What Are You Reading?

Started by Dr. Insomniac, December 27, 2010, 04:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

So Linkara reviewed One More Day. Be warned, this is a big one. Double length and full of guest shots, since it's the 200th review.

Linkara refers to his top 15 comics he'll never review frequently, where he previously touched on OMD. if you want to see that, ]here you go.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

Haven't sat down and read a comic in ages, and the only thing I'm anticipating is the Sandman prequel. I should read Fatale though. Heard that one was good.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I finished Infinity Gauntlet. Now I need to find some more essential Marvel reading.

Dr. Insomniac

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Avaitor on July 31, 2012, 12:27:18 PM
So Linkara reviewed One More Day. Be warned, this is a big one. Double length and full of guest shots, since it's the 200th review.

Linkara refers to his top 15 comics he'll never review frequently, where he previously touched on OMD. if you want to see that, ]here you go.
Why are the guest shots, if you don't mind me asking? I like Linkara and his in-depth reviews, but I'm not a big fan of guest shots.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 31, 2012, 11:06:26 PM
Quote from: Avaitor on July 31, 2012, 12:27:18 PM

Why are the guest shots, if you don't mind me asking? I like Linkara and his in-depth reviews, but I'm not a big fan of guest shots.
I'm surprised that he got SFDebris on board.

Daxdiv

I'm finally getting around to reading the Walking Dead. Yeah, big surprise really. Don't know what stopped me before. Just finished the first chapter in the Compendium, and it's good stuff. Shame it had to end that way for Shane near the end. Guess the old saying is true, when people think their life is in hell, they'll act all crazy.

Avaitor

I think if you're quick enough, you can actually skip through all the guest stars. They don't really add anything other than attempts to make a deal with Linkara.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

gunswordfist

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on July 31, 2012, 07:50:02 PM
Haven't sat down and read a comic in ages, and the only thing I'm anticipating is the Sandman prequel. I should read Fatale though. Heard that one was good.
Damn, everything is getting a prequel.

I want to look into Fatale.
Quote from: Daxdiv on July 31, 2012, 11:34:16 PM
I'm finally getting around to reading the Walking Dead. Yeah, big surprise really. Don't know what stopped me before. Just finished the first chapter in the Compendium, and it's good stuff. Shame it had to end that way for Shane near the end. Guess the old saying is true, when people think their life is in hell, they'll act all crazy.
Did I mention that I love love love The Walking Dead yet? Anyway, I'm still waiting for the next volume. Things are getting scarier and it's because the way the people are acting and not the zombies. God I love this series,
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Wow, that comic was a lot worse than I would have imagined, and shame on Quesada for that whole "Escapist fantasy" spiel for not only being completely incorrect but also horrendously condescending and insulting. But then I could say the same for a lot of his work and decisions.

Also, kudos on Linkara for the whole analyzation of why comic writers can't seem to "get" grown-up Spider-Man.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I actually found this review to have a lot of good jokes. I've tried to appreciate Linkara's work before but most of the time its just a case of "I can't really get his style of humor....probably because I don't read comics." That said, even though I don't read comics and have certainly never read this one, all of his complaints rang completely true, here, and that's a big thing of what turns me off from trying to get into some modern superhero comics. I'm sure there are a ton of great ones, but there are ones like this that I here a lot about that just piss me off. Its like the writers are trying to bring classic characters to dark places and explore deeper themes, which I'm cool with, except some of them don't seem to have the actual talent to do that and just end up sounding too preachy and condescending, and confuse dark story-telling for having characters act like idiots and being downright mean-spirited. I hope that shit like this and Ultimatum don't represent modern Marvel superhero comics in general, because if that was the case then I would be quite sad, and of course would only ever try to get into the classic runs of Marvel comic books.

Spark Of Spirit

So you're saying you don't play Ninja Gaiden because you lead a massively unfulfilling life and want the ninja life that was owed to you?  ;)

Seriously though, my issue with comics is that you can't have strong continuity and never-ending stories at the same time. It doesn't work as this shows, since you can never really develop anything beyond a certain point. That's why comics are rapidly losing popularity.

Either have a continuous story that comes to an end, or you have serial stories that are stand alone stories not tied to any overarching continuity. I think comic readers want those things instead of what they're getting.

Dr. Insomniac

Or they could've gone the Spider-Girl route.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on August 01, 2012, 08:41:10 PM
Or they could've gone the Spider-Girl route.
Oh you mean the whole episodic adventures with multi-part stories thing? It's probably why Spider-Girl has been better than Spider-Man for years.

Avaitor

The thing is, like I've said before, JMS was a good writer for Spider-Man. This would still be one of weakest, cheapest storylines regardless, but there are plenty of moments where you can tell that there's executive meddling. And by "executive", I mean Joe Quesada.

OMD just reeks of awfulness, from beginning to end, and you can still feel it in the comics today. Every comic with Spidey today.

New blog!