Sonic The Hedgehog

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 16, 2011, 09:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nel_Annette

If X had been more like its first episode, it would have been great. But then... human world... Chris... ugh.

And don't redub the OVA! You'd lose the greatness! The delicious cheesiness. "Strange! Isn't it?!"  .3.

Avaitor

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on January 21, 2013, 07:00:05 PM
Quote from: Avaitor on January 21, 2013, 06:56:31 PM
Oh wow, the artwork reminds me of the "Sonic Boom" OP and ED from Sonic CD. Now THAT'S something I'd like to see more of.

If I'm not mistaken, part of the animation from that opening is taken DIRECTLY from footage in this OVA. Also, the ending animation of Sonic CD was done specially for the game by the same animators of this OVA.
I figured. The artwork was too similar for that to be a coincidence.

I definitely need to watch this again.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

Oh wow, the artwork reminds me of the "Sonic Boom" OP and ED from Sonic CD. Now THAT'S something I'd like to see more of.
The music too, is pure Sonic CD... lyrics aside. Which was something Colors also went back to with the brighter artwork.

Obviously a 2D Sonic game with this art is impossible, but at least they have basically retained the aesthetic in Colors and Generations. A better written story with deeper tones is about all I could hope for from it.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Sonic Colors is definitely one of my top 5 game OSTs, theme song aside.

Rynnec

If we ever get a new Sonic cartoon, it should take after the OVA, no question about it.

Quote from: Nel_Annette on January 21, 2013, 07:01:32 PM
If X had been more like its first episode, it would have been great. But then... human world... Chris... ugh.

Ugh Chris. Easily the worst Sonic character ever. People may talk shit about Sally and Shadow, but neither were on his level (though Sally could get pretty close at her worst)

QuoteAnd don't redub the OVA! You'd lose the greatness! The delicious cheesiness. "Strange! Isn't it?!"  .3.

Who says they can't pull a Harmony of Despair and make the acting intentionally cheesy? ;)

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 21, 2013, 07:04:55 PM
The music too, is pure Sonic CD... lyrics aside. Which was something Colors also went back to with the brighter artwork.

Obviously a 2D Sonic game with this art is impossible, but at least they have basically retained the aesthetic in Colors and Generations. A better written story with deeper tones is about all I could hope for from it.

Don't forget about this underrated piece.

Spark Of Spirit

Basically, I like that they sort of brought back the CD aesthetic for the recent 3D games.

Quote from: Nel_Annette on January 21, 2013, 07:01:32 PM
Well, if I recall correctly the original concept had no human world stuff, so I don't know what happened there.

QuoteAnd don't redub the OVA! You'd lose the greatness! The delicious cheesiness. "Strange! Isn't it?!"  .3.
Mostly I just want it to be re-released in general, the thing deserves better exposure and I think a better dub would probably help as much as I enjoy lines like that.  :sweat:
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Rynnec on January 21, 2013, 07:07:39 PMDon't forget about this underrated piece.
The best thing about the recent games has been a return to this style of music, aesthetic-wise. I always liked that sort of poppy early 90s/late 80s vibe that borders on rock and hip hop. They sort of split the pop, rock, and hip hop into separate styles when they used to be basically the same thing in the old games.

Foggle

Sonic Adventure's OST has a lot of funk and jazz influence. Easily the best part of that game IMO.

Rynnec

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 21, 2013, 07:21:39 PM
Quote from: Rynnec on January 21, 2013, 07:07:39 PMDon't forget about this underrated piece.
The best thing about the recent games has been a return to this style of music, aesthetic-wise. I always liked that sort of poppy early 90s/late 80s vibe that borders on rock and hip hop. They sort of split the pop, rock, and hip hop into separate styles when they used to be basically the same thing in the old games.

I can see what they were trying to do by splitting them up, like giving each character their own genre of music (Sonic gets rock, Knuckles gets rap, Amy and Tails get pop, later Shadow would get industrial (or something and Silver gets techno/pop, etc.) but at the same time I'm glad they reduced that gimmick to the character themes and went back to going all-out with the stage music.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Rynnec on January 21, 2013, 07:27:38 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on January 21, 2013, 07:21:39 PM

I can see what they were trying to do by splitting them up, like giving each character their own genre of music (Sonic gets rock, Knuckles gets rap, Amy and Tails get pop, later Shadow would get industrial (or something and Silver gets techno/pop, etc.) but at the same time I'm glad they reduced that gimmick to the character themes and went back to going all-out with the stage music.
Yeah, character themes in different genres are fine, but in SA2 it lead to a lot of bland stage themes and only a handful great ones.

Quote from: Foggle on January 21, 2013, 07:24:35 PM
Sonic Adventure's OST has a lot of funk and jazz influence. Easily the best part of that game IMO.
Yep, but that was about the point the started to split, IMO. They started to give hip hop to Knuckles and Rouge, pop to Amy and Tails, and rock to Sonic and Shadow not long after. I personally liked it more in the older games when they were all basically one style before they tried to focus on specific styles.

I mean Sonic Adventure had Red Mountain's theme, then went into Crank The Heat Up!, which was my favorite music cue change in the game next to Windy Valley from the tornado into the sky route. It was the last game until Colors to really shake the music up.

Avaitor

I'm watching Sage's video now, out of curiosity.

If his "suck my dick" rant is any indication, I should just stop.

Also, Dr. Robotonik's Mean Bean Machine kicks ass. Screw the haters.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Avaitor on January 21, 2013, 08:13:23 PMAlso, Dr. Robotonik's Mean Bean Machine kicks ass. Screw the haters.
That game gets so hard so fast. But yeah, it's decent.

Avaitor

Well that sucked. I can see how the OVA isn't a masterpiece, but I don't think it was supposed to be. He's really overselling its weakness, if it is at all.

I'll watch the actual OVA sometime this week, but I'm already betting that I'm calling bs on Sage.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Its a fun little story that doesn't take itself that seriously. Most of what he complains about is just played for laughs in the OVA. The voice acting IS horrendous (though in a way that makes me chuckle), but if you can't stand it there's always the Japanese version.

Spark Of Spirit

Rumor: New Sonic game to be revealed next month

QuoteOne source has shared what they allege to be details about the new game. The game?s title doesn?t appear to be finalized yet, but its platforms are. It will be released on Wii U, PS3, 360, 3DS, PS Vita, PC, and ?Next gen? consoles.

QuoteThe source elaborates that the console version of this new game will be sticking with the recent formula seen in Sonic Unleashed (Daytime), Sonic Colours and Sonic Generations where gameplay switches between full 3D movement and 2D side-scrolling sections. Multiple routes through a stage will return, but this time you will have an incentive to play through them all. Each route in a stage will lead to one of two or three exits at the end that will each take you to a different stage. You will always end up at the same final stage, though. Our source says final stage count hasn?t been decided, but the developers are trying for a least 20 diferent stages, not including boss battles.

QuoteCharacter wise, our source says you will begin the game with Sonic and unlock other characters to play as by completing stages. It?s been made clear that this doesn?t mean 20+ characters are available, though. ?For example, you might unlock Knuckles in any one of three stages. Sometimes, if you already have a character that would be unlocked first, a different one may be unlocked. Altogether we?re looking at about 10 different characters to play with, and no, Sonic isn?t getting any new friends. All of the playable characters will be existing Sonic characters.?

Our source goes on to explain that each character will have their own skills to help them progress in stages easier where others will have more difficulty or simply cannot ala Sonic 3 & Knuckles and the Sonic Advance series. One example described involves Sonic and Shadow not being able to make it up a wall, while Tails can easily fly up there or Knuckles can climb, allowing them access to an exit Sonic and Shadow can?t reach. Despite that, our source assures us that stages can be replayed with any character of your choice, though.

So basically it looks like this game's main sell is exploration and branching paths with S3&K style character choices. I'm definitely interested in where this is going if it's true.