Sonic The Hedgehog

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 16, 2011, 09:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

Quote from: GaryPotter on November 16, 2011, 03:51:36 PM
It'll be neat finally playing it with the original OST.

Sonic 3 and Knuckles is far better in every way though. I don't know where gamers get the idea that Sonic CD is the best.

I agree with every part of this post... Not to hate on Sonic CD, cause it's great too.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Desensitized on November 16, 2011, 01:41:59 PM
You collect the 7 Chaos Emeralds in the Sonic 3 half and the 7 Super Emeralds in the Sonic & Knuckles half. If you just get 7 emeralds, you only get Super Sonic, but if you get all 14 you get Hyper Sonic AKA when will Sonic Team realize they haven't used him since this game?

Hyper Sonic is faster and using his insta-shield will kill every enemy on the screen.
:o Well shit. I've never got to use him. Is Doomsday any different with him>
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Eddy

So why not a SONIC TIER LIST? (or did anyone already do this?)

Super Sonic Tier
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles
Sonic Generations
Sonic Adventure 2

Knuckles Tier
Sonic Adventure
Sonic Heroes
Sonic Advance
Sonic Advance 2

Tails Tier
Sonic CD
Sonic Advance 3
Sonic the Hedgehog
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
Sonic Unleashed

Robotnik Tier
Sonic R
Sonic Battle
Sonic the Fighters
Sonic Spinball
Sonic 3D Blast
Sonic the Hedgehog 4 - Episode 1
Sonic Rush

Silver Tier/Big the Cat Tier
Sonic Labyrinth
Shadow the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)

Just to make things clear I haven't played Secret Rings, Black Knight, Colors (either version), or Rush Adventure. I also found most of the Game Gear games forgettable, but I remember really hating Labyrinth. I haven't played Sonic 06 or Shadow either, but I've seen enough from both to know where they belong.

Lord Dalek

Quote from: Desensitized on November 16, 2011, 02:14:16 PM
If you're interested, Sonic CD is on XBLA in December and it has a bunch of new features like playable Tails. I have my points saved up for that.
Japan Soundtrack?

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: gunswordfist on November 17, 2011, 09:21:28 AM
Quote from: Desensitized on November 16, 2011, 01:41:59 PM
You collect the 7 Chaos Emeralds in the Sonic 3 half and the 7 Super Emeralds in the Sonic & Knuckles half. If you just get 7 emeralds, you only get Super Sonic, but if you get all 14 you get Hyper Sonic AKA when will Sonic Team realize they haven't used him since this game?

Hyper Sonic is faster and using his insta-shield will kill every enemy on the screen.
:o Well shit. I've never got to use him. Is Doomsday any different with him>
He's much faster in Doomsday, but his instakill doesn't work on bosses so the rest of the fight is pretty much the same.

Quote from: Lord Dalek on November 17, 2011, 11:36:22 AM
Quote from: Desensitized on November 16, 2011, 02:14:16 PM
If you're interested, Sonic CD is on XBLA in December and it has a bunch of new features like playable Tails. I have my points saved up for that.
Japan Soundtrack?
Yes, it's the original soundtrack. The US one might be DLC or something down the line, but it's the original in this game.

Quote from: Eddy on November 17, 2011, 10:25:09 AM
So why not a SONIC TIER LIST? (or did anyone already do this?)

Super Sonic Tier
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Sonic Generations
Sonic Adventure 2

Knuckles Tier
Sonic Adventure
Sonic Heroes
Sonic Advance
Sonic Advance 2

Tails Tier
Sonic CD
Sonic Advance 3
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic Unleashed

Robotnik Tier
Sonic R
Sonic Battle
Sonic the Fighters
Sonic Spinball
Sonic 3D Blast
Sonic the Hedgehog 4 - Episode 1
Sonic Rush

Sonic Labyrinth
Shadow the Hedgehog

Just to make things clear I haven't played Secret Rings, Black Knight, Colors (either version), or Rush Adventure. I also found most of the Game Gear games forgettable, but I remember really hating Labyrinth. I haven't played Sonic 06 or Shadow either, but I've seen enough from both to know where they belong.
Every game I've played? Okay...

Hyper Sonic Tier
Sonic The Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles
Sonic The Hedgehog
Sonic Generations
Sonic The Hedgehog CD
Sonic Colors Wii

Super Sonic Tier
Sonic The Hedgehog (Master System/Game Gear)
Sonic The Hedgehog 2
Sonic Advance
Sonic Adventure
Sonic Pocket Adventure (based on videos)
Sonic Rush

Sonic Tier
Sonic Triple Trouble
Sonic Chaos
Sonic Advance 3
Sonic Adventure 2
Sonic Rush Adventure

Knuckles Tier
Tail's Adventure
Sonic The Hedgehog 2 (Master System/... and Game Gear I guess)
Sonic Colors DS
Sonic Battle
Sonic Unleashed
Sonic & The Secret Rings (From what I played)

Tails Tier
Knuckles Chaotix
Sonic Spinball
Sonic 3D Blast
Sonic The Hedgehog 4 - Episode 1

Big Tier

Sonic Heroes
Sonic Drift 2
Sonic Advance 2
Sonic The Fighters
Sonic R
Sonic Drift

Sonic 06 Tier
Sonic Labyrinth
Shadow The Hedgehog
Sonic The Hedgehog (2006)

I think that's about right.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

Oh snap, Water Palace was revealed as the last 3DS level. The best level in Rush with the best music! Can't wait to hear what the classic remix sounds like of this.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I can only really rank the classic games and the Adventure games which is all that I have played.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles = Sonic 2 >>>>>> Sonic the Hedgehog (the first game is still good, but I think that its kind of boring compared to the sequels)

Sonic Adventure > Sonic Adventure 2 (I like both games, though)

gunswordfist

I've only beat 3 Sonic games so:

Sonic The Hedgehog 2
Sonic The Hedgehog
Sonic 3 & Knuckles

talonmalon333

I'm just doing the main titles.

Super Sonic Tier

Knuckles Tier
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog CD

Tails Tier
Sonic Adventure 2
Sonic Adventure
Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1

Robotnik Tier
Sonic Heroes
Sonic Unleashed

Shadow the Hedgehog

Didn't play Colors or Generations yet.

gunswordfist

Oh, I also beat 3D Blast but whatever.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I got up to Lava Reef Zone in S3K. Man, I love the music in this level. Its probably my 2nd favorite track in the game next to Ice Cap Zone.

Spark Of Spirit

Lava Reef and Hydocity are my favorite levels AND have the best themes, IMO.

Also, I think I just found a new shortcut in Speed Highway Classic. I'm not even sure if it's a good one, or a bad one. But I'm stoked it's still there.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Alright, I just finished Sonic 3 and Knuckles (though I still haven't played through it as any character besides Sonic), so I'll definitely be replaying it sometime soon.

Here's how I rank the games:

Sonic 3 and Knuckles > Sonic 2 >>>>>>> Sonic the Hedgehog

The first game is good, but honestly having 2 bad zones while also being shorter than it sequels makes it the least consistent of the bunch. Also, the fact that you can only play as Sonic and that you lack the spin-dash ability from the sequels makes it feel more limited, as well. On its own its still a great platformer, but compared to the sequels its pretty average, IMO.

I love Sonic 2, and disagree with almost all of Desensitized's complaints about it. The only 2 stages I don't like are Hill Top Zone  and Metropolis Zone, but since the game has about twice as many zones as the first game it still feels more consistent, and I much prefer having only 2 acts per zone as opposed to 3 of them.

As for Sonic 3 and Knuckles, I do agree that its the best in the series, but in terms of playing as only Sonic, I like it just a bit better than Sonic 2, though I find them to be mostly equal, in all honesty. I guess this one gets a slight edge in terms of more creative level design in some areas, and only having 1 and a 1/2 zones that I don't like as opposed to 2 full ones (and if you're curious, I don't like Carnival Night Zone and Sandopolis Zone Act 2).

Overall, though, I think that the classic 2D Sonic games are among the best platformers of all-time. They're definitely up there with classic 2D Mario, Donkey Kong, and Mega Man games in terms of quality, IMO.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on November 20, 2011, 02:34:47 PM
Alright, I just finished Sonic 3 and Knuckles (though I still haven't played through it as any character besides Sonic), so I'll definitely be replaying it sometime soon.

Here's how I rank the games:

Sonic 3 and Knuckles > Sonic 2 >>>>>>> Sonic the Hedgehog

The first game is good, but honestly having 2 bad zones while also being shorter than it sequels makes it the least consistent of the bunch. Also, the fact that you can only play as Sonic and that you lack the spin-dash ability from the sequels makes it feel more limited, as well. On its own its still a great platformer, but compared to the sequels its pretty average, IMO.

I love Sonic 2, and disagree with almost all of Desensitized's complaints about it. The only 2 stages I don't like are Hill Top Zone  and Metropolis Zone, but since the game has about twice as many zones as the first game it still feels more consistent, and I much prefer having only 2 acts per zone as opposed to 3 of them.

As for Sonic 3 and Knuckles, I do agree that its the best in the series, but in terms of playing as only Sonic, I like it just a bit better than Sonic 2, though I find them to be mostly equal, in all honesty. I guess this one gets a slight edge in terms of more creative level design in some areas, and only having 1 and a 1/2 zones that I don't like as opposed to 2 full ones (and if you're curious, I don't like Carnival Night Zone and Sandopolis Zone Act 2).

Overall, though, I think that the classic 2D Sonic games are among the best platformers of all-time. They're definitely up there with classic 2D Mario, Donkey Kong, and Mega Man games in terms of quality, IMO.

I remember you used to like SA and SA2 more. Do you stand by that?

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I can't really say, since its been too long since I played either of the Adventure games. I plan on replaying SA1 as soon as soon as I get the chance, so I'll let you know my thoughts about it in retrospect after I replay it. Until then I can say that S3K has pretty much managed to crack its way into my top 20 favorite games. Its been a pretty awesome couple of weeks as far as gaming goes, for me, as I have played 2 titles that have cracked their way into being among my favorites, with this game being one of them and RE4 being the other one.