The Greatest Novel Tournament

Started by Pharass, May 09, 2015, 05:56:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Pharass

Results:

Frankenstein: 9 pts
Taran Wanderer: 6 pts
A Tale of Two Cities: 9 pts

Frankenstein and A Tale of Two Cities are currently tied. I need one more vote for either of them before we can move on to the final match of round 3.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Pharass

Taking the doctor's vote into account, the result is now as follows:

Frankenstein: 11 pts
Taran Wanderer: 7 pts
A Tale of Two Cities: 12 pts

A Tale of Two Cities moves on to the next round.

Round 3, Match 10:

The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas

Vs.

A Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin

---------

My vote:

The Three Musketeers (sorry Martin, but I'll have to go with the classic on this one)
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

A Storm of Swords.

The Three Musketeers is a classic (and yes, I've read it), but I'm against the idea of something being undermined for not having as many years behind it. A Song of Ice and Fire is a modern classic, IMO. The themes of the repercussions of war and violence, in combination with the in-depth and nuanced character arcs makes this one of the most thought-provoking pieces of fiction that I have ever experienced, and A Storm of Swords is my favorite book in the series.

LumRanmaYasha

Pharass

Oh, don't get me wrong, A Storm of Swords is a great read and I wouldn't be opposed to it winning this match. Its just that I do have a slight preference for The Three Musketeers in this case.

In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Pharass on August 14, 2016, 11:26:55 AMOh, don't get me wrong, A Storm of Swords is a great read and I wouldn't be opposed to it winning this match. Its just that I do have a slight preference for The Three Musketeers in this case.

Sorry, I should've been more clear. I know full well that you aren't being biased in the slightest. The Three Musketeers is a great book and I'm not the least bit opposed to it winning this round either. What I wrote was more intended to explain why I personally picked a more contemporary novel over a classic, and why I do so in general when it comes to this particular series. I wasn't in any way trying to belittle your opinion, and I apologize if my post came off that way.

Avaitor

You know what, A Storm of Swords
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Pharass

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on August 14, 2016, 01:18:50 PM
Quote from: Pharass on August 14, 2016, 11:26:55 AMOh, don't get me wrong, A Storm of Swords is a great read and I wouldn't be opposed to it winning this match. Its just that I do have a slight preference for The Three Musketeers in this case.

Sorry, I should've been more clear. I know full well that you aren't being biased in the slightest. The Three Musketeers is a great book and I'm not the least bit opposed to it winning this round either. What I wrote was more intended to explain why I personally picked a more contemporary novel over a classic, and why I do so in general when it comes to this particular series. I wasn't in any way trying to belittle your opinion, and I apologize if my post came off that way.

Not at all. I thought you explained your reason for chosing ASoS very well. I apologize in return if I came off as being on the defensive.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Pharass

I think its time to put the lid on the third round. Here are the results (note: in this case, each vote was worth 3 points):

The Three Musketeers: 6 pts
A Storm of Swords: 9 pts

A Storm of Swords move on to the next round.

Round 4 will be up shortly.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Pharass

Time to start round 4.
We're down to ten novels, so this will be a short round. There will be  two matches and in each match, one novel will move on to the finale. Ready? Here we go:

Round 4, Match 1:

Dracula by Bram Stoker

Vs.

And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

Vs.

A Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin

Vs.

Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne

Vs.

A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens

--------

My votes:

A Tale of Two Cities
A Storm of Swords
And Then There Were None
Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea
Dracula

What a match. Honestly, I'm not sure what was the toughest decision to make; deciding which novel between Cities and Swords that would occupy my top-spot or whether Twenty Thousand Leagues or Dracula should end up being sacrificed.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Damn....this is brutal. There is really no right or wrong choice here, regardless of the outcome.

A Storm of Swords- My favorite fantasy novel
And Then There Were None- My favorite suspense/mystery novel
A Tale Of Two Cities- My favorite Charles Dickens novel
Dracula- My favorite classic horror novel
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea- Well, it's the only Jules Verne novel that I've read, but it's pretty spectacular

Spark Of Spirit

Dracula
And Then There Were None
A Tale Of Two Cities
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
A Storm of Swords

That's a pretty killer line up.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton