Monster

Started by Spark Of Spirit, July 08, 2011, 04:41:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

**MAJOR SPOILERS**

I just love how Johan is such a perfect murderer that he rarely even ever needs to physically commit a murder himself. Except for seeing him shoot one guy in the head, did we ever even actually SEE him commit any physical murder himself after that? He either always got someone else to do it purely through his thoughts and obscure actions (yeah, he made psychos commit murders for him without even ever saying a single world to them; he just wrote fucking names in the sand), or better yet made his own victims do the work for him by getting them to kill themselves, such as getting the guilty conscience to seep out of a reasonably good-hearted detective, and then getting him drunk and ready to take his own life. Oh yeah, and did I mention that he even convinces children to risk their lives and essentially kill themselves. So, yeah, most evil character ever, anime or otherwise.

Spark Of Spirit

I'm trying to remember, but outside of at the beginning, I don't think he ever did.

*SPOILERS*

He probably could have hired someone else to do it, but I think he only did it because he wanted to meet Tenma face to face.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on July 08, 2011, 04:51:38 PM
**MAJOR SPOILERS**

I just love how Johan is such a perfect murderer that he rarely even ever needs to physically commit a murder himself. Except for seeing him shoot one guy in the head, did we ever even actually SEE him commit any physical murder himself after that? He either always got someone else to do it purely through his thoughts and obscure actions (yeah, he made psychos commit murders for him without even ever saying a single world to them; he just wrote fucking names in the sand), or better yet made his own victims do the work for him by getting them to kill themselves, such as getting the guilty conscience to seep out of a reasonably good-hearted detective, and then getting him drunk and ready to take his own life. Oh yeah, and did I mention that he even convinces children to risk their lives and essentially kill themselves. So, yeah, most evil character ever, anime or otherwise.
"I changed my mind." Probably the best line in the series
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

About 10 or 11 episodes into this series... I'm honestly loving it.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Its about time you checked this series out. Its easily the best manga that I've ever read and by default one of the best anime that I have ever seen (though it plays it safe and follows the manga panel by panel, word for word, so there was nothing new for me when I watched it).

After you finish this series you should definitely read 20th Century Boys by the same author. Its easily on the same level of quality and has an even grander scope to boot. The attention to detail in that series (as well as this one, for that matter), and how well each of the numerous, complex characters are developed, is just astounding. I don't think there is a more talented mangaka than Naoki Urasawa in all of Japan.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on August 24, 2011, 02:26:48 PM
Its about time you checked this series out. Its easily the best manga that I've ever read and by default one of the best anime that I have ever seen (though it plays it safe and follows the manga panel by panel, word for word, so there was nothing new for me when I watched it).

After you finish this series you should definitely read 20th Century Boys by the same author. Its easily on the same level of quality and has an even grander scope to boot. The attention to detail in that series (as well as this one, for that matter), and how well each of the numerous, complex characters are developed, is just astounding. I don't think there is a more talented mangaka than Naoki Urasawa in all of Japan.

That's great to hear! What is 20th Century Boys like?

Angus

except that it's one of Liam O'Brien's best VA roles.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: talonmalon333 on August 24, 2011, 02:34:57 PM

That's great to hear! What is 20th Century Boys like?
An early Stephen King romp mixed with a metafictional Alan Moore tale all on top of a William Gibson novel.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on August 24, 2011, 03:42:29 PM
An early Stephen King romp mixed with a metafictional Alan Moore tale all on top of a William Gibson novel.

So, in other words its pretty good.

Avaitor

!

Eh, it's del Toro though, which means it's not going to happen. The guy can't commit to anything.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

talonmalon333

Monster has got to be one of the most flawless animes ever.

gunswordfist

^Yep, perfect adaptation's are the best.

Avaitor, heh, I remember thinking that Monster is as good as network tv wish it was.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

talonmalon333

Quote from: gunswordfist on April 24, 2013, 09:38:43 PM
^Yep, perfect adaptation's are the best.

... Yes gunswordfist, that would make sense.

Avaitor

In all seriousness, I could see Monster as a strong fit on AMC inbetween Mad Men and Breaking Bad. It is that good.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/