Sonic The Hedgehog

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 16, 2011, 09:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

Quote from: Desensitized on November 04, 2011, 06:48:34 PM
I hope, but they'll probably hand it off to Dimps and get working on the next 3D game. Which is a shame, because they Classic series should get just as much focus as the 3D ones, especially after Generations.

Either way, I bet the next Sonic game will be for Wii-U.

By the way, you have the demo right, not the actual game just yet? So far, how's it compare to Colors? And other Sonic games in general?

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I guess you haven't been reading too many posts before this page. Desensitized has already beaten the game, dude. :P

Spark Of Spirit

I also have all the achievements barring like 4 of them (one glitched on me).

The Modern levels in Generations are better than Colors levels on a whole and the controls are the best here they've ever been. However, I prefer Colors 6 Act set-up to Generations' 2 Act and 10 Challenge Act structure. Also, while Generations has a massive soundtrack, it's too light on Colors music. I wanted Aquarium Park music for Seaside Hill, and Terminal Velocity music for Speed Highway. Not to mention, Planet Wisp in Generations only has Spike and Rocket wisps. I miss Drill and Hover.  :'( But then again, Generations has some sweet Classic Sonic levels to make up for that.

They're both great games, however, and I'm glad Sega seems to get Sonic again.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

GaryPotter

Which version is better, 360 or PS3?

Spark Of Spirit

They're about equal except that the 360 has better loading times, especially when installed. They're lightning fast.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

GaryPotter

Figures. Sonic games on the 360 have always loaded better.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on November 04, 2011, 07:59:33 PM
I guess you haven't been reading too many posts before this page. Desensitized has already beaten the game, dude. :P

You guess correctly. :sly:

Quote from: Desensitized on November 04, 2011, 08:20:31 PM
I also have all the achievements barring like 4 of them (one glitched on me).

The Modern levels in Generations are better than Colors levels on a whole and the controls are the best here they've ever been. However, I prefer Colors 6 Act set-up to Generations' 2 Act and 10 Challenge Act structure. Also, while Generations has a massive soundtrack, it's too light on Colors music. I wanted Aquarium Park music for Seaside Hill, and Terminal Velocity music for Speed Highway. Not to mention, Planet Wisp in Generations only has Spike and Rocket wisps. I miss Drill and Hover.  :'( But then again, Generations has some sweet Classic Sonic levels to make up for that.

They're both great games, however, and I'm glad Sega seems to get Sonic again.

Sounds like Generations is better overall, at least to me. But I'm glad they are both good, even IF Sonic never again reaches the level he once was.

Spark Of Spirit

I got some spare time today, so here's something useless for you all. I successfully 100%'d the game (short of beating the final boss without getting hit, that simply ain't happening due to it sucking) and though I'm still playing it, let me let you all know how I would classify everything without actually spoiling everything. All bosses are ranked by Hard Mode (as that should have been their default difficulty).

Classic Tier

Classic Speed Highway

This is my favorite level in the game, and seeing as everything in this game is of such high caliber, that says a lot. This level is FAST, has tons of little alternate routes, is very cinematic, and is easily the most fun level for replays. Basically what Stardust Speedway wishes it could be, this even makes Starlight Zone look tame by comparison. The best Highway level in the series by FAR.

Modern Speed Highway

My favorite 3D Sonic level ever. Add the speed of Unleashed to the massive branching of Colors, and Adventure style exploration for said paths and you have everything Sonic should be. When I say exhilarating, few Sonic levels in general do it better than this one. This takes the Sonic Adventure version and cranks it up to 11, I mean some of those alternate paths put stuff in Sonic 2 to shame here.

Classic Sky Sanctuary

Another stage that blows away the original. While the original was more of set piece level between Lava Reef and Death Egg like Hidden Palace was, this is a full fledged Sonic 3 & Knuckles level. Yes, the level is that good. One of the best levels in the series, full of cool paths and surprising tricks to gain speed or reach platforms, this is probably indication that Sonic Team needs to make more Classic games.

Modern Sky Sanctuary

In my opinion about on par with the Classic version, this level stunned me when I first saw it, and it still is exhilarating to play even now. There are tons of paths, wide open spaces, and lots of platforming in both 2D and 3D, and the pace never really lets up throughout. About my only issue would be that it feels a bit slippery until you get a hold of Sonic and the "Adventure" mentality, then you realize that the current formula has officially lapped the Adventure one, and you smile as you pump your fist in the air and realize that Sonic is finally back for good.

Classic Chemical Plant

I didn't think much of this in my first run through, it seems like a generic Sonic level. Until you explore it. And you realize this is basically Chemical Plant Zone Act 3 where everything comes to a head, and the level design is a bit more understated, but as far as Classic no-frills stages go, this would fit right in something like Sonic 2, which is why it works so well. There are paths for speed running, for ring attacking, for exploring, and just for missing a jump or two. I'm honestly not even sure if the level has any bottomless pits. It's just too good.

Modern Seaside Hill

Wow. There are literally alternate paths everywhere in this level, in every nook and cranny. In my opinion, this blows away the Classic level (and I really liked that one) and demolishes anything Heroes ever did. When you look around this level, you WILL be blown away by how much is there, and how you can still speed through it without tons of cheap deaths. I had a few camera issues on separate playthroughs (not for a while, though) but that's not enough to hurt how great the level is. Seriously, if you miss the Adventure games and don't love this level, give up on the series now.

Metal Sonic Boss Battle

A no-frills boss battle that's extremely simple but fun to play. I enjoyed the Metal Sonic race in Sonic CD, but here they managed to make it great. There's not much to say here except I hope Sonic gets more bosses like this in the future, as not only are they fast, but still require platforming, and is exactly what the series needs more of.

High Tier

Modern Planet Wisp

This level is hard, it's long, and it has a lot to do. My favorite aspect was in how the level is set up, without spoiling too much, and it really feels like a test of endurance without resorting to tons of cheap deaths. I heard a lot of complaints from people that there's too much 2D in this level, but it's really all relative. Sonic Colors is the game that nailed Modern Sonic's 2D side, so it seems only fair that it should contain the final gauntlet of it. It's not like the 3D parts aren't hard either; they are.

Classic Rooftop Run

It's hard to describe this level without spoiling it, so I'll make it brief. Think Hill Top Zone, Wing Fortress Zone, and the original Rooftop Run merged together somehow and formed a Classic level. It's hard to describe, but it's tons of fun to play.

Modern Rooftop Run

This level feels like if Rooftop Run was in Colors instead of Unleashed. In other words, tons of paths. But it goes a bit further by including Unleashed's sense of speed without its sense of cheapness. Basically, the Colors formula perfected.

Classic Seaside Hill

A great level, only brought down by how strict certain paths are to reach. This is basically "the water level" for Classic Sonic, but it takes an example from Hydrocity (in more than one way, actually) in how you can avoid most of the water depending on how good you are. It's not quite on par with Hydrocity or Aquarium Park for me, yet it's a very strong third in the water level runnings for me. The level is still excellent.

Silver Boss Battle

You probably won't believe me unless you see it for yourself, but this battle is pretty freaking crazy. It's easily the best Modern boss battle in the game, and can get really intense at times. With Generations, character battles finally amount to more than just "Homing Attack spam" and that's a great thing.

Classic Planet Wisp

I hear a lot of whining and comparing this stage to the likes of Metropolis from people who are having a tough time with this level. First of all, the level is HARD, REALLY HARD. But it's closer to Scrap Brain than Metropolis in that as you learn the stage you can successfully avoid the hazards and make your way through it. Some of the short cuts pretty much require trial and error, but nothing will outright kill you here, and the enemies are not put in really dumb spots and are hard to hit. The level is tough, but in a fun way. I only marked it down a bit because IMO, it could be a tad shorter. But that's pretty much all I have against it.

Death Egg Robot Boss Battle

Really easy, yet better than the Sonic 2 fight since you can get rings. A simple boss that's fun to fight, but nothing special. What makes it great IS how simple it is. Sonic Team usually clutters boss fights up, up here they finally learned to keep it simple.

Mid Tier

Classic City Escape

This one only gets marked down because a lot of the alternate paths are one shot types of deals, but since it works with the level it balances itself out. The level itself is something a bit new for Classic Sonic, and it works great.

Modern City Escape

I only brought this one down because unlike any other level in the game, this feels like the level from Adventure 2 only beefed up and improved instead of changed. But the addition of alternate paths, wide spaces, and 2D platforming raise this one pretty high up. Oh yeah, and the GUN Truck is no longer entirely scripted here, it can actually kill you. Great level.

Classic Crisis City

Sort of a basic level, really. it has some interesting ideas, but the level is fairly straightforward for the most part. It's a good level, but not one of my favorites. I'm sure it's way better than 06's level, however.

Shadow Boss Battle

This isn't even a battle on normal, it's a joke. On hard, it feels like a real fight. Basically imagine the chase from Adventure 2, only with something other than the homing attack to rely on for damage, and a pretty wide open level.

Modern Chemical Planet

It's a good level, and the 2D sections are pretty great, but the 3D sections are a little too simplistic and the alternate paths are not very naturally placed. But it's fun for speedruns.

Perfect Chaos Boss Battle

Lots of speed and platforming here. It stays true to the Adventure 1 fight while topping it in every way. My only issue is that it remains pretty easy regardless of the difficulty level, which brought it down a bit for me. I'm not asking for challenge, it's just too short.

Egg Dragoon Boss Battle

HARD. This is a bit tricky. The only thing that brought it down was that some objects are hard to reach ad that the homing attack's lock on doesn't always work when you figure it should. That said, this is a good and hard fight.

Modern Crisis City

This has some cheap platform and camera placement, and the level is fairly standard. Nothing all that special, but at least it's playable. Much more than I can say for the original.

Low Tier

Classic Green Hill

It's Green Hill. Nothing too fancy, and nothing wrong with it. But it doesn't compare to later levels at all.

Modern Green Hill

Same as classic, really.

Sonic '06 Tier

Final Boss

I've fought this thing like three times so far and I still don't know what the heck is going on. After Colors had such an excellent final battle, it's really sad to see this pop up here. This and about two missions were the only things I absolutely detested in this game, everything else was top notch.

There, that felt good. Pointless; but good.  :D

Foggle

Really enjoying Sonic Generations so far. PC version runs silky smooth, but I get weird frame rate drops at very specific parts in Chemical Plant (both classic and modern). It never dips below an absolutely excellent 60 FPS otherwise, though.

Spark Of Spirit

Yeah, the Chemical Plant issue is a current issue in the PC version from what I've seen. It might be patched by now, but I don't know.

ON a side note, you get slightly different cutscenes after beating zones depending on the Sonic you beat the area with.

Foggle

Quote from: Desensitized on November 06, 2011, 10:38:32 AM
Yeah, the Chemical Plant issue is a current issue in the PC version from what I've seen. It might be patched by now, but I don't know.
It's not. A shame, really, as every other level has been flawless so far. Every Sonic game should run at 60 FPS... really improves the experience.

Some of the challenges are kind of frustrating. I'm determined to get all of the unlockable music, though. ...But really, His World and Splash Hill over Ice Cap, Final Egg, Red Mountain, Secret Base, Aquarium Park, Wacky Workbench, etc.? What the fuck, Sega.

I wish they had scrapped the challenges entirely and put in more levels... would like to see some stuff from Sonic 3 and Sonic CD. Hell, put a 3D Blast or Black Knight level in there or something. I need MOAR.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Unfortunately, like all other game companies Sega likes to do what makes them more money, and add in more levels as DLC rather than as part of the full game experience.

Personally I've always hated the idea of DLC, unless it was in the form of a full expansion-pack that wasn't originally intended to be part of the game. Stuff like adding in a few levels that were already planned and would have gone into the full-game anyways if there were no such thing as DLC should just be in the full-game. I just hate it when companies hold that back to milk out as much money as they can from a game.

Spark Of Spirit

I think the unlockable music is randomized, too. Here's some suggestions to spice up a few levels with alternate tracks:

Chemical Plant Modern: Metal Harbor
Sky Sanctuary Classic: Angel Island
Sky Sanctuary Modern: Savannah Citadel
Speed Highway Classic: Starlight
Speed Highway Modern: Open Your Heart
City Escape Classic: Route 99
City Escape Modern: Right Here, Ride On
Seaside Hill Classic: Hydrocity
Seaside Hill Modern: Emerald Coast
Crisis City Classic: Sonic Boom
Crisis City Modern: Green Forest
Rooftop Run Classic: Marble Garden
Rooftop Run Modern: Tropical Resort
Planet Wisp Classic: Palm Tree Panic or Death Egg
Planet Wisp Modern: Same as Classic

I really love the soundtrack feature in this game.

Also, I 100%'d the game finally. The final boss was a pain, but I got him. Can't wait to just go back and enjoy the levels.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on November 06, 2011, 12:00:08 PM
Unfortunately, like all other game companies Sega likes to do what makes them more money, and add in more levels as DLC rather than as part of the full game experience.

Personally I've always hated the idea of DLC, unless it was in the form of a full expansion-pack that wasn't originally intended to be part of the game. Stuff like adding in a few levels that were already planned and would have gone into the full-game anyways if there were no such thing as DLC should just be in the full-game. I just hate it when companies hold that back to milk out as much money as they can from a game.
Just to state, that there is no on disc DLC other than that Pinball mini-game that came with preorders. Any DLC from here on will be original stuff.

Foggle

How do you beat this stupid fucking grappling hook mission? I've been stuck right outside the goal area for ages.