Sonic The Hedgehog

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 16, 2011, 09:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

That's better. >:(

I didn't pay it any attention until I heard it in some fangame after I already played Sonic CD and THEN replayed Sonic CD. It got stuck in my head after that.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Lord Dalek

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGxs_hgWHqw - well this is interesting (if not particularly well done).

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, I finally got around to playing some of Sonic Colors on my sister's Wii. I played through the Tropical Resort zone of the game. Overall it was pretty good. It's slightly different than Sonic Generations in terms of modern Sonic's abilities, and it took me some getting used to with controlling Sonic via the Wiimote and nun chuck, but the game is definitely a lot of fun to play. :thumbup:

Foggle

Use a GameCube controller if you have one. It's the best way to play Colors IMO. :thumbup:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Unfortunately, I don't have one, since I never owned a GameCube. :(

Avaitor

It shouldn't be too hard to obtain one. Even some stores might have a pack with a controller and a memory card or two. I got one with all of that a few years ago. It'd be good to get a GCN controller if you plan to own a Wii. Especially if you plan to use the VC, since they're cheaper and better to use than a Classic Controller. P;us you can play old Gamecube games on it easily

Although for some reason, I can't hook up my controller to my Wii anymore without having it crash. No idea why.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

IMO, the Wiimote+chuck is the best way to play Colors.I find it easier to remember where the duck and slide is with it.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

How do you guys think the Rush and Advance games compare to the 2D classics?

Foggle

The Advance games are pretty sweet. Haven't played enough of the Rushs to comment on them.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on August 30, 2012, 12:47:06 AM
The Advance games are pretty sweet. 

In comparison to the originals?

Avaitor

I've only played the first Advance game, but I liked it. It's been ages since I played it, but it's nowhere near as good as the Genesis classics, but it still kicked plenty of ass from what I recall.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Foggle

Quote from: talonmalon333 on August 30, 2012, 11:14:17 AM
In comparison to the originals?
Quote from: Avaitor on August 30, 2012, 11:21:07 AM
it's nowhere near as good as the Genesis classics, but it still kicked plenty of ass

Nel_Annette

Advance 1 was probably the closest we got to a Sonic The Hedgehog 4 at the time. It's a great game and I honestly really enjoy it. Advance 2 was... okay, but it really was a "hold-right-athon" and getting all the Emeralds for every character was a pain, and the Knuckles boss was just cheap. Advance 3 I liked at first, but the partner system was actually kind of annoying in retrospect and there were too many instances where you could be crushed to death. That said, Advance 3 had some cool level types compared to your usual 2D Sonic (we start off with a city level rather than a Green Hill-type, Chaos Angel is just awesome-looking) and the music in all three games is fantastic. The character selection is awesome too, and like in StH3&K, each character brings something different to the table.

As for Rush and Rush Adventure... I really don't get the love for those titles, and I know that a lot of people love Rush. But the boring levels, constant boosting, trick system, and that soundtrack just don't do it for me (except for Vela Nova and Wrapped In Black). But once again, a lot of people love Rush, and think that the soundtrack is the best in the series, so it's all in your tastes I suppose. But Altitude Limit sucks, no matter what. Screw that level. Rush Adventure is a bit better to me, because I actually think the levels look very interesting and differ greatly from what we're used to seeing. And despite me not liking that style of music very much, I really enjoy the music from Sky Babylon.

And I think it's pretty ironic that as much as I can't get into the Rush games, Blaze The Cat is my favorite Sonic character, heh.

Spark Of Spirit

Advance 1 = Best 2D Sonic game after the classics and Sonic 8-bit. It's not perfect, but perfect for a portable Sonic fix.
Advance 2 = Dislike it. Every level is a race course with annoying jumping (not platforming, just leaping randomly) and the game gets infuriating after Sky Canyon.
Advance 3 = Decent. The level design is a mess, but since it's more platform-y, I can get into it. I could do without the bosses (only Advance 1 has good bosses in the trilogy) and hub world, but it's decent.
Rush 1 = Really good. It's completely unlike any of the other Sonic games, and unlike Advance 2, the level design has variety and it is the one Sonic game where boosting feels genuinely exciting. Also, Blaze is the first new friend since Knuckles that I really enjoyed playing as.
Rush Adventure = Good, but boring. Some levels are really fun and exciting, but a lot of levels are not as exciting even if they have less death drops than the terrible ones in Rush's last two zones, yet the bosses are less time consuming. I do not like the hub emphasis though, I prefer it optional.

BONUS:

Colors DS = Sigh. BORING. the Rush formula has officially wore out its welcome. Unlike Colors Wii, the wisps totally break the flow of any levels and they all control awfully. The bosses are terrible, about as terrible as Rush's final boss is. The music is a downgrade severely from the Wii game, the missions are garbage and Asteroid Coaster is worse than any of the harder levels in Rush, the levels have no proper branching paths and the spindash was totally removed.

The lesson? Ditch the Rush formula and give me some Classic Sonic games on the portables again that are closer to Advance 1 and the 8-bit/classic games.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Nel_Annette

Ah, yes, Colors DS, that ruined Planet Wisp with constant drilling sections (quit interrupting the music for that shit) and Asteroid Coaster with it's awful "run from the skull and if you stop even once for anything you will die" section. Ugh.What they were doing with that had so much potential to stand on its own apart from the console version, but the level design and Wisp controls were just awful.