The Greatest Anime Episode Ever Tournament

Started by LumRanmaYasha, July 10, 2016, 01:52:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LumRanmaYasha

Since GSF doesn't appear to be online today, and we're already a day late, I think I'll just call the match here. I think the episodes he wanted to see move on have regardless.

Results:

Rurouni Kenshin #30: "The Devil of Vengeance: Makoto Shishio's Plot" - 10
School Rumble: Second Semester #3: "Beautiful Beast vs. Beautiful Beast! God of War vs. God of Warfare! Teacher vs. Student!" - 7
Ushio & Tora #20: "The Demon Returns" - 15
Cromartie High School #2: "Blade Runners High" - 8

"The Devil of Vengeance: Makoto Shishio's Plot" and "The Demon Returns" move on to round 2! The next match will be up shortly.

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

I think the only episode that I really need to watch here is Trigun, which I'll try to do tomorrow.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Avaitor

"Sin"
"New World"
"Calm Down, Two Men"
"Rock 'n' Roll Dandy, Baby"

Hot damn, I really need to get to my Trigun rewatch soon.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

LumRanmaYasha

"Sin" -
Spoiler
The moment where Vash's philosophy is pushed to it's breaking point, and tragically crumbles under a carefully and cruelly crafted scenario devised by Legato. Still reeling from guilt over the death of Wolfwood, and his criticisms of his moral philosophy ringing in his ears, Vash once again is unable to save a Gung-ho Gun from themselves and then is forced to kill Legato in order to save those he loves, unable to, for the first time, find the better option. With that shot, he loses faith in Rem's teachings, represented by his vision of her fading to white. It's the lowest point in Vash's story, and packed on top of the non-stop tragedies he's witnessed in the past couple episodes, it's the moment that finally breaks his once indomitable spirit. A defining point in Vash's character arc, and the moment that makes the series' cathartic conclusion feel earned.
[close]

"New World" -
Spoiler
Light finally meets his match in a ploy from Near and Mello that's admittedly pretty convoluted but still cool nonetheless. In the end it took the joint effort of Near and Mello and the latter's sacrifice for them to avenge and surpass their master. The really satisfying part of the episode, though, is Light's breakdown. No longer in control, his delusion of godhood slowly crumbles and Mello's words that he's just another serial murderer starts to ring true. The final kick in the pants is when he's shot full of holes by Matsuda, and as he's slowly dying and reflecting on everything he's done, he realizes his own mortality, and he tries to run away from that fate in desperation. However, it was set in stone that Light would die by Ryuk's hands, really the Death Note itself, at the beginning of the series, and that's exactly what happens. Light falls from grace as a beloved "God of the new world" to a criminal dying alone on the street, a fate which he brought on himself because of the choices he made.
[close]

"Rock 'n' Roll Dandy, Baby" -
Spoiler
Who doesn't love a band-origin story parody? There's a lot to like here, from how Dandy and Johnny fight over unimportant trivialities, the way Johnny comes up with their hit song, the manga-stylized framing during bombastic moments, to things like how they cast Johnny Young Bosch as Johnny and the catchyness of the song itself. It's a fun episode with great gags and a literally explosive ending. One of my favorites from the show .
[close]

"Calm Down, Two Men" -
Spoiler
This is a great development piece for Rock and Revy's relationship. Rock finally stands up for himself and calls out Revy for her bullshit and how unfairly she's treated him. We see Revy's hardened exterior slip into insecure frenzy at Rock's comment that despite her touch talk she complains as if she's some a tragic heroine, and her lash-out in response shows her emotional vulnerability, revealing that she's still not over whatever baggage she's carrying from her past. This is a defining episode for Rock as he makes it clear that he's not the kiss-up whitecollar guy he was anymore and wont tolerate being treated like garbage by anyone ever again. He also affirms that he's satisfied being with the Lagoon Company and there's no issue of "sides" with him. He's a part of the team, and that's what matters. 
[close]

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Same as Avaitor.

I nominated both "Sin" and "New World" (the former being one of my favorite anime episodes of all time), but CX already did a great job covering what makes them so great, so I don't really have much to add.

The other two episodes are strong contenders as well, but Trigun's resonates with me on an emotional level, whereas Death Note's happens to be one of my favorite anime endings of all time.

VLordGTZ

"Sin"
"Rock 'n' Roll Dandy, Baby"
"Calm Down, Two Men"
"New World"

Dreamer2

I kind of just recently came across this thread, so it was cool reading about some of the other matches. So, I'm going to throw in my vote as well.

"New World"
"Rock 'n' Roll Dandy"
"Calm Down, Two Men"
"Sin"

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

LumRanmaYasha

Results:

Trigun #24: "Sin" - 21
Space Dandy #20: "Rock 'n' Roll Dandy, Baby" - 11
Death Note #37: "New World" - 17
Black Lagoon #7: "Calm Down, Two Men" - 11

"Sin" and "New World" move on to round 2! The next match will be up shortly.

gunswordfist

:wth: I just finished watching the episodes.

I really liked Calm Down, Two Men. I am guessing this is Rock's first episode where he is really bold and speaks his mind. His line about how every lifestyle has suffering realky got to me.

Damn, yep, that's my favorite episode of Space Dandy..so far. I love all the colors and mock manga panels. I don't have to mention how great the concert is. Straight up good song.

I like New World. I have a few other Death Note episodes I like more though, such as episode 36 and 24.

Still can't stop thinking about how brutal the death in Sin looked
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: gunswordfist on August 21, 2016, 10:47:45 PM
:wth: I just finished watching the episodes.

Shoot, my bad dude. I should've asked if you were going to vote. :sweat:

Avaitor

"Cold Hands"
"Diablo"
"One-Eyed Fish"
"The Wolf Knows What the Ill Beast Did"

The Higurashi episode is definitely not going to be easy to watch for people who haven't seen the series in order, but it's a hell of an episode for those familiar with it. And I feel something similar to the Tiger & Bunny ep, which didn't do a whole lot for me, but seems like something that would hold better when I get to watching it all.

The Mushi-Shi episode is solid, and reminds me that I need to give it another shot, but I forgot how quiet the series is. :P

New blog!