Anime that would work on Adult Swim

Started by Sketch, July 25, 2011, 04:20:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sketch

History has shown us that Adult Swim's audience doesn't care for low-action thought-provoking anime such as Paranoia Agent and Death Note and their biggest successes are the likes of InuYasha, Bleach, Fullmetal Alchemist and Cowboy Bebop. They've also made it clear that while they can show TV-MA episodes of anime if a show is mostly TV-MA they're not going to touch it. This is probably why they pick up so many shounen anime. It's about the only action shows they can pick up that don't over do it on sexuality or violence. When you want something relatively fast paced for the shorter attention spans of the casual audience but you avoid higher content levels it makes a rather wide selection considerably more limited.

So let's have some brain storming.

What recent shows or shows still running in Japan have potential with the Adult Swim audience?

Spark Of Spirit

You mean now as in the way Adult Swim is now? Or the way Adult Swim should be? Because they should have aired Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, and GTO in the past, and they never did, yet it's far too late for them now. I still think it's lame that they aired Bleach but ditched Yu Yu Hakusho like that, so I don't really know what AS wants from their anime.

Looking at the new anime season, there isn't really anything that would fit on Adult Swim as there's nothing really action based for adults and nothing comedy-wise that doesn't pander to the audience they don't want.

I'd have to say the material they want is older material, but their audience won't watch anything older than Cowboy Bebop, so they're kind of in a tough place.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Rosalinas Spare Wand

They could always air the Sayanora Zetsobou Sensei series. It's wacky and warped enough to fit in with the rest of the line up, although much of the humor is pretty japanese.

chdr

I think Panty and Stocking could work on AS. 15 minute runtime, practically tailor-made for American audiences, and content that honestly isn't that extreme for Adult Swim (aside from maybe the whole cum shower thing in the last episode)

Rynnec

Wasn't Trinity Blood a mostly TV-MA show? Their policies must've changed then, 'cause I'm kinda suprised that they haven't aired anything like Hellsing Ultimate, Darker Than Black, or Devil May Cry. If they won't touch anything with excess fanservice, then that leaves Highschool of the Dead right out.

Even though it hasn't premiered in Japan yet, I think the Persona 4 anime could have a shot on AS. Though we should wait and see on that one.

Foggle

Quote from: chdr on July 31, 2011, 03:16:02 PM
I think Panty and Stocking could work on AS. 15 minute runtime, practically tailor-made for American audiences, and content that honestly isn't that extreme for Adult Swim (aside from maybe the whole cum shower thing in the last episode)
It's also painfully unfunny and overly crude just like 90% of Williams Street's output. It would fit right in! :joy: