Sonic The Hedgehog

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 16, 2011, 09:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nel_Annette

Planet Wisp was only that hard because it was the last level and they were trying to emulate a Scrap Brain feeling as well. The Colors version, thankfully, is only medium difficulty, as it's intended to be played as the 4th stage in the game (though you can really choose which levels you want to tackle in whatever order at that point.)

On the whole, I'd say Generations is probably easier, though.

Foggle

Colors is a pretty easy game outside of the final level iirc. Though I did have a problem figuring out where to go during one of the Aquarium Park stages.

talonmalon333

How come you don't ever get to play the Wii, EK? :P

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Because I don't live with my mom. My sister stays at my mom's house, and I'm usually either at college during the school semester or at my Dad's house since he lives much closer to my college than my mom does, and that's in the area where most of my friends still live, anyways.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on July 09, 2012, 03:24:50 PM
I just bought Sonic Colors as a birthday present for my little sister (she's turning 8 tomorrow). Hopefully she manages to get a lot of fun out of this game. Currently the only other Wii game that she owns is NSMB Wii, which she downright refuses to play without me because of how devilishly hard it gets after the first few worlds (even though I keep telling her that its easier to play with just 1 person, since co-op makes things harder if you aren't perfectly in sync with the rest of the team). If Colors is on the same level of difficulty as Generations, then I can imagine that she could at least get pretty far in the game. Then again, Planet Wisp being the representative stage from Sonic Colors in Generations was the only challenging stage in the entire game for Generations (not counting the annoying as fuck final boss fight). Though, that is only challenging relative to the other stages, of course, but I don't think that she could beat that particular stage yet. Well, anyways, as long as she enjoys the game then it was worth getting it for her. I may try to sneak in some play-time with the game myself, if I get the chance. :D
I wouldn't worry, as already mentioned Planet Wisp in generations was much more Scrap Brain influenced than anything else. There aren't even any sawblades in the Colors version.

I think she will enjoy it, however. The game isn't crazy hard (some parts of Asteroid Coaster and Aquarium Park are a bit tough, but nothing outright hard) other than the final level which will probably take some practice.

Hope you get to play it! I still really like the game.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I just purchased Sonic CD off of Steam for $3 in total. This is the one where Tails is featured as a playable character. This is one also supports wide-screen and its the first time that I'll be playing this game. I hope its as good as the main series classics. ;)

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

And....wouldn't you know it, the game's not running on my computer for some reason. Good thing I only payed $3 for it. :-\

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on July 14, 2012, 10:45:39 AM
And....wouldn't you know it, the game's not running on my computer for some reason. Good thing I only payed $3 for it. :-\
That's... interesting. What's the problem with it?

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

If I try to launch the game, I first get prompted if I want to either start the game or do a video setup. If I just opt to launch the game nothing happens. If I select the video setups, I get an error message like this:

"Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately"

"Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D, Version=1.0.2902.0,Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified."

Being that I suck with computers, I have no idea what any of that means, other than the fact that at this moment, my computer cannot run Sonic CD. :(

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

This person had the exact same problem that I'm having now (albeit with a different game, probably).

Foggle

Looks to me like Steam didn't install the new version of DirectX properly when you ran Sonic CD the first time. Try this! http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, I just saw that in the thread that I linked too. I'm installing it right now. Hopefully it works. ;)

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, now the game works on my computer. Thanks for the help, Foggle! :thumbup:

The only problem that I have now (which is really minor), is that the start-up logos end up being way too big and I end up seeing the upper left corner of those screens while the rest is left off-screen. Other than that, the actual game menu and game itself is completely centered on screen, so that's all that matters.

Anyways, I know that the game supports an XBOX360 controller, but I have no idea how to get it to work on my computer, so that's the next thing I need to figure out. For now, though, it works with a keyboard, so I played through the first few zones. The game plays as great as any other classic Sonic game. I have to admit, though, I'm not quite certain of what the objectives are supposed to be in each level. I get that you can do certain things in the past to change the future, but I have no idea what I'm supposed to do there other than complete the level by getting to the goal.

Foggle

You actually have a wired controller, not one of those USB chargers and a wireless one, right? The latter won't work for some reason.

I've found that you usually have to plug the controller in before you start a game or the program won't detect the connected hardware. Also, search around the options menu for controls settings and right-click the game's title in the Steam library window to see if there's a configuration tool or something.

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on July 14, 2012, 12:05:43 PM
The only problem that I have now (which is really minor), is that the start-up logos end up being way too big and I end up seeing the upper left corner of those screens while the rest is left off-screen. Other than that, the actual game menu and game itself is completely centered on screen, so that's all that matters.
Do you know what your computer's resolution is? Since this version is likely ported from the 360, the logo might not be able to scale properly to SD screens or something. But as long as the game itself works...

Spark Of Spirit

How to play Sonic CD:

1. Like any other Sonic game - Just get to the goal of every level and beat the bosses.

2. Get 50 rings and get the Time Stones at the end of every act until you have them all. This gets harder to do as the acts get pretty hard to keep rings if you never time travel.

3. Find a past post, and gather a good bit of speed. Keep your speed going until you travel through time and end up in the past. Search the past for Dr. Robotnik's evil machine and destroy it. Do this for every level in the game for the good ending. Secret tip: When you destroy the past machines, all enemies in the future are gone and you have made a "Good Future" thereby saving a piece of the planet.

I recommend the third one. You really appreciate all the work that went into the levels when you known how to explore them. You'll probably need a video walkthrough to get the ones in Wacky Workbench, however. Those were terribly placed.

I also have to add that the soundtrack is excellent. American or Japanese, there are tons of killer tunes on each.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton