Sonic The Hedgehog

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 16, 2011, 09:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

Either way, this is how I grade the games that matter.

Sonic the Hedgehog: B
Sonic the Hedgehog CD: B-
Sonic the Hedgehog 2: A-
Sonic 3 & Knuckles: A+
Sonic Adventure: C
Sonic Adventure 2: C+
Sonic the Hedgehog 4: C-
Sonic Colors: ?

Everything else gets an F, maybe a D- for Sonic Heroes.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Technically, you can't really give a proper full rating to Sonic 4 until all of the episodes come out, if you count them all together as 1 game. You're rating would have to be srictly specific to Episode 1, rather than counting it as a whole game.

Spark Of Spirit

Besides, I think episode 2 is going to be an overhaul. Especially after seeing Generations' classic parts compared to 4 and comments from Sega on it.

I expect them to just outright make a standalone classic style game with it.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on October 04, 2011, 06:28:37 PM
Technically, you can't really give a proper full rating to Sonic 4 until all of the episodes come out, if you count them all together as 1 game. You're rating would have to be srictly specific to Episode 1, rather than counting it as a whole game.

Well, true. I just decided that Episode I was fun enough.

Quote from: Desensitized on October 04, 2011, 06:34:04 PM
Besides, I think episode 2 is going to be an overhaul. Especially after seeing Generations' classic parts compared to 4 and comments from Sega on it.

I expect them to just outright make a standalone classic style game with it.

Elaborate. And what do you mean "standalone classic style game"?

Spark Of Spirit

I mean, they said they were taking all the criticism of episode 1 (physics, boring level ideas, and such) and taking them to heart. This was BEFORE Generations was revealed. If episode 2 isn't at least on par creatively with what Generations is putting out (2D-wise) then it probably won't make a lot of sense for them to be trying so much with it.

All I want is an original 6 zone game that ends in you beating Robotnik and I'm hoping that's what they deliver.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Quote from: Desensitized on October 04, 2011, 07:39:16 PM
I mean, they said they were taking all the criticism of episode 1 (physics, boring level ideas, and such) and taking them to heart. This was BEFORE Generations was revealed. If episode 2 isn't at least on par creatively with what Generations is putting out (2D-wise) then it probably won't make a lot of sense for them to be trying so much with it.

All I want is an original 6 zone game that ends in you beating Robotnik and I'm hoping that's what they deliver.

They should also make it the classic Sonic design, which would likely carry back to Episode I.

Actually, Sonic 4 should have been 16-bit.

Avaitor

Played most of Sonic 1 and Mean Bean Machine tonight. I still really like them.

I was thinking of also hitting up Gems Collection, since GameStop had that as well, and I  never played any of the games on there. The problem is that it's almost twice the price of Mega Collection ($13 vs $7). Is it worth picking up for that price?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Kiddington

I'd say it is, yeah. Most of the titles are pretty weak (lol Sonic R), and Knuckles Chaotix is suspiciously absent for whatever reason, but the inclusion of Sonic CD alone more than makes it worth a purchase. It really is a fantastic game, IMO.

...if you're still hesitant, think of it this way; $13 on the 'Cube is a heck of a lot cheaper than it'll cost you to track down both a used Sega CD and an old copy of Sonic CD. So yeah, I'd definitely recommend grabbing Gems Collection. For that price, really, it's not a bad deal (I paid $20 for mine when I bought it some odd years ago).

gunswordfist

Quote from: Kiddington on October 05, 2011, 02:48:13 AM
I'd say it is, yeah. Most of the titles are pretty weak (lol Sonic R), and Knuckles Chaotix is suspiciously absent for whatever reason, but the inclusion of Sonic CD alone more than makes it worth a purchase. It really is a fantastic game, IMO.

...if you're still hesitant, think of it this way; $13 on the 'Cube is a heck of a lot cheaper than it'll cost you to track down both a used Sega CD and an old copy of Sonic CD. So yeah, I'd definitely recommend grabbing Gems Collection. For that price, really, it's not a bad deal (I paid $20 for mine when I bought it some odd years ago).
Oh yeah, Sonic CD (and Sonic 3 & Knuckles?) the only reason(s) I need Gems. Fuck you Backbone.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

It's worth it for Sonic CD and (most of) the Game Gear games especially if you don't own any of them already.

I'm still a big fan of the 8-bit sidescrollers.

Avaitor

Alright, sounds good. I'll be going to the mall as soon as I get some money to pick up Psycho and Robin Hood on Blu, and if I have enough leftover, I'll buy the game as well.

Also, played Sonic 2 for most of the night. So close to beating it this time, too. I'll either try again or go to Sonic 3 later today.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Someone posted a playthrough of Sky Sanctuary from Generations.

It looks so, so great.

Avaitor

Yes it does.

It's times like this that I regret only getting a Wii. Ah well.

New blog!

Kiddington

That brought a tear to my eye; those graphics are absolutely beautiful. My only complaint? No throwback boss battles (Green Hill, Metropolis), ala Sky Sanctuary in S3K. But, maybe they're still in, and they just didn't show 'em in this video. We'll see.

...but yeah, anyway, definitely a day one must buy for me. Can't wait; this game looks nothing short of spectacular.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Avaitor on October 05, 2011, 03:43:37 PM
Yes it does.

It's times like this that I regret only getting a Wii. Ah well.

Hang in there. Wii U might get it.