Sonic The Hedgehog

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 16, 2011, 09:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddy

The Knuckles songs in SA2 were pretty cheesy but, I admit, I like Pumpkin Hill.

I'll have to get Episode II now.

Spark Of Spirit

Well that's because unlike Sonic he doesn't chuckle.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on May 17, 2012, 04:30:23 PM
Well that's because unlike Sonic he doesn't chuckle.

He'd rather flex his muscles.

(Can't believe I remember those lyrics. The SA and SA2 music was so cheesy. :P)

Nel_Annette

Alright, having played through Sylvania Castle in Sonic 4 Episode 2... enjoying it just as much as Sonic 4 so far. Which basically means I don't really like it. Not noticing any physics difference, the homing attack still feels like it's relied on too much, they seem to be continuing the "each act has an overused gimmick" thing, the Tails combo moves are annoying... ugh.

I do like the music the same way I liked Episode 1's music; it's good, but can't touch the classic soundtracks. The level I played was very beautiful-looking; I expect the others will be too. On that note, I do like them using levels that are actually original. I also loved the troll moment when the Aquatic Ruin totem polls appeared.

Gotta play through the rest of this; I hear both the Death Egg and Little Planet reappear, so yaaay!

(Whoever designed Generation's classic level design and gameplay should have done this...)

gunswordfist

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 16, 2012, 08:24:05 PM
I've heard mixed opinions on it. I think its one of those games where you either love or hate its gameplay gimmick. I've heard some good things about it as well as bad, though, honestly. Maybe its at least worth checking out via an emulator, and if I like what I play of it I'll seek out the actual game. Has the game been ported at all, though? I know that it was released as a Sega 32X game (which is pretty lame considering that it looks like it could run on the regular Genesis without that peripheral just fine based on its graphics and physics), so I honestly can't get the original version of it, but if it was ported to some handheld or something it should be relatively easy to find.
I remember that game have big empty spaces, little enemies and I don't remember running into a single boss in the time I played that game. It was like a tech demo.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on June 13, 2012, 10:41:56 PM
How's this one, Spark?
Imagine Sonic 3D Blast only without the 3D. So you basically have bad game in a sidescrolling perspective.

Some people consider this worse than Sonic Labyrinth.

I'm still not sure why they skipped Sonic 1 8-bit and Sonic Chaos, but I wish they'd get around to them.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 13, 2012, 10:49:13 PM
Imagine Sonic 3D Blast only without the 3D. So you basically have bad game in a sidescrolling perspective.

Good lord, that sounds abominable.

I'm currently watching a playthrough and it looks worse than Sonic 4... the SNES version.

Kiddington

Quote from: Foggle on June 13, 2012, 10:53:29 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on June 13, 2012, 10:49:13 PM

Good lord, that sounds abominable.

I'm currently watching a playthrough and it looks worse than Sonic 4... the SNES version.

Hey, as far as pirates go, that game's not half bad. I mean, yeah, it's completely unchanged from the Speedy Gonzales game they ripped it off of (except with Sonic and Mario sprites, instead of mice), but hey, at least it's playable.

...as for Sonic Blast; I remember playing it on the PS2 Mega Collection some years ago (bought that for all the extra Game Gear titles it came packaged with, as I never owned a Game Gear), and I just remember it being extremely slow and clunky, even by "bad" Sonic game standards. The boss battles were also pretty awful; either they were an absolute bore with no challenge whatsoever, or so extremely cheap that they were borderline impossible to beat. Almost nothing in between.

So yeah, stay away from that one.

Foggle

Quote from: Kiddington on June 13, 2012, 11:02:28 PM
Hey, as far as pirates go, that game's not half bad.
And the music is pretty rad, tbh.

Kiddington

Quote from: Foggle on June 13, 2012, 11:06:12 PM
Quote from: Kiddington on June 13, 2012, 11:02:28 PM
Hey, as far as pirates go, that game's not half bad.
And the music is pretty rad, tbh.

Hell yeah it is.

Have you ever played the actual Speedy Gonzales game (the one this pirate is based off of)? It's pretty good. Had it as a kid, and it's a really underrated platformer.

Foggle

I have not! It looks pretty good from the videos I've seen, though.

Spark Of Spirit

Nel_Annette

If Sonic 3D Blast had been a 2D game, with the same levels and music with classic gameplay, that would have ruled.

Sonic Blast, however, doesn't rule. Do not buy that when it comes to the VC. Utter garbage. Weird controls, glitchy as hell, and the character is so big on the screen that you can barely tell what's around you.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I just bought Sonic Colors as a birthday present for my little sister (she's turning 8 tomorrow). Hopefully she manages to get a lot of fun out of this game. Currently the only other Wii game that she owns is NSMB Wii, which she downright refuses to play without me because of how devilishly hard it gets after the first few worlds (even though I keep telling her that its easier to play with just 1 person, since co-op makes things harder if you aren't perfectly in sync with the rest of the team). If Colors is on the same level of difficulty as Generations, then I can imagine that she could at least get pretty far in the game. Then again, Planet Wisp being the representative stage from Sonic Colors in Generations was the only challenging stage in the entire game for Generations (not counting the annoying as fuck final boss fight). Though, that is only challenging relative to the other stages, of course, but I don't think that she could beat that particular stage yet. Well, anyways, as long as she enjoys the game then it was worth getting it for her. I may try to sneak in some play-time with the game myself, if I get the chance. :D