Sonic The Hedgehog

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 16, 2011, 09:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Well, rumor is that the next 3D Sonic game is going to be a "rethink" in direction.

In my opinion, I'd love to see them try the classic formula in 3D. It's about due for a try.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: talonmalon333 on April 30, 2012, 01:51:09 PM
I think Sonic can just stay in 2D from now on. It's what people loved about all his games after all, including his recent ones.
I liked the 3D parts of Generations a lot.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I liked the 3D sections in Generations, myself, but honestly I wish they didn't put so much emphasis on boosting in those levels. Its a good ability and should be a part of all 3D Sonic games, but I felt as though it was too much of a crutch gimmick for the developers to rely on in their level design that more than half of most levels involved me having to use the boosting ability to overcome various obstacles. There is some actual skill required in using boosting appropriately and effectively to reach alternate paths, which is a good idea, but I just wish they'd find other abilities or obstacles for 3D Sonic to overcome that could make for more varied gameplay and more interesting exploration. From what I hear, Colors is pretty good about that with the Wisps, but I'm not sure if Sega will have those as a mainstay element for the series, so they should at least have an equivalent to that with each new 3D Sonic game they come out with, IMO.

Spark Of Spirit

Boosting in Colors is pretty much relegated to reaching other paths and speedrunning. Since you can only get boost from destroying enemies and capsules, it's a lot harder to come by.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

I still need to play Generations, so I'm not sure how good the 3D parts are. Maybe you guys are right. I was just basing on what I've heard others say.

As for Colors... I barely remember any 3D portions that weren't almost entirely boosting. :P

talonmalon333

So tell me, how many Sonic fans out there had this problem, too? :P

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I remember that part. I got stuck on there the first time I ever played this game (part of why I have bad memories about Carnival Night Zone), and the funny thing is that I still got stuck on that part yet again when I replayed the game a few months ago and totally forgot what I was supposed to do there.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on April 30, 2012, 07:25:00 PM
I remember that part. I got stuck on there the first time I ever played this game (part of why I have bad memories about Carnival Night Zone), and the funny thing is that I still got stuck on that part yet again when I replayed the game a few months ago and totally forgot what I was supposed to do there.

First time you played? I was stuck there for half of my childhood. XD

Funny how they scrapped it in Knuckle's adventure.

Spark Of Spirit

I don't remember how long it took me to figure it out but... I figured it out. Once I noticed jumping wasn't doing anything I just played with the d-pad until I noticed it moving.

I mean, it's not like there were a ton of things you could do there.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 30, 2012, 07:39:09 PM

I was a dumb kid. :P

Probably should've realized I was doing it wrong when Super Sonic's jumping didn't work.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 30, 2012, 07:39:09 PM
I don't remember how long it took me to figure it out but... I figured it out. Once I noticed jumping wasn't doing anything I just played with the d-pad until I noticed it moving.

You should realize that most kids are stubborn, and when most of us who couldn't figure it out were kids, our response to our first instinct not working (i.e., jumping up and down repeatedly until something happens) was to move onto the next logical step in our thought process to get past that part, which was to keep doing the same thing we were already doing over and over again until we finally got what we wanted. Needless to say that never worked, but that's what most people did. Clearly you were never a kid when you played this game. :bleh:

Quote from: talonmalon333 on April 30, 2012, 07:43:09 PM
I was a dumb kid. :P

Probably should've realized I was doing it wrong when Super Sonic's jumping didn't work.

Now, how the hell did you ever manage to unlock Super Sonic by that point in the game if you hadn't already gotten past that part to go to later levels and collect the rest of the chaos emeralds?

Lord Dalek

Never liked STH3 period. Too hard to get the Chaos Emeralds and that damn drum.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on April 30, 2012, 08:32:49 PM

Now, how the hell did you ever manage to unlock Super Sonic by that point in the game if you hadn't already gotten past that part to go to later levels and collect the rest of the chaos emeralds?

It's possible to get four Chaos Emeralds in Angel Island Zone. After that, it wasn't too hard getting the remaining three in the next few levels. As a kid, since I couldn't get past Carnival Night Zone, I played the first four levels a lot, so I knew the locations of where to find the giant rings. :P

If you think that's hard to imagine, it's possible to get six Super Emeralds in Mushroom Hill Zone. :SHOCK:

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Lord Dalek on April 30, 2012, 08:36:12 PM
Never liked STH3 period. Too hard to get the Chaos Emeralds and that damn drum.
Wow, really? I thought it was the easiest game to get the emeralds in. I usually had them all by Marble Garden.

It was (and still is) Sonic 2 where I can never manage to get all the emeralds.

Daxdiv

Yep, I think once I learned what unlocked Emeralds in STH3, I learned I can abuse that early in the first level by at least getting 3 or 4.