Sonic The Hedgehog

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 16, 2011, 09:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

By the way, what are you guys' thoughts on the more recent handheld games in the series (by this, I mean the Advance and Rush games)?

Foggle

The Advance games are great. Can't believe I forgot to put them on that list I made a few days ago. Never played Rush.

Eddy

You know what? Rooftop Run from Generations (particularly Modern) just makes me want to run FAST.

Spark Of Spirit

I get the same feeling from Modern Speed Highway.

As for the games...

Advance 1: Great. Better than Sonic 4.
Advance 2: Don't like. It's like Rush without the boost and way too many bottomless pits.
Advance 3: A weird game. It's like the sequel to Knuckles Chaotix. Your mileage may vary.
Rush: Unique. Some later levels have too many instant death traps, but it's nice for quick bursts of play.
Rush Adventure: Too much filler. Levels are more boring than Rush, though there are less cheap deaths.
Colors DS: Boring. This is the most dull Sonic game ever. It's not even that bad (Though Asteroid Coaster is pretty awful), just a chore to play.

Sort of mixed. As a whole, I think Sonic 1 8-bit, Sonic Chaos, and Triple Trouble for the Game Gear are better experiences.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 28, 2012, 06:44:00 PM
Colors DS: Boring. This is the most dull Sonic game ever. It's not even that bad (Though Asteroid Coaster is pretty awful), just a chore to play.
But Sterling thought it was far superior to the Wii version!

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on April 28, 2012, 07:27:59 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 28, 2012, 06:44:00 PM
But Sterling thought it was far superior to the Wii version!
More proof that he's crazy.

Take Rush, strip out all the fun, and you have Colors DS.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

What about Generations (3?)DS? How's that one? ???

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on April 28, 2012, 07:41:35 PM
What about Generations (3?)DS? How's that one? ???
It's better than Colors DS and Rush Adventure, but it's way too short. Classic Sonic's first 3 levels are ripped right out of the Genesis games, Radical Highway is a terrible level, and Modern Sonic has a dull level or two. However, there are a ton of missions, so there is some replay value to be had.

As a cheap priced game, it's fine enough.

The Ending Medley is just as awesome as the HD one, however.

Eddy

I personally hated Sonic Rush and don't understand why so many people love it. Way too many cheap deaths, even for a Sonic game. :oo:

talonmalon333

Maybe it's been too long, but the handheld 2D Sonic games I played oftentimes had the issue of everything being about boosting your way to the end.

Spark Of Spirit

You guys should play the 8-bit Sonic games sometime. They're second only to the Genesis ones.

Quote from: Eddy on April 30, 2012, 12:46:22 AM
I personally hated Sonic Rush and don't understand why so many people love it. Way too many cheap deaths, even for a Sonic game. :oo:
Yep, it's cheap in the last few zones. But I just really got into the fast paced twitch gameplay. It wasn't as good as the classic formula, but it was fresh at the time.

But- diminishing returns. Each game since it has felt more and more stale.

Nel_Annette

I just really didn't like Rush/Rush Adventure/Colors DS's gameplay. When I play Sonic in 2D, the constant boosting and tricks just aren't what I want to do. And barring a few pieces, the music in the Rush series is awful. And they interrupted Planet Wisp's beautiful bgm with constant drilling!

And sorry to say, but Generations 3DS was awful. The (original) level designs were awful, barring modern Mushroom Hill. Seriously, each level had at least one section that made me not want to play again, the remixes are pretty bad and/or lazy (which sucks b/c the console Generations was full of great remixes), they've got one random portable title represented but no others, and neither version of Sonic controls well.

Rush Adventure though. There are two things about that game I really love. First, the level environments actually change it up from the norm for a 2D Sonic game. We get haunted ships, pirate towns, other... things. Machine Labyrinth reminds me of a modern day Sunset Park, and Sky Babylon's bgm is badass.

At least these games are remembered, though. Barely anyone I know remembers the two Rivals games even existed. XD

talonmalon333

I also thought Rush Adventure had too much text for my Sonic liking. :P

Spark Of Spirit

I actually hope they shelve the Rush formula now. There's really nothing exciting going for it anymore, and DIMPs is just lazy.

Being back my classic 2D Sonic games!

talonmalon333

I think Sonic can just stay in 2D from now on. It's what people loved about all his games after all, including his recent ones.