Toonami

Started by Rynnec, May 21, 2012, 02:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rosalinas Spare Wand

So why do people want another hour of the block?

Daxdiv

Cause FUNi wants another hour to dump their shows.

Rosalinas Spare Wand

But they already have Netflix for that. And Crunchyroll. And Hulu. And Youtube.

Man, modern Toonami is so pointless.

Rynnec

The idea is to attract more viewers, since streaming apparently doesn't do much to generate new fans. Theoritically anyways.

hobbyfan

IMPO, Toonami is on [adult swim] because they'd rather fill it with anime that the wee ones can't watch, and avoid taking the block back to its glory days. It's on too late for me, and I don't DVR. More proof that CN needs to lose the current administration.

LumRanmaYasha

I know I haven't posted on these forums at all since, like, November or something, but I've got a lot to talk about and I might as well talk about it here.

Apparently, there's a rumor going around that Soul Eater, my 23rd favorite anime, could be replacing Samurai 7 on Febuary 16th.

I don't know if you guys like Soul Eater or not, since it's, you know, shonen, (I'm sure that Foggle hates it), but if this is true then it'll be the best aquisition the block has made since it's revival. Although Soul Eater is only an above-average shonen series (and its ending is stupid as hell), it's well-animated, popular, relatively recent, nicely paced, and light enough to fit next to Naruto and Thundercats while also being dark enough to make it stand out next to them. Its 51 episode length means Toonami's got a premiering show that'll last a full year, which means they won't have to worry about replacing the other shows for the time being. Oh, and it should get good ratings, better than Samurai 7. Picture it folks. 4 shows on Toonami that get over a million viewers. Good stuff.

Personally, though, I sorta hope this isn't true. While I loved the show when I originally watched it, and it's a good show and a damn better shonen series than Naruto and Bleach (overall), it doesn't hold up quite well enough in comparison to my other anime favorites like Case Closed and Yu Yu Hakusho. More importantly, it means that a NEW series, created after 2010, recently dubbed, will not be comming to Toonami yet. I think we will get Michiko to Hachin on Toonami at some point because it's a Watannabe series, but I really think Toonami needs a fresher series now rather than later, preferably one not released on dvd beforehand (or at least less than six months beforehand). So, I can't really be excited for Soul Eater if it really is comming to Toonami, but I will watch, and I DO and WILL enjoy it, but I really hope the show replacing Thundercats in March will be NEW, not "new."

Also, I'll say it again and will continue to say it untill it happens, Toonami needs to air Black Lagoon. I don't love the show, it's certaintly not one of my top 25 favorite anime, but it's undeniably bad-ass and is the kind of show Toonami NEEDS. They might as well cough up the money for Inuyasha: The Final Act too. I don't like the anime version, but it'll get good ratings and has better animation and pacing than Naruto and Bleach, in my opinion.

Besides those, they should put Batman: The Brave and the Bold on Toonami. They might as well since neither Cartoon Network or Boomerang are airing it, and it'd bring more variety to the block.

I like Toonami, by the way. I don't care what you guys think about it not being how it was in the glory days, the promos and music videos and bumps are awesome and define exactly what makes Toonami so great. Besides, the lineup is waaaaaayyy better than the lineups in 1997-1998, 2002, and 2006-2008. It's at least on par with the Fall 2005 lineup. I don't watch it every week, and haven't kept up with any of the shows except Tenchi Muyo! GXP (your guess is as good as mine on why), but besides Bleach I don't think any of the shows on the block are awful and the rising ratings for the block are a positive sign that many people, Toonami fans or not, feel the same way. I wan't better shows on Toonami, for sure, but the fact that they put so much effort into the block (especially when compared to [adult swim] action), prevents me from being indifferent to or hating Toonami 2012.

Seriously though. Black Lagoon. On Toonami. Now.

Avaitor

Soul Eater doesn't really interest me, but it seems like a pretty good fit for Toonami, and a damn-near perfect compliment to Bleach and Naruto.. It's also fairly recent and popular enough to gain some attraction towards it acquisition, so I'd be all for it joining the block.

Brave & the Bold, I'm not so sure if it's fit for this version of Toonami, but it's a great show and deserves more of an afterlife than it received. I'd definitely consider putting it on the block.

And I agree 100% with Black Lagoon. Perfect for the block.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

LumRanmaYasha

Well, Batman: The Brave and the Bold is just as mature as Sym-Bionic Titan and Thundercats (2011) (and it's a better show than them quality-wise, in my opinion) so I don't think there'd be a problem with them airing on Toonami if they can and wanted too.

Glad we both agree on Black Lagoon. :)

Daxdiv

Well, the Toonami staff has confirmed that Soul Eater is replacing Samurai 7.

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Lord Dalek

https://twitter.com/ToonamiNews/status/310783373788459008 - NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

LumRanmaYasha

...Looks like someone isn't a One Piece fan.  :>

Anyway, there's lots of awesome Toonami news in my opinion!

Well, okay, there's some eh news. Samurai Jack can't come to Toonami until Boomerang stops airing it, and neither can any other action series Boomerang is already airing. This is only a bad thing because adding the show would help give the overplayed [adult swim] favorites a rest and allow for better rotation, but oh well. Young Justice and Green Lantern also won't be comming to Toonami, although maybe it will just take some time like Thundercats to be able to put them on there.

Anyway, on to the good news!

Here's the schedule for the 16th anniversary next week:
12:00AM - Bleach
12:30AM - Naruto
1:00AM - Evangelion 1.11 You Are (Not) Alone
3:30AM - Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
4:00AM - Cowboy Bebop
4:30AM - Cowboy Bebop
5:00AM - Inuyasha
5:30AM -Inuyasha

I've never seen any of the  Evangelion movies before, so I'm pretty pumped for this, although the movie itself is a random choice to air on Toonami, seeing as how Evangelion has never...oops, never mind! 8)

T.O.M. 5.0 is on his way in April. He looks pretty cool, but I've been so used to 3/3.5 that it'll take some time getting used too.

Finally, One Piece is coming to Toonami! I know you guys don't like shonen, and the long-running Naruto and Bleach are already on the block, but I love One Piece and even Toei's lazy animation can't stop the show from being awesome (until the Marineford arc, at least).

I think that they'll add both One Piece and T.O.M 5.0 on the first week of April. Thundercats is finsihing it's run at the end of the month, after all, and they don't like to announce the new shows on Toonami too much in advance, so I doubt we'll have to wait until May for it.

I think the schedule will look like this:
12:00 Bleach
12:30 Naruto
1:00 One Piece
1:30 Soul Eater
2:00 Thundercats
2:30 Tenchi Muyo! GXP
3:00 Eureka 7
3:30 Symbionic Titan
4:00 Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
4:30 Cowboy Bebop or Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
5:00 Inuyasha
5:30 Inuyasha

Of course, if expansion will happen in April, I wouldn't know what to expect.

I personally see the acquisition of One Piece as smart, since the show isn't going to end for a LOOOOONNNNNNGGG time, so they'll always have a new episode, and potentially a forerunner, to show and get consistent ratings for them. The quality of the show is very consistent too, although Toei has become increasingly lazier with the show in recent years, but the story remains strong (with the exception of the underwhelming but okay Fishman Island arc). I think the show will get good ratings, and help push for expansion for the block by summer or so. With Bleach beating The Boondocks before it, now, that's definatley going to be something on the table. Anyway, great news for the block, and it really shows we've come a long way sicne May!  ;D

Also, it's kinda neat to have all of the Shonen Jump Big 3 on one place on american television!  :D

The Shadow Gentleman

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I do enjoy the earlier parts of One Piece, so this certainly isn't bad news. That said, I have grown really tired of the current manga and Oda's tendency to rely heavily on his own formulas, and to do nothing to evolve his characters (if anything, they feel like parodies of themselves at this point, over-exagerating comedic character traits that they only occasionally showed in the early parts of the story). That said, it doesn't really hamper the quality of the earlier stuff, which is obviously what Toonami will be airing.

Now, I presume that they will be using the FUNimation dub, since 4Kids hasn't owned the rights to One Piece for years, now. Hopefully that's the case, otherwise this addition to the block would be entirely pointless.

Also, while I'm not a huge One Piece fan, its certainly more entertaining than most of what's airing on the block, these days.

Kiddington

Meh, it was bound to happen eventually. I could never get into One Piece myself (and that was when I was younger, when I'd watch pretty much anything), but who knows, I might give it another look this time around.

What's shocking to me is the fact that they're already doing a re-brand. The block hasn't even been back a year; at this point, why?