Sonic The Hedgehog

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 16, 2011, 09:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

I really like Hill Top Zone, actually.

But I'm not denying most of my complaints are subjective, I still think it's an excellent game at the end of the day.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Maybe I'll feel differently about some zones when I replay them, but yeah I think its all subjective as to what you like and don't like about these games. I don't think any of the games have too many objective flaws or issues, so that's really a testament to how carefully they were designed and how much polish the developers gave them.

BTW, I was wondering, how exactly do you select Knuckles as a playable character in Sonic 3 and Knuckles? In Sonic and Knuckles by itself, it just gives you the option from the main title screen, but in S3K as a joint game you have a save file slot that lets you select from different stages that you have completed, however I don't see an option to select a character so I have no idea how to play as either Knuckles or Tails. I don't see an options menu anywhere either (like in Sonic 2 where you could select between Sonic and Tails under the options menu). I wanted to go straight into replaying the game as Knuckles, but I guess I'm missing some obvious detail here.

In the meantime I may just try to replay Sonic 2 to get all of the Chaos Emeralds as I'll be waiting for Sonic CD to release on XBLA.

Spark Of Spirit

On the file select screen, go to a new file and push up or down to change characters before choosing it. You can be Sonic & Tails, Sonic, Tails, or Knuckles.

You can't change characters on an already existing file, you have to pick a new game.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Oh, I see. That's kind of lame that you can't use level select with different characters unless you've beaten it as them already, but I guess it makes enough sense since I would have replayed all of the levels, anyways. I'll go ahead and play as Knuckles, next, and then if I feel up to it I'll go through the game as Tails.

Oh, BTW, I'll be honest: While most gamers will always play by Sonic as himself, I always prefer to play with Sonic and Tails together. I don't give a fuck what anyone else says, the little guy is useful, and I like having his company in-game without him ever hindering my progress. After all, Tails is viewed as one of the best video game sidekicks of all time for a very good reason. :sly:

Spark Of Spirit

I never play without Tails. NEVER.

It's why I never play Sonic & Knuckles without 3. It doesn't feel right without Tails there.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Heh, Yeah, that's definitely one thing that we can both agree on. To me Tails is an essential part of the classic Sonic experience; aside from the first game, of course, in which neither he nor Knuckles nor any other Sonic character besides Sonic himself and Robotnik existed by that point in time.

Spark Of Spirit

Yeah, one of my favorite missions in Generations is with both classic Sonic and Tails (will avoid further spoilers) and it reminded me that I really wish they had Tails unlockable for a second player.

I'm hoping it gets brought back with Sonic 4 episode 2.

Foggle

I never play with Tails. I even turn him off in Sonic 2. I don't need no goddamn sidekick. :thinkin:

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on November 20, 2011, 05:36:52 PM
I never play with Tails. I even turn him off in Sonic 2. I don't need no goddamn sidekick. :thinkin:
I used to use him to carry Sonic in 3 with my second controller to take alternate routes. I think I even got to fight Knuckles version of the Marble Garden boss with them somehow. That was weird.

Good times.  ;D

Foggle

My friend and I used to play co-op in Sonic 3 & Knuckles all the goddamn time. He always wanted to be Tails so that he could fly. So much fun.

EDIT: Hmm... the original version of this post had a much different meaning. Need to learn to actually use my English major's brain when I'm not in class. :sweat:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Pssshhhhh....People who don't play with Tails just refuse to admit that he probably shows them up every time. :>

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on November 20, 2011, 05:56:51 PM

Pssshhhhh....People who don't play with Tails just refuse to admit that he probably shows them up every time. :>
HOW DID YOU FIND OUT MY SECRET :SHOCK:

Oh yeah, just edited my last post in this thread. Probably makes a lot more sense now. :unimpressed:

talonmalon333

Yeah, back in the Genesis day, Tails was cool. I just enjoy his company when playing Sonic. I also feel like he's kinda MEANT to be there. Like, taking him away would be like taking away one of Link's partners. The story is just incomplete now. His glitches are also funny.

... Speaking of glitches, does anyone remember this passage in the Sonic 3 manual?

"Dr. Robotnik has created many diabolical traps which take advantage of Sonic's ultra-fast speed. Watch out for traps that Sonic cannot escape. If you fall into the wrong trap, you might have to reset the game (by pressing the RESET button) and start again at the beginning of the Zone you were last in. When Sonic is flashing (after being hit) don't let him travel too quickly."

I honestly find it hilarious that they would try to cover up their own glitches by saying "Oh well, it's Robotnik's trap! We put it in there on purpose you noobs!". :shakeshakeshake:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, the annoying thins is that in both Sonic 2 and S3K that glitch happened to me a couple of times. I had to restart the levels from scratch which was really annoying. At least if you play the game either on XBLA or on an emulator on your computer you could save your progress by each stage, but I remember with stuff like Sonic 2 which had no save feature back in the days of the Genesis, if that ever happened to me I would have to just wait until the time ran out and use up a life otherwise end up having to restart the game from Emerald Hill Zone.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on November 20, 2011, 04:49:01 PM
Heh, Yeah, that's definitely one thing that we can both agree on. To me Tails is an essential part of the classic Sonic experience; aside from the first game, of course, in which neither he nor Knuckles nor any other Sonic character besides Sonic himself and Robotnik existed by that point in time.
Amen, brother.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody