The Greatest Novel Tournament

Started by Pharass, May 09, 2015, 05:56:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Pharass

Results:

Dracula: 13 pts
And Then There Were None: 14 pts
A Storm of Swords: 12 pts
Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea: 9 pts
A Tale of Two Cities: 12 pts

And Then There Were None moves on to the final round.

Round 4, Match 2:

Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes

Vs.

Dune by Frank Herbert

Vs.

The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco

Vs.

The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien

Vs.

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas

-------

My votes:

Don Quixote
The Count of Monte Cristo
The Name of the Rose
Dune
The Lord of the Rings

In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

The Lord of the Rings
Dune
The Name of the Rose
Don Quixote

Avaitor

Dune
The Lord of the Rings
Don Quixote
The Name of the Rose
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

The Lord of the Rings
Dune
Don Quixote
The Name of the Rose

This is another tough round.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

LumRanmaYasha

The Lord of the Rings
Don Quixote
Dune
The Name of the Rose

Pharass

Results:

Don Quixote: 16 pts
Dune: 17 pts
The Name of the Rose: 9 pts
The Lord of the Rings: 19 pts
The Count of Monte Cristo: 14 pts

The Lord of the Rings moves on to the finale.

Well, its been a long road, but we're finally here. In one corner, we have what is one of the finest works from the queen of mystery fiction. In the other, we have a work, whose influence can not be underestimated. Which one of them will be crowned the forum's greatest novel? Its up to you.

Final Round

The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien

Vs.

And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

---------

This is hard, I'll have to think about this one for a bit.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

These are literally two of my favorite books of all time. Both are tremendously worthy of being pitted against each other in the finals, and I'm especially pleased to see an Agatha Christie novel make it so far in this competition. I will also need to think on this one.

Spark Of Spirit

Two of my favorites, but I'm going to have to go with LOTR for simply sticking with me through so much.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Damn. You really can't go wrong with either here.

As much as Tolkien changed the game and still stands up, I think I'll go with ATTWN. It's fresher in my mind, but that's not really why- it's probably the best use of tension that I've felt in a piece of fiction, and a perfect example of a page turner. But really, you couldn't go wrong either way.

New blog!

Pharass

After giving it some thought, I've decided to go with And Then There Were None.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

LumRanmaYasha

I think I'll go with And Then There Were None as well.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

After putting some thought into it, I'm going with "And Then There Were None". On top of being a legitimately good mystery story, it's rich with nuanced characters all connected by a common theme of being haunted by their past crimes. It also comes off as the more accessible read.

I love TLOTR to death, but it has its flaws, and the story can stagnate at times. Either one of these books could be declared the best, but ATTWN takes the slight edge for me.

Pharass

Well, its been ten days since the last vote and I don't think there's any reason to put this off any longer. It is with great honor that I hereby pronounce And Then There Were None as the winner of Animation Revelation's Greatest Novel  Tournament. A well-earned victory for what is, arguably, the finest novel written by the uncrowned queen of the mystery/thriller genre.

During the course of this tournament I read several books that really deserved to be included (not to mention all the books I should've nominated that slipped my mind). There will always be great works of literature to discover and as such, I wouldn't mind doing this again, when enough time has passed. For now, however, I'd like to thank all of you for participating and I'll see you around.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

LumRanmaYasha

A well-deserved winner! I ought to give the book a re-read in celebration.