Sonic The Hedgehog

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 16, 2011, 09:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 04, 2012, 04:44:46 PM
Quote from: Rynnec on April 04, 2012, 04:35:01 PM
Which version of the game is the XBLA/PSN based on?
It's based on the PC version which is based on the Gamecube version.
What the fuck. And apparently the Steam version of SA 1 is a port from the HD consoles. That means...

The Steam version is a port of the Xbox 360 version which is a port of the first PC version which is a port of the GameCube version which is a port of the DreamCast version.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on April 04, 2012, 06:35:57 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 04, 2012, 04:44:46 PM
Quote from: Rynnec on April 04, 2012, 04:35:01 PM
Which version of the game is the XBLA/PSN based on?
It's based on the PC version which is based on the Gamecube version.
What the fuck. And apparently the Steam version of SA 1 is a port from the HD consoles. That means...

The Steam version is a port of the Xbox 360 version which is a port of the first PC version which is a port of the GameCube version which is a port of the DreamCast version.

This is 100% correct.

I'm glad Sega is growing out of this silliness.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Kiddington

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 04, 2012, 05:02:57 PM
Some Sonic 4 episode 2 music

I'll say Marble Garden Zone's platform wheels (the things in the ground that you spindash to move platforms) were the highlight of that video for me.

It's not terrible music, IMO, but by no means is it classic. Quite disappointing.

Spark Of Spirit

So assuming Sega is making a Sonic game for the Wii-U (probably by the Colors team) This is what I want.

Level design like this:

Wide, open, lots of branching paths, and yet really fun to speed through. Sky Sanctuary in Generations was a wide open level with a lot of shortcuts, and cool tricks to speed through. Best of all? It wasn't a boost fest. Boost here and you'll die fast.

If there's going to be 2D segments like in Unleashed, Colors, or Generations, make it like this:

That's right, Classic Sonic. If Sega is going to keep putting in 2D segments (and they're fun, no doubt) make them play like Classic Sonic. In fact, use the Classic Sonic physics for 3D while you're at it to make the transition easier. Can't hurt! Also, make the 2D like Speed Highway where it's almost maze like, but still straightforward to speed through.

As for art style, well that's easy:

Sonic Colors. Keep doing this.

Music? Again:

Colors has it nailed.

I have pretty high hopes for the next Sonic game as long as Sonic Team doesn't go nuts thinking we need another Sonic 06, I'd say the series is in pretty good hands.

Oh yeah, and get Yasuhara and Nintendo to co-develop a Sonic and Mario game together, please.  :humhumhum:
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Eddy

I'm hoping Sonic 4 Episode 2 isn't a big as a let down as Episode 1 was.

That's cool that Sonic Adventure 2 is heading to XBLA though. Here's hoping it SA2 Battle.

talonmalon333

You guys hear the rumor of a Sonic reboot?

Nel_Annette

Agreeing with Spark on everything on his last post! :O Generations level design is so friggin' perfect (the console one, of course. Screw the 3DS version). But when Modern Sonic is in a 2D section, he really should play the way classic did. It'd be the perfect hybrid. Keep the composers around who did the past few games, and make the levels as creative and beautiful as Colors. They'd have a winning formula for years to come, I think.

EDIT: Bring some other characters back, too. Make some play in 3D only levels, while some in 2D only, and others in a hybrid. Whatever fits them best. If they're no where near as fast as Sonic, then let the 3D gameplay be like it was in Adventure. Every character should be Get-To-The-Goal only, no bullshit. They can go through sections of Sonic's level, but mostly stick to parts of the level that only they can access or has been specifically designed for them and their abilities. I like having other playable characters, just not when they have vastly different gameplay styles from Sonic.

Foggle

Quote from: talonmalon333 on April 04, 2012, 11:57:37 PM
You guys hear the rumor of a Sonic reboot?
Fuck reboots. That would be stupid unless they do something like this:

• Remove all side characters except for Tails and Knuckles, with Tails' voice made less obnoxious
  • Remove all semblance of storytelling
  • Make the overall series tone family-friendly like the 2D titles instead of that embarrassing little kid shit from the newest games and the "dark, edgy" pap from Adventure 2 and Shadow
  • Remove all non-platforming gameplay
  • Tighten up the controls in the free-running 3D sections
  • Figure out a way to make water levels fun

If all that happened, I'd happily accept a Sonic reboot. ;)

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Nel on April 04, 2012, 11:59:56 PM
Agreeing with Spark on everything on his last post! :O Generations level design is so friggin' perfect (the console one, of course. Screw the 3DS version). But when Modern Sonic is in a 2D section, he really should play the way classic did. It'd be the perfect hybrid. Keep the composers around who did the past few games, and make the levels as creative and beautiful as Colors. They'd have a winning formula for years to come, I think.

EDIT: Bring some other characters back, too. Make some play in 3D only levels, while some in 2D only, and others in a hybrid. Whatever fits them best. If they're no where near as fast as Sonic, then let the 3D gameplay be like it was in Adventure. Every character should be Get-To-The-Goal only, no bullshit. They can go through sections of Sonic's level, but mostly stick to parts of the level that only they can access or has been specifically designed for them and their abilities. I like having other playable characters, just not when they have vastly different gameplay styles from Sonic.
Sonic Colors had it best (again, Colors unknowingly has a great template) with the 6 act/6 zone plus final level/boss formula, but it could be improved further.

Act 1 - Full 3D introduction act, think any first act in the adventure games
Act 2 - Combination of 2D and 3D
Act 3 - Same as Act 2, another combination but maybe with more/less 2D than the previous act
Act 4 - Gimmick act like the (good) challenge missions from Generations or the spring/race acts in Colors
Act 5 - Full 2D act Sonic 3 & Knuckles style
Act 6 - Another Full 3D act like act 1

That way you get a lot of variety, yet it's still focused on Sonic gameplay first and foremost. You can even put in branching paths in the levels for characters like Tails or whatever and it would still work. No Treasure Hunting, Werehog, Mech shooting, Fishing, Collecting, or whatever.

Quote from: Foggle on April 05, 2012, 12:38:02 AM

• Figure out a way to make water levels fun

It's been done.  :P

Just have a way to make Sonic speed through the water fast (Hydrocity has slides and spin boosters and Aquarium Park has "DRILL!" and the tubes) like any other Sonic level and nobody will complain. I like those two examples because they're both wholly original and a breath of fresh air in that they're fun and yet different than any of the other levels in the game.

To be honest, it's Mario that has to work on making the water levels fun. 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy's water levels are textbook definition of bad water levels.

Foggle

Good point. I wasn't too big on some parts of Aquarium Park, but DAT MUSIC. And Hydocity is one of the best zones in the series.

Foggle

Oh yeah, this is kind of embarrassing... but how do you light dash in Sonic Generations? I've played with tutorials turned off since Green Hill, so I never learned how. I use a gamepad, so it's cool to just tell me the Xbox 360 controls.

Spark Of Spirit

It was a real treat, too. Since it was actually the first full fledged water zone in a Sonic game since Hydrocity itself. A bit rough in certain spots, but it lends itself great for replays since it probably has the most branching paths in the entire game. The water parts in Seaside Hill and Chemical Plant in Generations were pretty well handled, too.

I'm not even sure why it took so long for them to do another water level. Between Adventure 2 and Unleashed, Sonic seemed to die anytime he even touched water.

Quote from: Foggle on April 05, 2012, 01:01:01 AM
Oh yeah, this is kind of embarrassing... but how do you light dash in Sonic Generations? I've played with tutorials turned off since Green Hill, so I never learned how. I use a gamepad, so it's cool to just tell me the Xbox 360 controls.
You push Y (or triangle on PS3) right as you touch glowing ring trails (and I'm talking split second here) in order to light dash. I wouldn't rely on it, though. It's really finicky.

Foggle

Ah... I always figured it was X like in Adventure and I was somehow doing it wrong. :lol:

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on April 05, 2012, 01:06:37 AM
Ah... I always figured it was X like in Adventure and I was somehow doing it wrong. :lol:
It's really hard to time, though. Like you have to push it the split second before you actually touch the ring trail. Thankfully it isn't over pits or anything like in Metal Harbor, just for shortcuts, so it's passable.

Nel_Annette

There is one teensy thing Colors did that irked me, and I know I'm nitpicking but...

The acts have to have their own separate level designs. All the Act 2-6s in Colors were just sections of Act 1 with a different Wisp gimmick or platforming section, and sometimes they'd try to hide it with camera angles but it was so blatantly obvious. That just... bugged me. I'd rather have acts that have their own completely separate layout and are the same length. Some of Colors' felt way too short. Unleashed sort of had this problem too, but that was more because the other acts were usually very hard or placed around one simple gimmick.

Like, for example, it would have been cool if all of Act 1 of Planet Wisp took place in the untouched forest/plains, Act 2 took place in the section Eggman was terraforming, and Act 3 was that final tower structure leading up to that glowing chain thing holding the planet. I would have liked that kind of design.

Again though, it's a minor nitpick, Colors was still great.