Sonic The Hedgehog

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 16, 2011, 09:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, I've heard that Sonic Adventure DX allows you to unlock the Game Gear Sonic games? Is that true? And if its true, does that also apply to the DX add-on for Sonic Adventure on XBLA? Because, if its true, then I might actually consider getting it.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 11, 2012, 12:52:37 AM
So, I've heard that Sonic Adventure DX allows you to unlock the Game Gear Sonic games? Is that true? And if its true, does that also apply to the DX add-on for Sonic Adventure on XBLA? Because, if its true, then I might actually consider getting it.
It's in the add-on content you have to buy separately.

But keep in mind if you do get it, the screen size is very restricting. Sonic 2 8-bit suffers heavily from this issue.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 11, 2012, 12:54:44 AM
It's in the add-on content you have to buy separately.
The GameCube and Steam versions have them packed in by default, though.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, but its the easiest legal way that I can own those games (even if they are downloadable on the Nintendo VC for the Wii or DS or 3DS or something like that, I'd still have to buy those first before I could get them), and I don't mind the screen-size making the graphics look worse as long as the games are still playable.

And yeah, I'm aware that the DX content is an add-on for the XBLA version of the game (hence why I specifically mentioned the DX add-on content), but its only 400 MP, so the way I see it I think of it as dropping $5 for the Game Gear Sonic games, which is worth it if they are good games.

Spark Of Spirit

No, the smaller screen size hurts Sonic 2 8-bit because you have to make blind jumps and guess certain boss patterns because you simply can't see the full field of view of the screen. It doesn't hurt Sonic 1, Triple Trouble, or Chaos that much, but in Sonic 2 it's a real issue.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 11, 2012, 12:58:59 AM
No, the smaller screen size hurts Sonic 2 8-bit because you have to make blind jumps and guess certain boss patterns because you simply can't see the full field of view of the screen. It doesn't hurt Sonic 1, Triple Trouble, or Chaos that much, but in Sonic 2 it's a real issue.
Is this true in the XBLA version or just the GameCube version?

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Hmmmm....That does seem like an issue, but as long as the other 3 games are still good, I'd still consider getting the DX content (of course I'd have to get the actual game first before I can get the add-on for it :sweat: ).

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Foggle on May 11, 2012, 01:00:04 AM

From what I've heard the XBLA version IS basically just a direct port of the GameCube version of the game, so its probably the same.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on May 11, 2012, 01:00:04 AM
It's a direct problem with the Game Gear version of Sonic 2.

The Master System versions are better only really due to that. But you can get by with the Game Gear ones. Just know what you're getting into.

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 11, 2012, 01:00:35 AM

Hmmmm....That does seem like an issue, but as long as the other 3 games are still good, I'd still consider getting the DX content (of course I'd have to get the actual game first before I can get the add-on for it :sweat: ).
Just download a ROM of Sonic 2 Master System. You already paid for it, so there's no shame. ;)

Spark Of Spirit

Oh wait, according to Wikipedia, the game doesn't include the Game Gear games or DLC from the Dreamcast version:

QuoteSonic Adventure was released on Xbox Live Arcade on September 15, 2010, while the PlayStation Network version was released on September 20, 2010.[9] The initial release is based on the PC version of Sonic Adventure DX despite the game simply being called "Sonic Adventure".[10] The DLC package, simply titled "Sonic Adventure DX Upgrade", has launched alongside the game on XBLA, and PSN, which upgrades the game to include all of the features from the GameCube and PC versions with the exception of the Game Gear games and Dreamcast DLC.
Good thing I never got the DLC. What a rip off.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, that's along the lines of what I was thinking. I don't like to resort to ROMs and emulators for the most part because it doesn't feel right, but if I already own the game and its just more convenient to play the ROM version of it, than I have no qualms about doing so since I've already paid for the game.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

WTF? Seriously? That's literally the ONLY thing that interested me about the DX content....and its not even content from that game. Fuck that shit. I'm just going to have to find a way to play the Game Gear games through some other means. I still plan to download the main game for Sonic Adventure via XBLA later on, though.

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 11, 2012, 01:06:32 AM
QuoteSonic Adventure was released on Xbox Live Arcade on September 15, 2010, while the PlayStation Network version was released on September 20, 2010.[9] The initial release is based on the PC version of Sonic Adventure DX despite the game simply being called "Sonic Adventure".[10] The DLC package, simply titled "Sonic Adventure DX Upgrade", has launched alongside the game on XBLA, and PSN, which upgrades the game to include all of the features from the GameCube and PC versions with the exception of the Game Gear games and Dreamcast DLC.
Whoa, wtf? What does the DLC even include, then? I guess that content isn't in the PSN or Steam versions either... :imnothappy:

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 11, 2012, 01:08:18 AM
WTF? Seriously? That's literally the ONLY thing that interested me about the DX content....and its not even content from that game. Fuck that shit. I'm just going to have to find a way to play the Game Gear games through some other means. I still plan to download the main game for Sonic Adventure via XBLA later on, though.
Do you still have a GameCube? Maybe you can seek out that version.

Spark Of Spirit

I guess it just includes those stupid time trials and missions. It's totally lame either way. I don't really understand the point of the DLC at all.