What Are You Reading?

Started by Dr. Insomniac, December 27, 2010, 04:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LumRanmaYasha

As of approximately 3:15am today I have been completely caught up on the entirety of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure to date. It took me a little over 11 months, but I've finally accomplished it. This is a very JoJoyous day.

I'll probably make lists of my favorite moments/fights/etc. sometime down the line (whenever I find the time), but FTR I'd rank the parts:

Steel Ball Run > Stone Ocean > Diamond is Unbreakable >  Vento Aureo > JoJolion (so far) > Stardust Crusaders > Battle Tendency > Phantom Blood

gunswordfist

is jojo still running (jesus fucking christ if it is) or it hasn't been fully translated or something?
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

LumRanmaYasha

Foggle

Quote from: gunswordfist on February 04, 2015, 12:21:41 PM
is jojo still running (jesus fucking christ if it is) or it hasn't been fully translated or something?
It's still running, but each arc is its own thing with its own characters and such, so it's more like 8 separate manga rather than one super long mega-story.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Granted that they are all loosely connected within the same Universe and continuity, just via different generations and characters. Also, it's hardly one of yhe longest running manga out there. There are several that absolutely dwarf its current serialization length and time.

LumRanmaYasha

Every part is able to stand on it's own, but every few are specifically focused around shared plot elements. Parts 1-3 are about the Stone Masks and defeating Dio, parts 4-6 are about the mystery behind Stand Arrows and Dio's legacy, and parts 7 & 8 both involve the Holy Corpse Parts. Parts 1-6 are also all ultimately centered around the grudge between the Joestars and Dio and it's consequences throughout generations, which ends definitively in Stone Ocean and does not carry over into SBR and JoJolion for certain spoilery reasons. It's also worth noting that SBR was not considered a JoJo's part until it was moved to Young Jump, so Stone Ocean was presumably the end of the series before then (which makes sense considering it's ending).

In terms of volume count, JJBA is the 7th longest manga. In terms of years, though, there are dozens that have been running longer than it.

gunswordfist

either way...o.O. I thought the author was some dead legend by now because the series started before i was born, lol. Seriously, i just assumed something that came before street fighter 2 ended long ago.

gunswordfist

*runs out of thread due to spoilers*

LumRanmaYasha

On the contrary. It's a common joke in the JJBA fandom that Araki looks like he hasn't aged a day since the series started.

gunswordfist

heh, i am not surprised. i am sure he is a cheery guy so that helps.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I've started reading Batman: Knightfall (part 1).

I'll post my thoughts on it later.

Also, does anyone know if the Michael Korvac Saga is a good read in the comics? I enjoyed the AEMH episode of it as a fun Avengers/Guardians of the Galaxy crossover. I was tempted to buy it, but decided against it since I already havemore than enough reading material to sustain me for a while.

I was also really tempted to pick up the Deadpool Classic Omnibus and the Deadpool & Cable Omnibus, but at $140 a piece they were both way too overpriced.

The Shadow Gentleman

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on February 07, 2015, 05:04:49 PM
I've started reading Batman: Knightfall (part 1).
Aww yeah

QuoteAlso, does anyone know if the Michael Korvac Saga is a good read in the comics? I enjoyed the AEMH episode of it as a fun Avengers/Guardians of the Galaxy crossover. I was tempted to buy it, but decided against it since I already havemore than enough reading material to sustain me for a while.
I haven't read it yet, but I've heard good things about it, and many people consider it one of the best Avengers stories.

QuoteI was also really tempted to pick up the Deadpool Classic Omnibus and the Deadpool & Cable Omnibus, but at $140 a piece they were both way too overpriced.
They're only around $75 each on Amazon and other online shops from what I'm looking at.

As for my own readings, I've recently found a great little fairy tale series called Castle Waiting. It's focused more on the lives of the occupants of an old castle turned refuge rather then a grand adventure, and it's very funny and charming.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Sounds good. I'll probably get around to it after I finish the Knightfall trilogy (I'll pick up the other 2 volumes once I find them for a good deal).

As for Deadpool, I think that I'll just wait for my next birthday to get the Omnibus.

Foggle

Knightfall is the shit. First Batman comic I ever read that wasn't based on the cartoons.

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on February 07, 2015, 05:04:49 PM
I was also really tempted to pick up the Deadpool Classic Omnibus and the Deadpool & Cable Omnibus, but at $140 a piece they were both way too overpriced.
I would either start with Cable & Deadpool or the most recent solo run by Gerry Duggan & Brian Posehn. The Classic stuff is excellent (particularly Joe Kelly's, Gail Simone's, and Mark Waid's runs), but it isn't as newbie-friendly, and it expects you to have at least some knowledge of early 90's X-Force comics if you want to make sense of the earlier material (The Circle Chase in particular is nearly unintelligible at times if taken on its own). C&DP and Marvel Now DP are faster-paced and much easier to get into on their own, so I think they'd serve as a better introduction to the character, personally.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I remember having read the first 7 or 8 issues of Deadpool a few years ago and didn't particularly have a hard time following it, but maybe it got a little more confusing later on.

Either way, I've wanted to read Cable & Deadpool for a while, now. Also, if I'm not mistaken, isn't Cable supposed to be Cyclops' s son from the future?