Toonami

Started by Rynnec, May 21, 2012, 02:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Insomniac

I've seen that resurgence too. Similar to how the Star Wars prequels have gotten a lot of positive re-evaluation over the last half of a decade after they were the internet's punching bag for so long. Or how Keanu Reeves enjoyed a career renaissance from the John Wick films and everyone went from "That actor who can only say 'whoa'? Who gives a shit?" to "Keanu, I fucking love you!" It's hardly universal of course, there are still plenty who think the Matrix sequels are a mess. I recently rewatched them and while the action scenes are still cool, I thought the plot and themes were all over the place. But there's still plenty interest in the franchise if all the YouTube views on the Matrix 4 trailer are anything to go by.

And personally, I'd love if they made something like the Animatrix again. Find some animation directors, give them a spot in the Matrix universe to work on, give them creative freedom, and watch them make magic.

Daikun

Assassination Classroom returns next week with season 2!

Avaitor

Whoa, way to start the year on a good note!
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Daikun

Full January 8 schedule finally posted on Facebook. AC will be getting a full hour premiere!

Avaitor

They really don't have much, but it's something to finally see them pile on more Shippuden. I don't know why they haven't done an hour or so of it earlier, there's more than enough episodes left for them to do it.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

LumRanmaYasha

Apparently, they'll be premiering a new show on the block every week for the next month. Since there are four double-upped timeslots on this schedule I wouldn't be surprised if that means we're getting four new shows to the block soon. Attack on Titan's final season is a given, but I'm curious as to what the other pickups will be.

Avaitor

I'm hoping that they'll finally work something out for Megalobox Nomad, and maybe even Mob Psycho 100 season 2. Besides those and AOT, maybe Yashahime season 2 will be ready by that point?

I guess there's also SSSS.Dynazenon, but I feel like Gridman wasn't a big deal for the block. But if Mob is still locked up by CR, maybe that has a shot.

Oh yeah, Demon Slayer. I feel like that's even less likely than Mob at this point.

New blog!

Avaitor

I was way off- Made in Abyss starts this Saturday.

New blog!

LumRanmaYasha

One Piece is back. Again.

I would've been really happy about this if they could've started at Wano, but alas they're starting from the beginning of the post-timeskip stuff. Which isn't a bad place to start narratively, but the anime's padding is rough from Fishman Island through Dressrosa. Kinda hoping they can just continue playing it an hour a week until they catch up on the dub.

Avaitor

Anime Twitter is being pretty damn annoying about this. Not nearly as much as film Twitter was with that David Lynch hot take yesterday, but it's been obnoxious to see people who haven't watched Toonami in years bring up One Piece's lackluster ratings in the US.

Not that they're wrong, and I do agree that OP has had too many chances at this point when it's apparent that the sect of anime fans who watch the block just don't click with it. But many love OP and have been hoping for it to return for a while, and at this point, I don't see it being that much of a ratings poison case.

Also, I'm seriously starting to think that DeMarco doesn't like Ushio & Tora, and that's why it keeps being passed over for the block.

New blog!

Daikun

Dr. Insomniac

This Shenmue anime is already inaccurate. The dub doesn't sound hilarious.

I don't see any reason to use ratings or anything to judge OP coming back on Toonami. It's airing at 2 in the evening. Who gives a shit about ratings then?

Daxdiv

Kinda surprised that they're giving One Piece another shot & the fact that they're starting at Fishman Island arc rather than where they left off. I guess if having One Piece on the schedule helps with them filling in the void of not having a lot to air anymore helps.

Dr. Insomniac

Is it really because every decent anime is nabbed by Netflix or Funi/Crunchy's asking for too much money, or is DeMarco just bad at finding new shows?

Rynnec

DeMarco continues to find new ways to disappoint

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on January 19, 2022, 07:37:50 PM
Is it really because every decent anime is nabbed by Netflix or Funi/Crunchy's asking for too much money, or is DeMarco just bad at finding new shows?

I'm going to go with "all of the above". It's not like Sentai's lacking in good shows for Toonami to air either (like Avaitor said, Ushio & Tora is right there).  Jason's taste in anime just feels very limited.