Sonic The Hedgehog

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 16, 2011, 09:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: talonmalon333 on January 19, 2012, 09:04:15 PM
Is it possible Episode 2 will get released on the Wii?
No, I doubt it. It looks like the game is simply going to be too big for WiiWare. I'm holding out hope for a 3DS e-shop release and a possible Wii-U release, but I'm not sure.

A retail release when all the episodes are done is possible.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 19, 2012, 09:29:41 PM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on January 19, 2012, 09:04:15 PM
Is it possible Episode 2 will get released on the Wii?
No, I doubt it. It looks like the game is simply going to be too big for WiiWare. I'm holding out hope for a 3DS e-shop release and a possible Wii-U release, but I'm not sure.

A retail release when all the episodes are done is possible.

They should release the whole game on a disk for the Wii U. :P

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

It'd be weird releasing the whole thing as one game, though, given how different episodes 1 and 2 will be from one another. It'll just make for an extremely awkward transition between the 2 games since they will clearly be very different. Most notably they will look very different, being that it was confirmed that episode 2 would change the look from episode 1. Perhaps if they used the same engine and art design that they used to make the classic levels in generations and used it to remake episode 1 (which I guarantee will never happen), the 2 episodes would fit better into one solid game. Otherwise they'll really end up feeling like 2 completely separate games, making Sonic 4 as a whole a very odd experience for someone who goes into it from start to finish expecting just 1 game (unlike Sonic 3 & Knuckles which both fit perfectly together into 1 game when they were combined).

Commode

Quote from: Kiddington on January 11, 2012, 06:08:53 PM
Hmm... so, yeah.

Not completely related to the discussion at hand, so pardon the slight thread derailment, but I seen this and just HAD to post it (and it is Sonic related... sorta).

Has anyone seen this on TV yet? Really, I can't believe this actually exists. Even if it is cheesy, though, I can't help but give props to their using of Sonic 3's invincibility and 1UP themes. Somebody working for this company must be a fan.
I'm finding it strange that this commercial is playing so much on news networks; was just channel surfing and caught the commercial on CNBC, and I've seen it on Fox News at least once besides that YT video.  The only time I've seen it on a channel other than a news one is CN, during an Adventure Time episode a few days ago.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Kiddington

Quote from: Comeau on January 20, 2012, 07:01:07 PM
Quote from: Kiddington on January 11, 2012, 06:08:53 PM
Hmm... so, yeah.

Not completely related to the discussion at hand, so pardon the slight thread derailment, but I seen this and just HAD to post it (and it is Sonic related... sorta).

Has anyone seen this on TV yet? Really, I can't believe this actually exists. Even if it is cheesy, though, I can't help but give props to their using of Sonic 3's invincibility and 1UP themes. Somebody working for this company must be a fan.
I'm finding it strange that this commercial is playing so much on news networks; was just channel surfing and caught the commercial on CNBC, and I've seen it on Fox News at least once besides that YT video.  The only time I've seen it on a channel other than a news one is CN, during an Adventure Time episode a few days ago.

I've been seeing it around quite a bit lately, as a matter of fact. It was on FX just the other day, as well as a couple of other channels that slip my mind at the moment.

I guess that's a good thing.

Spark Of Spirit

Yeah, that commercial is on all the time. It's so weird to see Modern Sonic acting like Classic Sonic, though. I always see them as pretty different personality-wise.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Its been a couple of weeks since I last played the game. Back when I left off, I had S ranked every zone as both classic and modern Sonic except for Planet Wisp which I merely only got an A rank for in both acts. I'll probably try to go ahead and get an S rank in that as well, though I also have to S rank some of the boss fights as well even after I get an S rank in both acts of Planet Wisp. After that all that's really left is for me to collect the rest of the Red Rings and complete all of the challenge missions. I'll be down for replaying the stages and finding the rest of the Red Rings, but I'll be honest in saying that I don't like the challenge stages. With the exception of the ones in which you race a doppleganger (which is basically just a time-trial mode when you really think about it), I just don't like any of the other missions with their trivial objectives. To me, its stuff like this that has been dragging down previous 3D Sonic games by forcing things into the game that don't play to Sonic's gameplay strengths as a platformer. That said, in this game they are at least optional for the most part, so in that regard I'm really grateful and it stops this game from ever feeling like a chore if you don't want it to. That said, I still may eventually come back to finish those challenges just so that I can unlock the rest of the music track in the game, since I still have yet to get some of the best songs that the game has, and very few of the songs that I have unlocked so far are even close to being among my favorites in the series (and so far I've unlocked just over half of the full track).

That said, the game is still awesome and one of the best things that I have played this gen, but I do just wish that it was longer with more zones/acts and scrapped the side challenges instead.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on January 28, 2012, 07:20:51 PM
Its been a couple of weeks since I last played the game. Back when I left off, I had S ranked every zone as both classic and modern Sonic except for Planet Wisp which I merely only got an A rank for in both acts. I'll probably try to go ahead and get an S rank in that as well, though I also have to S rank some of the boss fights as well even after I get an S rank in both acts of Planet Wisp. After that all that's really left is for me to collect the rest of the Red Rings and complete all of the challenge missions. I'll be down for replaying the stages and finding the rest of the Red Rings, but I'll be honest in saying that I don't like the challenge stages. With the exception of the ones in which you race a doppleganger (which is basically just a time-trial mode when you really think about it), I just don't like any of the other missions with their trivial objectives. To me, its stuff like this that has been dragging down previous 3D Sonic games by forcing things into the game that don't play to Sonic's gameplay strengths as a platformer. That said, in this game they are at least optional for the most part, so in that regard I'm really grateful and it stops this game from ever feeling like a chore if you don't want it to. That said, I still may eventually come back to finish those challenges just so that I can unlock the rest of the music track in the game, since I still have yet to get some of the best songs that the game has, and very few of the songs that I have unlocked so far are even close to being among my favorites in the series (and so far I've unlocked just over half of the full track).

That said, the game is still awesome and one of the best things that I have played this gen, but I do just wish that it was longer with more zones/acts and scrapped the side challenges instead.

How's it compare to the other [good] 3D games?

Spark Of Spirit

There are a few really cool missions, like Classic Sonic & Classic Tails co-op, the elemental shield challenges, and some time trials. The rest of the co-op and vs missions kinda suck, though.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: talonmalon333 on January 28, 2012, 07:27:29 PM
How's it compare to the other [good] 3D games?

Well, since its been a long time since I've played either of the Adventure games (those being the only 3D Sonic games that I have ever really played until Generations), I can't really directly compare them to Generations. When I played the Sonic Adventure demo a few months back, I felt that the controls were just fine and I didn't have any problems with the camera, but that was just the first level which probably had the most care and attention put into its design, anyways, so really I can't particularly say how well the rest of the game stacks up to Generations. I will say that Sonic Generations is probably better in terms of just being focused on Sonic, since you don't ever have to bother playing as any other characters in that game (with the exception of maybe Tails, who you control in some of the side challenges when flying around and carrying Sonic). That said as for the actual 3D Sonic gameplay, I can't compare them until I get to play his stages in the Adventure games again. I was thinking of downloading SA1 via XBLA, but due to limited memory space on my HDD, I'll probably have to delete some other games that I own to make room for it.

gunswordfist

Which Game Gear and Master System Sonic games are good?
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: gunswordfist on January 28, 2012, 11:59:56 PM
Which Game Gear and Master System Sonic games are good?
All of them are good.

Sonic 1 is underrated. In my opinion it is one of the best non-16 bit era games. It's more based around platforming and the music is terrific. Highly recommended.

Sonic 2... Well, play the master system version. The GG version has a lot of dumb blind jumps because of terrible screen size. [they basically just chopped screen out of it] And it has a ton of cheap deaths. Play it last.

Sonic Chaos is an average Sonic game. There's nothing really bad here, but nothing really stand out about it. It's worth a play, though.

Sonic Triple Trouble is excellent. Every Sonic fan should play it.

Tails' Adventure is fun. It's more of a metroid style game, and not Sonic like at all [no rolling or speed, really], but it's worth a go.

None of them are bad. I'd say they're all worth a shot.

gunswordfist

I was just thinking about Tails' Adventure. I have to finish that game. Got an order you think I should play them in?
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

I'd start with Sonic 1, Sonic Chaos, Sonic Triple Trouble, then 2 last. 2 is not really a good first impression on the games as it pretty much harbors the most negative aspects of the others games in greater detail. Sonic 1 and Triple Trouble are the best ones.

Oh yeah, also skip all of the Game Gear side games other than Tails' Adventure. They're all pretty bad.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Does anyone know of the Sonic Advance games are any good? I was thinking of picking them up since I saw a bin of old games at my local Game Stop and they had all 3 Sonic Advance games bundled up there for a price of about $10 (though those were the only ones there, since its pretty much just a random selection of games, but I doubt that anyone else will be picking that up anytime soon). If they are worth playing I may go back and get them.