What Are You Reading?

Started by Dr. Insomniac, December 27, 2010, 04:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Insomniac

I've been reading Jim Steranko's run of Strange Tales recently. Other than some moments that haven't aged well like anything with Yellow Claw, it was really fun. There were some layouts and panels that made me go "This is from the 60s?!" It's all so stylish. Hope someone at Marvel Studios rereads these when they eventually make a Nick Fury movie.

The Shadow Gentleman

My last two reads were Disappearance Diary and Any Empire. The first is an autobiography of the times a famous manga artist left his work to live as a homeless man. It also some insite into how the manga industry really works, which is interesting. The later was a nice anti-war/violence story with incredible art. The story was kind of eh but I could appreciate what it was going for.

Avaitor

I'm 12 issues into the 2008 GOTG run, and really enjoying it. I'm going to have to stop soon though, since my first month of Marvel Unlimited is about to be up, and I don't really have the $10 to spare right now.

Maybe the next time they do a promotion like this, I'll try to keep it for a little longer. It is a great deal, to have so many of the company's comics in wide access, but now just isn't a great time for my financially.

But if you haven't read this run yet, you really should give it a look. It's easy to see how it influenced the film, and it's pretty fun on its own.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

I'm pretty sure that's the version I read. It is pretty good.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

Also, I just double-checked to see if volume 5 of Monster was out yet, since Barnes & Noble only seems to carry the first 3 nowadays, and indeed it is.

With my paycheck coming tomorrow (yes, I can save enough money to complete my collection), I'm going to order it from Amazon, since with Prime, it'll come out to be less than $15 total.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

I have the first 5 volumes sitting on my shelf. I also have the next three pre-ordered. I sure do hope after they're done that 20th Century Boys is next.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

LumRanmaYasha

I'd have the fifth volume on my shelf if Rightstuf would hurry up and ship my order already. I still have things I ordered months ago that I haven't received yet. Their new system clearly has some growing pains to work through.  :unimpressed:

gunswordfist

I ffiiiinnnaaaaalllllyyyyy finished my first Judge Dredd comic book, The Cursed Earth. I've been lazy about that for over a week now. It's a pretty standard brutal 70s scifi action/adventure, including no shortages of robots, mutants and dinosaurs but I really loved the ending and now I have 3 more characters to add to my favorites.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I finally got the other two parts of Knightfall. I'll be reading through them soon.

Dr. Insomniac

Finally got to read the Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck after a long time searching for a copy. The wait was worth it. Couldn't move my attention to anything else while turning through page after page.

The Shadow Gentleman

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on August 30, 2015, 04:38:55 AM
Finally got to read the Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck after a long time searching for a copy. The wait was worth it. Couldn't move my attention to anything else while turning through page after page.

You lucky dog. I wish I could get my hands on a physical copy.

Avaitor

New blog!

gunswordfist

I've read most of Deadpool Classic V. 9 over the last few days, including today. Healing Factor is decent. It's a storyline that seems to think it's more epic than it really is but I like it and it made Taskmaster one of my top 30 favorite villains, even if he is basically a protagonist that's always on Deadpool's side this time around. Agent X is kind of growing on me even though so far it's a bit too much like 90s "let's replace the hero" stories.

Foggle

Quote from: gunswordfist on August 30, 2015, 02:41:20 PM
Agent X is kind of growing on me even though so far it's a bit too much like 90s "let's replace the hero" stories.
It's a parody of those, I think.

gunswordfist

It seems very self-aware. Not to mention that they are practically screaming out loud that Deadpool will be back at any moment.

EDIT: Hey buddy, Classic V. 10 is Headtrip or whatever, which I already read so which DP book should I get my from library after V. 9?