What Are You Watching?

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 21, 2011, 11:53:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on May 01, 2011, 01:21:39 AM
...and done with the show.

So yeah, best anime ever.
I await this piece!  :swoon:
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, as soon as I get the time to watch another 100+ episode anime series, this will be on the top of my "to-watch" list.

Angus

Wow, that's a good way to hype up a review.  Rarely do we see a series that breaks into the top 10 let alone become #1 in someone's eyes.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Angus

Boys Be  - standard rom-com goodness, you might like it if you're into Honey and Clover, Hatsukoi Limited, or 5 centimeters per second. It's funny to hear Liam O'Brien in a goofy role after hearing him in Monster. Although some of the theme music sounds like that love song from St. Elmo's Fire and another reminds me of My Little Pony.

Kaleido Star - I know Foggle can't stand it, so I'll just recommend that for anyone who likes stuff from Junichi Sato (Princess Tutu, Pretear, Aria) because it's more of the same. It's girly but it has a lot of that Rocky-like hard work ethic and positive vibes, and it's suitable for PG audiences.

Evangelion 2.22 - wow, hmm, mixed feelings on this as it has great graphics and animation, and it diverges from the TV series, but it's not as artsy as EoE. Disc 1's commentary is mainly interviews with the voice actors, but the last interview with Nathanael Harrison has some really good info on sound production styles. Disc 2 has mostly trailers, a 30 minute "making of" thing with combos of storyboards to final product, and some inconsequential partly-CGed deleted scenes.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Hime

I'm watching Bleach, Busou Renkin, Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt and Tears to Tiara(which I'm trying to watch at Animax)

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Aside from my current viewing of NGE, I've seen the first episode of LotGH. While I'm sure the series is going to prove its greatness shortly enough, I have to admit I felt pretty overwhelmed by the scope of the first episode in terms of how it crammed in so many character introductions at once. I'm sure I'll actually get to know most of them and even remember their names as I learn more about them as the series progresses, but I must confess that so far I can barely remember the names of the main characters, let alone the dozens of other ones that got introduced in the first episode alone.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Now that I finished End of Evangelion, I think I'll watch a series that is much more streamline to give my brain a bit of a rest from all of the mind-fuckery that I have taken in, before I move onto LotGH. I think now is as good a time as any to give Digimon Tamers another chance, since I already re-watched both seasons of Adventure a while back.

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I thought Tamers was you favorite season, Desensitized. :sly:

Oh, BTW, in regards to the dub, is there any reason why they have Davis's voice narrating the "To-Be-Continued" bits at the end of each episode?

Also, ughhhh....I forgot how much I hated the inclusion of that card game into the series, but maybe I'll get over it this time around.

Dr. Insomniac

Need a show to watch in-between Doctor Who and reading. Thinking maybe I should finally start watching Lain, Utena, Planetes, Nadesico, or whatever. Question is, which one first?

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on May 20, 2011, 05:49:54 PM
Need a show to watch in-between Doctor Who and reading. Thinking maybe I should finally start watching Lain, Utena, Planetes, Nadesico, or whatever. Question is, which one first?

Well, Davis being there just seems like a way to link this series with the previous ones (just like how they include the odd reference to 01 and 02). And thankfully, the card game fades away a bit once the D-Reaper arc starts.

Spark Of Spirit

What Insommy said.

Rika even narrates season 4. Despite season 4 being pretty lousy all together.

Watch Nadesico, Insommy. I want to get a thread going with the three of ya here who've seen it.

Dr. Insomniac

Watching the first episode right now, and this kid sounds and acts exactly like Shinji.

Spark Of Spirit

I can't argue with you there. Though I do like Akito better as a character as the show goes along.

Angus

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on May 20, 2011, 06:35:49 PM
Watching the first episode right now, and this kid sounds and acts exactly like Shinji.

Yep, that's Spike Spencer again in the English dub. Nadesico's the perfect followup to the NGE brain scramble. Light late 1990s sci-fi. I watched Lain too although it can get boring.

I guess that's better than trying to watch green haired women with big boobs and glasses.