Sonic The Hedgehog

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 16, 2011, 09:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

I loathed the drill in Colors DS, it controlled really badly when it was so easy to control in Colors Wii, and all the drilling sections were terribly designed and most of the time were forced when in Colors Wii they were mostly used for exploring and were optional.

I've tried several times to replay it, but it's just not a very good game. While I don't think Generations 3DS is all that great, at least most of the main levels are fun especially on the classic side (and Tropical Resort for both Classic and Modern blow away Colors DS), but I just really don't find Colors DS all that fun to even casually play.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Nel_Annette

Personally, I thought Classic Sonic controlled too poorly in generations 3DS to really be enjoyable. Only level I really liked was Modern Mushroom Hill. I dunno, every other level in that game just... isn't fun. Another case of wasted potential to me, especially since it got to use it's own set of levels.

I mean, they put a lot into those levels that are from the original games, (like the Nights head in Radical Highway), and I appreciate the little nods, but, like, take Emerald Coast. One of my favorite 3D Sonic levels, and neither the classic or modern versions of that stage feel anything like the original. Just a bunch of random blocky peers and squares of land. It's hard for me to explain, but all the nostalgia mixed with newness the console version did, the 3DS version failed to do. That and almost every level had a section I absolutely loathed.

And Sonic fans have probably given this complaint a million times, but it's almost impossible to overlook: You have Water Palace. Where the hell are the other portable games' levels? Give me Sunset Park, Chaos Angel, Robotnik Winter, something!

Foggle

Spark Of Spirit

Nobody click those links please.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Nel_Annette

heh. Like I ever gave a shit about what Jim Sterling thinks.  :blush:

Lord Dalek

I like Advance 1 (even though its a pain in the kneck when it comes to Chaos Emeralds) quite a bit. The best I could say about it at the time was it was the first Sonic portable game that actually FELT like a Sonic Team developed Sonic game (and I say that coming off that horrible sense of disappointment when I got my Game Gear only to find the version of Sonic 2 packed in was like the worst game ever made).

Spark Of Spirit

Oh yeah, the special stages. The special stages in the advance games are terrible, the only real blemish on Advance 1, IMO. That was actually the one thing I preferred in Rush and Colors DS over the Advance games.

Quote from: Lord Dalek on August 31, 2012, 08:18:03 AM
I like Advance 1 (even though its a pain in the kneck when it comes to Chaos Emeralds) quite a bit. The best I could say about it at the time was it was the first Sonic portable game that actually FELT like a Sonic Team developed Sonic game (and I say that coming off that horrible sense of disappointment when I got my Game Gear only to find the version of Sonic 2 packed in was like the worst game ever made).
Sonic 2 8-bit? I think everyone played that game back then. Such a shame too since it was easily the worst proper Sonic game at the time. Sonic 1 8-bit is still a class game, if I do say.

Lord Dalek

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on September 01, 2012, 07:27:10 PM
Sonic 2 8-bit? I think everyone played that game back then. Such a shame too since it was easily the worst proper Sonic game at the time. Sonic 1 8-bit is still a class game, if I do say.
Yeah it seems like Sonic Chaos was a deliberate attempt by Sega to apologize for the unplayable mess they dumped on us with Sonic 2. Still didn't get the feel of the Genesis titles right but it was a step in the right direction.

talonmalon333

I can't confirm this for myself, but lately I've been hearing people say the Adventure games have aged... very badly. I'd like to get some of you guys' thoughts. What do you think?

I haven't played either of them for a long time. They do hold a lot of nostalgia value for me, particularly SA2 as I spent many a summer day in the Chao Garden back when I was a child. But I can easily imagine both games being quite dated nowadays. If I remember correctly, they contain many of the same flaws that later games have, which makes me wonder if they would also be panned had they come out a few years later, when such flaws would've been expected to be corrected (though they are lacking the retarded gimmicks future games possess).

But of course, that's just speculation on my part. But it makes me feel they are games best left as a memory.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: talonmalon333 on September 18, 2012, 11:14:10 PM
I can't confirm this for myself, but lately I've been hearing people say the Adventure games have aged... very badly. I'd like to get some of you guys' thoughts. What do you think?

Lately? How far behind the times are you? People have been bashing the Adventure games for a few years, almost since Sonic '06 when some people said that the older 3D Sonic games were good but others claimed that they were shit and the people who like them are just holding onto nostalgia.

Its all just opinion. The people bashing the games can believe that they are objectively right all they want, but that doesn't change the fact that other people like those games for what they are, and some still like it to this day. The bottom line is that if a game is fun for you, the its fine to consider it good. It doesn't make it a solid fact, and other people have the right to dislike it, but if someone believes that they are factually right about their opinions than they are probably just under the delusion that  everyone must perceive things the same exact way they do, which is just plain stupid.

I haven't played the Sonic Adventure games in a while, but I know people who still play them and love them to this day. They are flawed games, and they HAVE definitely dated, IMO, but if they were really terrible then they wouldn't have even been fun to play back when they came out, yet there are still people who enjoy them.

You shouldn't just base your opinions on what other people say, anyways. If you think the games are dated to the point of being unplayable, then that's OK, but if you only have that perception AFTER hearing other people say it, then that means you're just letting your opinion get influenced by those of others.

For the record, if the Sonic Adventure games did have all of the same flaws to the same extent as some of the later 3D games, they would be unplayable. I can point you to quite a few different LPs on those games where people clearly have a fine time with the controls and aren't bothered that much by the camera.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on September 18, 2012, 11:23:46 PM
Lately? How far behind the times are you?

Not at all. I knew people think they're dated. It's just that the topic has been on the rise lately, so I felt like bringing it back up here out of interest in what you guys think, being Sonic fans and all more intelligent than the average game basher.

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on September 18, 2012, 11:23:46 PMYou shouldn't just base your opinions on what other people say, anyways. If you think the games are dated to the point of being unplayable, then that's OK, but if you only have that perception AFTER hearing other people say it, then that means you're just letting your opinion get influenced by those of others.

Now where'd you get that idea? I just want to hear what you guys think. I just have this thing with games where I remember them quite fondly, and if the game might not be fun to play anymore, I sometimes think that it might just be better to leave them alone and remember them as they were. I'd do the same for games like Donkey Kong 64.

If I ever feel the desire to go back and see how the Adventure games today, nothing that anyone else says will change that. :sweat:

I do imagine that I could still have fun with the Sonic levels though (and by extension, the Shadow levels), like the city street ones. I probably wouldn't like the levels with Big, Tails, or Knuckles though, but then again I never particularly did, so my patience for them would probably be even smaller now. :P

Nel_Annette

I still love them. Yes, they are flawed as hell, but good lord I love Adventure's style. Though sometimes I feel like the only one in the world who liked the hub worlds. What can I say? I like hub worlds.

Chao Garden can fuck off though.

Foggle

They have not aged well at all, but they're still very fun - the Sonic levels, at least. I think you have to have played them back in the day to enjoy them now, though. This isn't to say that they're only good due to nostalgia, but they're not exactly accessible or polished by today's standards, so someone who played Sonic Colors or Generations first might not think much of them. The camera is not so good (though it works... usually), the non-hedgehog gameplay bores (or, in the case of Big, frustrates), and the cutscenes are downright painful to watch. They're also shorter than the average CoD campaign. That said, the music is still ace, as are the actual 3D platforming stages and the boss battles in 2.

Eddy

Yeah, they haven't aged well but I still like them. Even if the Sonic/Shadow levels are the only real good thing about them.

I don't know how many times I played City Escape in SA2: Battle.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Nel on September 19, 2012, 12:38:56 AM
Chao Garden can fuck off though.

My 10 year old self logged over 100 hours into that place. :wth: