire series makes for a weak argument.

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 24, 2012, 12:24:28 AM
Well, I really liked the first 22 episodes of the TV series.
You don't like episodes 23 and 24? ???

I don't see why some people insist that these are pretentious and unlikable characters.
I don't like Asuka. At all. Really love everyone else, though.

QuoteAlso, I don't get why people go all-out on attacking Shinji's character. I've heard so many complaints about him being "emo," and after finally having watched the show I was convinced that the people saying that hadn't actually seen the show and were just jumping on the hate bandwagon. I mean, he does have his pathetic moments, which are intentional, but most of the time he's a pretty normal character (relative to the rest of the world he lives in), and he is even upbeat quite a bit throughout the middle of the show. The only time he ever fits the "emo" bill is really in the last 3 episodes of the series, and using that to make a generalization of the whole entire series makes for a weak argument.
Shinji is a great character. I hate when people rag on him. Yeah, he's kind of wimpy at the beginning, but that's kind of the point. And his "emo" phase actually makes a lot of sense given the events of episode 24.

Avaitor

Asuka's actually my favorite, if only for how much of a cunt she is.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on May 24, 2012, 12:29:36 AM
You don't like episodes 23 and 24? ???

No, while they aren't of the same breed as the last 2 episodes, they just feel too slow and boring for me, in general.

I don't like Asuka. At all. Really love everyone else, though.

I didn't like Asuka at first, either, but then I got to understand her character a little better and while she's far from my favorite, she's not really the bitch she tries to make herself out to be. I also like her competitive nature with Shinji. Plus, she arguably has the most bad-ass moment in anything NGE related that I've seen (in the EoE movie, if you know which scene I'm thinking about).

QuoteShinji is a great character. I hate when people rag on him. Yeah, he's kind of wimpy at the beginning, but that's kind of the point. And his "emo" phase actually makes a lot of sense given the events of episode 24.

And, honestly, can you even blame his character for being wimpy at the beginning? I mean, just think about the context of his situation. The dude lives a relatively normal life (sure, he lives alone and stuff like that, but its not like he was living through life or death situations since he was born), and then all of a sudden he's told that he needs to pilot a large Eva unit and take out giant-sized enemies that could easily kill him, without having had any sort of prior training or time to prepare for such a situation. How is that not a sufficient reason for anyone to freak out? The kid is essentially told to become a hardened fighter and put his life on the line to protect the city in the span of no more than an hour. That's a pretty good reason to want to wimp out.