Sonic The Hedgehog

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 16, 2011, 09:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Dalek

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 30, 2012, 08:54:56 PM
Quote from: Lord Dalek on April 30, 2012, 08:36:12 PM
Never liked STH3 period. Too hard to get the Chaos Emeralds and that damn drum.
Wow, really? I thought it was the easiest game to get the emeralds in. I usually had them all by Marble Garden.

It was (and still is) Sonic 2 where I can never manage to get all the emeralds.
I haven't got the best reflexes which led to a lot of mishit bumpers.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Lord Dalek on April 30, 2012, 09:09:38 PM
Quote from: Lord Dalek on April 30, 2012, 08:36:12 PM
Never liked STH3 period. Too hard to get the Chaos Emeralds and that damn drum.
Wow, really? I thought it was the easiest game to get the emeralds in. I usually had them all by Marble Garden.

I haven't got the best reflexes which led to a lot of mishit bumpers.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Later special stages can get pretty fast and out there. Especially in the &K half.

I guess practicing in the blue sphere lock-ons helped me out, since I can get Perfects on all of them now. But they do require some memorization.

Whereas I still tend to mess up on the first special stage in Sonic 1 on an almost regular basis.  >_<
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Kiddington

As far as the Carnival Night Zone barrel/drum is concerned, the first time I got through that was actually a bit different. I had my brother take control of Tails on a 2P game, and he just kept jumping on it until the gap was large enough for me to spindash through with Sonic.

It wasn't the right way, but it worked. I wouldn't end up discovering the real way to pass it for several years. How lame is that?  :P

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on April 30, 2012, 09:14:21 PM
Whereas I still tend to mess up on the first special stage in Sonic 1 on an almost regular basis.  >_<

Oh wow, don't remind me.

IMO, Sonic 1 had the hardest special stages. I don't know what it is, but those things have always given me fits. Even now, it's not a given that I'll get all six Emeralds in any single playthrough.

talonmalon333

Because the Special Stages in that game are unbelievably frustrating. And the payoff isn't even worth it, as all you get is Super Sonic for a few levels, and an alternate ending that isn't as good as the regular one. :P

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Not to mention they are made needlessly even harder by playing with Tails, since if he gets hit he'll lose some of the rings that you're carrying, even if you yourself are avoiding obstacles perfectly.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: talonmalon333 on April 30, 2012, 11:54:23 PM

Because the Special Stages in that game are unbelievably frustrating. And the payoff isn't even worth it, as all you get is Super Sonic for a few levels, and an alternate ending that isn't as good as the regular one. :P
It's why I don't even bother with it anymore.

Heck, try even getting 50 rings in Metropolis. Good luck with that.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Eddy

Collecting all the Emeralds in Sonic 2 was a colossal pain in the ass. I've only ever done it on the XBLA version of the game since you could use save states and the only way I could see anyone getting all the emeralds was by flat out memorizing the special stages.

Ugh.

Kiddington

Honestly, I never had that much of a problem with Sonic 2's special stages myself. Sonic 1 always gave me a lot more trouble.

I don't know why that is. Maybe it's the lack of opportunities (only being able to access a special stage at the end of a level, as opposed to every signpost with the right amount of rings), and the pressure is higher not to screw up. I dunno, I really can't explain it.

Foggle

I thought both Sonic 1 and 2 had pretty frustrating special stages. 1's were worse for me, though.

Spark Of Spirit

I actually preferred the way Sonic 1 and 3K (and CD) did special stages as opposed to Sonic 2. Sonic 1 and CD made you getting them at level's end so you could rest up, 3K you had to actively seek out and once you beat the game with them you could replay from the beginning with them, but 2 basically broke all flow with the level. And since they were so hard you'd be doing that with EVERY level to try and get the emeralds.

And they bring those half-pipes back in like every Sonic game for a special stage!

Eddy

I hated Sonic 1's special stages as well.

I think Sonic 3 had the best ones.

Spark Of Spirit

Sonic CD's were great, too. They took a bit of practice, but they were totally fun to play.

Kiddington

I didn't really "hate" Sonic 1's special stages, I just had a lot more problems with those than I ever did 2 or CD or S3K.

Like 'em or hate 'em, though, you have to admit; the music was nothing short of beautiful.

gunswordfist

Quote from: talonmalon333 on April 30, 2012, 01:51:09 PM
I think Sonic can just stay in 2D from now on. It's what people loved about all his games after all, including his recent ones.
I don't want 3D abandoned. There's so much left to do. I want them to focus more on platforming, less on speed-a-thon,
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on April 30, 2012, 07:25:00 PM
I remember that part. I got stuck on there the first time I ever played this game (part of why I have bad memories about Carnival Night Zone), and the funny thing is that I still got stuck on that part yet again when I replayed the game a few months ago and totally forgot what I was supposed to do there.
:D I had to come to this site and asked what the hell was I supposed to do. I think Insommy told me.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody