Sitcoms

Started by Spark Of Spirit, February 07, 2011, 08:23:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

No idea what he did on Roseanne, since that was pretty much dominated by her, but I'm sure he contributed the bad traits.

Quote from: Foggle on April 02, 2012, 02:05:30 PMDharma & Greg
I KNEW IT!

Painfully unoriginal, no comedic timing, unlikable characters, and punchlines that amount to little more than cliche sentence fragments from other shows.

I literally have no idea why this man has such popularity. This man is killing traditional sitcoms (everyone aping his style is not helping, either) with his tasteless and flavorless comedy.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Insomniac

And that's why I'm sticking with Britcoms.

Angus

Ellen's still around. At least there's Up All Night to make fun of such shows.

Add House of Lies to the "too brainy for me" sitcom list. I get the feeling it's mainly for people who live in that world. And the first episode is like that Adam Sandler movie "Just Go With It". I'll have to watch it when there are no pups around.

I haven't been annoyed by the audience laugh track in a while, outside of the Disney kidcoms.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Avaitor

Besides what you guys have mentioned, I don't really like The Nanny at all. Sometimes late at night, I'll turn to TV Land to see if Home Improvement or Three's Company is on, and this is instead. I'll try to sit through an episode, but I never laugh once.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Foggle

For a project in my film class last year, we had to sync up a scene from 2001: A Space Odyssey with a song of our choice and present it to the class.

I played the Home Improvement theme over the part where the monkeys were learning how to use tools. I got a B+. :lol:

Spark Of Spirit

Two Broke Girls just featured a joke about one girl masturbating in the other one's tub.

This is what sitcoms have become.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 02, 2012, 07:08:47 PM
Two Broke Girls just featured a joke about one girl masturbating in the other one's tub.

This is what American comedy has become.

Spark Of Spirit

At 8pm on a Monday night no less.

Daxdiv

For some reason, I expected that to a joke you hear on a cable show on at the same time.

Kiddington

What a surprise. That just so happens to be another one of Whitney Cummings, ahem, "contributions" to the television industry.

That woman is poison.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Kiddington on April 02, 2012, 07:19:07 PM

What a surprise. That just so happens to be another one of Whitney Cummings, ahem, "contributions" to the television industry.

That woman is poison.
She also does "Whitney" right?

How do these talentless people keep having success?

Where did the writers for all the great sitcoms go? Yeesh.

Kiddington

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 02, 2012, 07:22:40 PM
Quote from: Kiddington on April 02, 2012, 07:19:07 PM

That woman is poison.
She also does "Whitney" right?

Yeah, she's actually the star of Whitney.

I don't know how deep her involvement is with Two Broke Girls, but I know it was her idea (she basically created and pitched it to CBS), if nothing else. I want to say she's also written a couple of episodes herself, but I don't really know that for sure; it was so terrible when I watched it the one time, I haven't payed any attention to it since.

Foggle

American audiences don't respond well to actual wit or comedic timing. This is the reason why britcoms are often referred to as "boring," Adam Sandler and Friedberg/Seltzer still get work, and K-On manga sells better than Excel Saga manga overseas.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on April 02, 2012, 07:32:05 PM

American audiences don't respond well to actual wit or comedic timing. This is the reason why britcoms are often referred to as "boring," Adam Sandler and Friedberg/Seltzer still get work, and K-On manga sells better than Excel Saga manga overseas.
Well...

Anyway, the thing is that you CAN be witty and appeal to the lowest common denominator. Married With Children proved that. Heck, older shows like All In The Family showed that too.

The thing is, nobody tries anymore. That's why writing is so weak. Everyone pigeonholes themselves into a niche and turns their noses up at everyone else. Not only is it horribly limiting, it makes for some very shallow TV.

Dr. Insomniac

Well, not nobody. The non-traditional sitcoms like Community or Modern Family are doing it right. It's just that no good American writer besides the HIMYM staff want to try their hand at old-style sitcoms.